Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 08:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Second MBA: Profile Evaluation and Suggestions Needed

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Second MBA: Profile Evaluation and Suggestions Needed [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2013, 23:10
Hello Admissionado,

I am already an MBA and am interested in a 2nd MBA very soon. Could you please have a look at my profile and give me your thoughts on that? It would be really helpful. The main reason I look forward for a 2nd MBA is that I did my first once straight after engineering and didnt have any experience and thus took a job which was first one to come on campus (I have not realized that its not where I want to be). I also realize that I need to get into a great college which had a alum base which can help me into Strategy Consulting or General Management.

Nationality: Indian
Background: 85% score in High School. Computer Science Engineer from average engineering college in India (top 15 of my class).
First MBA: Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur (ranked in top 20 schools in India)

Work experience: One of the Big 4 accounting firms in Risk Advisory

Summer Internship: Financial Trading and Hedging Model building at India's Biggest commodities exchange.
Initiatives at work:
1. Formed a team to solve a compliance issue of my company and successfully heading the team. Appreciated by Senior Leadership.
2. Authored a White Paper paper and a proposal which would increase our reach to a particular group of clients. Appreciated by Manager and leadership.
3. Developed a standard pricing tool to price/charge the clients for our services.

Extra Curricular Activities:
1. Placement Committee In charge in B school and Engineering. Some leadership experience there.
2. Editor of annual college Magazine and newsletter at IIT
3. Director of a Business Club (have good leadership experiences during 2 years at the club) at Engineering college.
4. Annual Festival coordinator for 2 cultural and business festivals in College.

Teaching Experience: I teach/coach students on personality development and interview skills at both graduate level and undergraduate level in partnership with a leading Coaching and Mentoring company in India.

Internet Startup: A small internet venture, more than 200 regular readers. Very nascent stage. Planning to grow in coming months.

Couple of Research Oriented projects in Finance during MBA (Financial Model Building).

I have passed of my MBA in 2012 and have been working for around 1 year now. I am currently into IT Risk advisory and want to move into strategy consulting or Finance roles. I am planning to do a second MBA form US after having a total of 3 or 4 years of work experience.

Could you please give me some feedback on my current profile and how I should develop a good profile in coming 2-3 years so that I can be on a good platform when i start my applications. Also, after seeing my profile, can you suggest some schools which can be my stretch, reach and safety schools ( I would be interested in researching more on them and taking to alumni in the next year).

Thanks a lot for help

Aayush
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 535 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Second MBA: Profile Evaluation and Suggestions Needed [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2013, 22:08
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Here there Aayush,
Good to hear from you my friend!

So first of all let me write that you can in most cases apply for a second MBA, and I have seen quite a few Indian candidates with one MBA be successful in applying for the second one. Do be aware that there are some schools which will not accept your application (Duke for example, last I checked), as they have a policy of not accepting applications from candidates whoa re already in possession of a first MBA. But most schools do.

Be aware thought that is does add an additional challenge to you application, and when you do finally apply, you should be factoring that into your consideration as you build your school strategy, and decide where to apply. For now let's hold off on the suggesting schools. It is far far too early for anyone to be able to suggest schools, as you still have 2-4 years of work experience yet to gather, and your GMAT to take.

So what can you do prepare your candidacy? First of all make sure you are involved in at least one volunteer organization, and preferable something big and famous, or something which will allows you LEADERSHIP opportunities (so tutoring the neighbor is a bit boring, but being local manager at the Red Cross or Amnesty International, or whatever is great). Secondly, and this is obvious: do well at work! Get promoted, get leadership, take opportunities for bigger projects and advancement... etc. Third: stay involved in other interests/hobbies outside of work. We see too many Indian candidates which have great work experience, but nothing else outside, so adding breadth to your profile can also help a great deal.

Finally, start preparing yourself for the GMAT. The score will be good for five years, so you could even take it next year if you are ready.

Hope this helps you get kicked off!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Second MBA: Profile Evaluation and Suggestions Needed [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2013, 05:48
Hi Admissionado,

First of all, thanks a lot for taking time out and answering to my query.

I agree to all of you points. But one of the concerns I have is around out side work activities. My work schedule is very demanding (I know everyone has a demanding schedule) and i dont sometimes get even weekends free to take time for myself. In this case, what would you suggest I can do to improve my profile and have some leadership experience?

I have one active internet startup and I am also planning to start one more very soon (in the first one I was and still am alone but in the second one I am partenering with a friend). Do you think these experiences can have some enriching story for my applications? There startups are out of pure passion and interest and B School applications are not the motive for them.

And finally, what is your take on ISB? How is the school for General Management and Strategy roles? And what is the average work experience there which one should look at while applying for a 2nd MBA?

Thanks,
Aayush

JonAdmissionado wrote:
Here there Aayush,
Good to hear from you my friend!

So first of all let me write that you can in most cases apply for a second MBA, and I have seen quite a few Indian candidates with one MBA be successful in applying for the second one. Do be aware that there are some schools which will not accept your application (Duke for example, last I checked), as they have a policy of not accepting applications from candidates whoa re already in possession of a first MBA. But most schools do.

Be aware thought that is does add an additional challenge to you application, and when you do finally apply, you should be factoring that into your consideration as you build your school strategy, and decide where to apply. For now let's hold off on the suggesting schools. It is far far too early for anyone to be able to suggest schools, as you still have 2-4 years of work experience yet to gather, and your GMAT to take.

So what can you do prepare your candidacy? First of all make sure you are involved in at least one volunteer organization, and preferable something big and famous, or something which will allows you LEADERSHIP opportunities (so tutoring the neighbor is a bit boring, but being local manager at the Red Cross or Amnesty International, or whatever is great). Secondly, and this is obvious: do well at work! Get promoted, get leadership, take opportunities for bigger projects and advancement... etc. Third: stay involved in other interests/hobbies outside of work. We see too many Indian candidates which have great work experience, but nothing else outside, so adding breadth to your profile can also help a great deal.

Finally, start preparing yourself for the GMAT. The score will be good for five years, so you could even take it next year if you are ready.

Hope this helps you get kicked off!
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 535 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Second MBA: Profile Evaluation and Suggestions Needed [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 03:43
Expert's post
Dear Aayish,
No problem sir! Happy to help out.

Regarding your concern. I do understand that you have little time for outside activities, but still you should find a way to make time for ONE at least - one that really excites you so that we know you will stick with it and advance. Other than that, the best place to get leadership experience is in your job, and that is sometimes harder to come around - but look for opportunities. Even "small leadership" like say being the Activity Organizer for your office and organizing end of year parties and trips is leadership in itself. Of course full-blown management of leads is better, but sometimes that is not an option.

As for your internet startups, they can be great, and will be so in function of their a)size b)success c) seriousness. So if you have a 300 person team working for you and your turnover is 5 million dollars a year, it will be taken very seriously. If you it's you making some extra ebay-cash on the side, it will be less :)

ISB is great. The best place in India to do an MBA. However, do consider that since you already have a first MBA from an Indian school, I don't know how valuable a second one will be (nor how kindly they will look at your first MBA.. as the main argument for getting a non-Indian MBA is that it is not indian!!!)

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!