Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 15:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Second recommendation -- current supervisor or past manager?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Second recommendation -- current supervisor or past manager? [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2008, 09:39
My first recommendation is from my project manager from my previous consulting firm, where I spent about three years. But I'm torn between my current project manager and my practice partner from the last firm for the second recommendation -- especially since I have only been at my current consulting firm for about 9 months, so we haven't even finished a full review cycle yet (although I have scored very highly in our internal project review and in initial firm-wide review sessions). I'm also hesitant about giving my firm an indication that I might be leaving, even if it's only a year from now.

Thoughts on which route I should take? I know having a current supervisor rec is important, but will less than 1 year exposure even be enough to provide a valid timeframe of reference for the adcoms?

If it makes any difference, I already am using the optional essay for my undergrad GPA, and I'm mainly applying to the European schools.

Thanks!
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Second recommendation -- current supervisor or past manager? [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2008, 10:13
I think 9 months is enough time to merit a letter from your current supervisor. That basically means that by the time the school gets around to reading your app, you will have been with your current firm for a year.

You mention you're hesitant about giving my firm an indication that I might be leaving. If you are not comfortable letting your firm know, then getting a rec from a previous partner is fine. Just be sure to explain that point in the optional essay. As I've heard a million times, adcomns understand that some people may not want to let their current firms know and are fine with a letter from your previous supervisor etc. as long as you explain that point in the optional essay.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Second recommendation -- current supervisor or past manager? [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2008, 16:19
Thanks yellowjacket! If not going with the current, is it a concern that I'll already be using the optional essay to explain circumstances around my GPA? I'm not sure if I am allowed to address multiple topics in the same essay...
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Second recommendation -- current supervisor or past manager? [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2008, 12:23
I have been with my current company for 3 years, but moved to a new manager 4 months ago

Is it ok to get a reco from my previous boss, who I worked with for more than 2 years
Besides, he is from Harvard himself, so will probably do a good job of recos etc

JK
Re: Second recommendation -- current supervisor or past manager?   [#permalink] 22 Aug 2008, 12:23