Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 06:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Second GMAT - 540 -> 590 w/37V. Mixed feelings.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Second GMAT - 540 -> 590 w/37V. Mixed feelings. [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2013, 04:20
I'm not sure if this is in the right section.

Just came out of my second GMAT, still think I can do better.

First GMAT: 540, Q36, V28. AWA 5, IR 3.

Second GMAT: 590, Q34 :(, V37, AWA?, IR 4.

Must say that I hate IR. Few practice resources available, and the time constraints makes no sense.

Here's my story:
- First exam I solely studied from MGMAT. Bought the whole set, went through it as well as OG13 in more than 3 months.
I only took one GMAT prep test before that and scored 570.

- Second exam, I decided to go through MGMAT quickly for Quant. Took one GMAT Prep test, and one MGMAT.

For verbal, I started eGMAT one week before the exam for SC. YES. I improved 9 points solely using eGMAT which is crazy. :shock: Even I didn't believe them before. SC isn't confusing at all nowadays. CR from PS Bible, RC reading Economist articles only.

I didn't have a time to test for the second time after studying Verbal, so I was pleasantly surprised to see V37 which is 82%.

What's really pissing me off, is that I keep scoring 40Q in my MGMAT and GMAT prep, but my highest on the real thing is 36Q.

If I score 640, 40Q, 37Q I'd be extremely happy. My background is quite unique (Middle East, entrepreneur) and I don't need to score 700+ for a good school.

My question for you guys is, does it make sense to apply to round 2 with my low Quant? Or should I retake it and score 640 and apply in round 3? I know that seats are very limited in round 3 and they only pick 20% from round 3, but I really think it'll boost my chances.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Affiliations: Economist GMAT Tutor
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 3

Premium Member
Re: Second GMAT - 540 -> 590 w/37V. Mixed feelings. [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2014, 11:48
Expert's post
Hi there,

I'd say it depends on the average GMAT score of the schools to which you are applying. Are their averages around 640? If that's the case, you may want to wait. Of course, that's always a gamble, as you have a very short amount of time in which to boost your score 50 points. Is it an option to take your time prepping for your next GMAT sitting and apply next year?

Regards,
Elizabeth

http://econgm.at/GCfreetrial
For free GMAT practice questions, follow us @econgmat_qs
Economist GMAT Tutor
(866) 292-0660

Re: Second GMAT - 540 -> 590 w/37V. Mixed feelings.   [#permalink] 24 Jan 2014, 11:48