Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 09:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Screwed up, canceled score

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Screwed up, canceled score [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2009, 18:47
Hi guys,

I took the GMAT today. Everything went well today before the test. Everything went smoothly at the test center as well as I arrived on time and got checked in. I feel I did pretty good on the essays.

I took the 8 min break and started the Quant section. I was a bit nervous at first but eventually settled in. I took about 2 min even on average on each question from question #1 to about #7-8. Then somewhere along the way, I got stuck on a couple of questions and ended up taking too much time trying to solve them, rather than guessing and moving on. By the time I got through half of the Quant section, I had taken about 5 more minutes than I should have at that point. I tried to speed up but only got to about question #33 with approximately 2 minutes left. For the rest of the questions I just glanced at the question stem and made random guesses.

Knowing I had messed up the Quant section, I made up my mind to cancel the score during the optional break. For the verbal section I worked on about a third of the questions and the rest I just made random guesses. At the end of the test, I canceled my score. $250 out of my wallet with nothing to show for.

I feel totally disappointed... More so because I took the GMAT twice back in 2005 and never had any problem finishing the quant section. FYI, I scored 670 and 680 on my previous two attempts. I was looking forward to getting over 700 mark this time around but I guess I will have to try again.

I studied for 2 months. Books I studied include OG12, OG Math review, Kaplan premier and MGMAT SC. I took 9 practice CATs and here's how I did:

GMATprep 1: Q44 V41 T700
MGMAT 1: Q43 V38 T670
MGMAT 2: Q44 V40 T700
Kaplan 1: Q46 V44 T730
Kaplan 2: Q50 V33 T680
Kaplan 3: Q48 V36 T680
GMATprep 2: Q49 V41 T740
GMATprep 1(retake): Q50 V41 T750 (Repeats: Q: 2, V: 3-4)
MGMAT 3: Q48 V40 T720

I did have problem finishing MGMAT quant sections on time. I didn't have that problem on quant sections of GMATprep or Kaplan CATs though. Now I will have to wait another month to take the GMAT again. I guess I should try out the GMAT timer thing that I never bothered to look at... Any advice or comments are welcome.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: SSE
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 306 [0], given: 22

Re: Screwed up, canceled score [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2009, 00:52
Sorry seseoppa, it must have been a terrible experience.
It is surprising that you did so well in the practice tests and such a thing happened on the test day, and you had already did the test twice!
What happened with those 2 problems that took too much time to tackle?
Try to improve your timing with the GMAT Timer, but remember that it's not a race, it's better to use all the time.

I'm sure it was only bad luck, don't give up!

Performance: Gmat | Toefl
Contributions: The Idioms Test | All Geometry Formulas | Friendly Error Log | GMAT Analytics
MSc in Management: All you need to know | Student Lifestyle | Class Profiles

Intern
Intern

Re: Screwed up, canceled score [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2009, 08:22
saruba, thanks for the encouragement. I know the MGAMT CAT scores were skewed because I had to stop the time on the quant sections to finish. The couple of Q's I got stuck on the GMAT yesterday were word problem if I remember correctly. I was setting up and solving linear equations and I guess I took too much time doing so. I suppose I spent about 4+ min each on those Q's...

On GMATprep and Kaplan CATs, I was able to make up for the lost time by solving other easier questions quickly. But it didn't work out that way yesterday... Hopefully GMAT timer will help me manage my timing better. Now I have an extra month to prepare but the suspense is killing me. I wish I can just take the GMAT tomorrow and get it over with.

