Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 06:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Second attempt - still 680! Need an advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Second attempt - still 680! Need an advice [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2003, 22:30
First time (this year) I got 680 (Q50 V31). I've spent 3 month preparing for the test and was quite statisfied with the result (since I've started almost from the very begining in the verbal section (i took gmat in 1999 when i was just out of the university and got about 11 points in verbal section 2% percentile). It should be noted that as a student I was majoring in Mathematics and therefore quantitative section of gmat never was a problem for me (always 50 points - almost without special preparation (just minor refreshment before test day))

I took test in April. I believed that I've improved my verbal skills since then. (Took toefl with a reasonable result 263).
I've scheduled my second attempt for gmat to the end of august, allocating more than 1 month for additional preparation for gmat.
I've reviewed OG, took 4 PR tests ( never in PR I've got less then 34 in verbal (max = 41)). I've felt very confident and thought that I will reach 720-730 at least.

Horrible part :cry:
I got one more time EXACTLY the same result Q50 V31 !!!!!! :shock:
I can't understand how this could have happened! I felt much more prepared for the test this time. Nevertheless, I might say that gmat (it seems to me) has changed a little bit. (I've got normal distibution question and many probability questions - in quantitative section - but it is not a big problem for me - I just noted that something might have changed).

About verbal: I found that verbal part has also changed. I've recieved about 2 Bold Face questions (like CR 205 in OG) 2 or 3 completion CR question (which of the following would best complete <blah-blah-blah> )
and NONE of strengthening or weakening CR questions. SC was a little bit strange (a lot of long strange convoluted sentences with vague meaning just like those in kaplan). Reading was always my bigest trouble - however this time RC passages were OK (much like those in OG).

I just want to ask advice from the respected audience. Has anybody encoutered the same problem (not raised his score despite intesive study)? Should I try my luck one more time? Or just forget about the retaking test and try to reinforce other parts of my application package (essay, etc).
In case of retaking: When should I retake (in 3 weeks (beliving that it was just my bad luck on second attempt) or in 3 months? Does anybody have any suggestion about preparation for verbal in my case (please note that I know OG almost by heart).

I would be very grateful for any suggestions. May be somebody was in my shoes?

GOOD LUCK on your test day!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2003, 23:00
I'd advise you to take the test once again in a month or two.
If you have an opportunity to take a GMAT Verbal course on MBA Consult - do it !!!
Your GREAT advantage is that you are doing perfect on Q-Section so you have to concentrate only on Verbal.
If you improve it just a litle bit you will have a score that is beyond 700
udachi!!!

Too much is not enough...

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2003, 00:17
Mikhail - I think you are correct to believe that the GMAT has changed since you took it in 1999. Frankly, I would say that the GMAT now is probably quite a bit different (and more difficult) than it was even a couple of years ago ... and some would say even a few months ago.

So getting 680 with the same Q and V breakdowns as you did 4 years ago isn't implausible. I would agree with Bono that with some additional study on the verbal section -- along with your solid skills in math -- you have a good chance of getting your score above 700.

Of course, your score is very good even if you don't decide to retake. But it's up to you and your goals.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2003, 12:09
Well, I had a very similar experience in the verbal. Same kind of questions, 1 bold face and hard SC.
Regarding the re-taking, you should better think what are your chances of being accepted with a 680 and with a 720 (let say you can get this). I think nothing will really change. If I were you, I will keep the 680 and concentrate on the application, but it is just an opinion.

I have tried 4 times and didn┬┤t pass 620, so I will be very happy with a 680.

good luck
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2003, 23:35
gladstone wrote:
Mikhail - I think you are correct to believe that the GMAT has changed since you took it in 1999. Frankly, I would say that the GMAT now is probably quite a bit different (and more difficult) than it was even a couple of years ago ... and some would say even a few months ago.

So getting 680 with the same Q and V breakdowns as you did 4 years ago isn't implausible. I would agree with Bono that with some additional study on the verbal section -- along with your solid skills in math -- you have a good chance of getting your score above 700.

Of course, your score is very good even if you don't decide to retake. But it's up to you and your goals.

(I bet you are doing poor in CR :lol: )
He did not receive 680 4 years ago, he recieved the same 680 2 months ago!!!!! And saying that test changed a lot since 2 MONTHS ago!!
Dude! :lol: :lol:
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2003, 23:38
MBA04 wrote:
Well, I had a very similar experience in the verbal. Same kind of questions, 1 bold face and hard SC.
Regarding the re-taking, you should better think what are your chances of being accepted with a 680 and with a 720 (let say you can get this). I think nothing will really change. If I were you, I will keep the 680 and concentrate on the application, but it is just an opinion.

good luck

Are you going to apply to top 3?
If the answer is "no" then: That's the difference my friend ;)))

You should hit at least 700 to improve your chances on getting into the top schools :twisted:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2003, 00:00
Dmitry wrote:
MBA04 wrote:

good luck

Are you going to apply to top 3?
If the answer is "no" then: That's the difference my friend ;)))

You should hit at least 700 to improve your chances on getting into the top schools :twisted:

I agree with Dmitry
  [#permalink] 28 Aug 2003, 00:00