Worst comes to worst I can just use the 680 I got back in 2005 but I'd love to score 700+ since I'm trying to get as much financial aid as possible.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 32

Re: Screwed up, canceled score [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2009, 18:48
its probably an 'off' day. work on timing and remember to note the time remaining.

with intl loans becoming an issue now... its becoming more important to get a high gmat score in order to secure more $$ aid....

gd luck!
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9398 [0], given: 3696

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Screwed up, canceled score [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2009, 21:43
Expert's post
Sorry to hear about this. Bummer. When is the attempt #2?
Next time, don't even consider the option - most schools wont' care if you have a 300 followed by 650 - they'll just take 650.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Screwed up, canceled score [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2009, 06:12
Thanks for the kind words... Attempt #2 is going to be in early Oct. I canceled my score because I heard that some schools might take an average of all scores. I guess I should have found out whether the schools I'm applying to take the highest or average...
Current Student
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 20

Re: Screwed up, canceled score [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 21:34
I personally think that it's not a good idea to cancel the score. I had time issues and guessed something like the last 10 quant questions. Maybe less than that, but definitely more than 4. I thought that was it and I bombed. I ended up with a 690. 44 in Quant, all things considering that was an ok score. 41 in Verbal. However, imagine if I got a 45 verbal, I would definitely do over 700. That's why it's a good idea to see the score, you have little (if anything) to lose and a lot to gain.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 6

Re: Screwed up, canceled score [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 11:44
bb wrote:
Sorry to hear about this. Bummer. When is the attempt #2?
Next time, don't even consider the option - most schools wont' care if you have a 300 followed by 650 - they'll just take 650.
seseoppa wrote:
Hi guys,

I took the GMAT today. Everything went well today before the test. Everything went smoothly at the test center as well as I arrived on time and got checked in. I feel I did pretty good on the essays.

I took the 8 min break and started the Quant section. I was a bit nervous at first but eventually settled in. I took about 2 min even on average on each question from question #1 to about #7-8. Then somewhere along the way, I got stuck on a couple of questions and ended up taking too much time trying to solve them, rather than guessing and moving on. By the time I got through half of the Quant section, I had taken about 5 more minutes than I should have at that point. I tried to speed up but only got to about question #33 with approximately 2 minutes left. For the rest of the questions I just glanced at the question stem and made random guesses.

Knowing I had messed up the Quant section, I made up my mind to cancel the score during the optional break. For the verbal section I worked on about a third of the questions and the rest I just made random guesses. At the end of the test, I canceled my score. $250 out of my wallet with nothing to show for.

I feel totally disappointed... More so because I took the GMAT twice back in 2005 and never had any problem finishing the quant section. FYI, I scored 670 and 680 on my previous two attempts. I was looking forward to getting over 700 mark this time around but I guess I will have to try again.

I studied for 2 months. Books I studied include OG12, OG Math review, Kaplan premier and MGMAT SC. I took 9 practice CATs and here's how I did:

GMATprep 1: Q44 V41 T700
MGMAT 1: Q43 V38 T670
MGMAT 2: Q44 V40 T700
Kaplan 1: Q46 V44 T730
Kaplan 2: Q50 V33 T680
Kaplan 3: Q48 V36 T680
GMATprep 2: Q49 V41 T740
GMATprep 1(retake): Q50 V41 T750 (Repeats: Q: 2, V: 3-4)
MGMAT 3: Q48 V40 T720

I did have problem finishing MGMAT quant sections on time. I didn't have that problem on quant sections of GMATprep or Kaplan CATs though. Now I will have to wait another month to take the GMAT again. I guess I should try out the GMAT timer thing that I never bothered to look at... Any advice or comments are welcome.

seseoppa
Tough Luck but I think it was really bad strategy on your part..!!
I'm sure you were doing a lot better than you thought you were. Chances are you were doing extremely well thru' ur quants sections and the guessing the last few would've made little difference to your score...!! I have seen that enough number of times during my GMATprep tests. I used to get scaled scores of 50 even guessing the last 5 or 6 questions. What matters more is how many tough questions you answer correctly on the trot..!!
Besides, even if you had made up ur mind about cancelling the scores, you didnt have to guess on the verbal section. You couldve and should have taken on the verbal section like nothing happened. Wouldve at least given you a good idea about the kind of questions GMAT throws at you and seen how well you were prepared for them..!!
I hope and pray that you do not repeat the same mistake again. And please take a lot of GMATprep tests to get a feel of how the GMAT evaluates your score. You'll know what I'm trying to say..
Re: Screwed up, canceled score   [#permalink] 22 Oct 2009, 11:44