Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 19:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Second year of TFA?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Second year of TFA? [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2014, 15:55
Hi,

I'm just rounding out my first year of TFA. It's pretty clear that teaching is not the direction I want to go, and while the experience is bearable and at times rewarding, I'm not sure that I want to invest another year into going in a direction that's different from my career goals (i.e. business). However, I do understand that completing TFA could increase my chances of getting into a top grad school, so I'm currently weighing the option of going back for my second year vs. finding a job in business. Any advise?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q V

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Second year of TFA? [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2014, 15:35
Hi Noexcuses,

It's always better to honor commitments..but if you are deeply unhappy at TFA leave. If not, stay...it's only another 9 months. I know 9 months can seem like a long time when you are focused on your career direction & eventual MBA application.

TFA is known for being very selective (I hear they only take the top 10% of people who apply) ...they're also known for taking people with 'grit'. Completing your tour of duty will speak to your grit - then again, leaving, if spun the right way, won't necessarily be detrimental to you. In other words, unless you have a plausible excuse, there are no excuses, Noexcuses.

Best,
Leah Derus
fxmbaconsulting . com

Leah Derus
Senior Admissions Consultant
leah@fxmbaconsulting.com
http://fxmbaconsulting.com/

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Second year of TFA? [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2014, 16:32
Hi Leah,

Thank you for the prompt response (it says a lot about fxmbaconsulting). I am not deeply unhappy at TFA. The only reason I would have for leaving is just that it's not the direction that I want to take my career. So rather than spend another year going in a different direction (I'm already two years out of college - spent the first one managing my parents' restaurant), I could find a job that is more aligned with my career goals. That's really the only way I could think to spin it. Do you think that would be detrimental to my application? Thanks!

Posted from my mobile device Image
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: General Management
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 13

Premium Member
Re: Second year of TFA? [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2014, 05:55
I'd recommend that you stick it out for another year. If not, it will seem like you're all over the place -- one year at the restaurant, one year teaching, then one year doing something else. Many people use b-school itself as a way to pivot their career. Do you really feel like you need to pivot beforehand?

Also, what type of business position are you seeking? I understand that teaching isn't the right career for you, but are you still planning to stay in the education field? If so, finishing your TFA commitment would be more important.

FYI, I work at the intersection of business and education and will be starting b-school this fall. I didn't do TFA, but I knew that teaching wasn't the right path for me, although its an incredibly admirable pursuit.

Advice, Musings, and Experiences from a member of the HBS Class of 2016
http://DefyingGravityMBA.blogspot.com/

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q V

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Second year of TFA? [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2014, 07:13
I was imagining in my head how everything would look on your resume. I listed two possible scenarios below. I'm assuming you are 24 right now.

Scenario 1
1 year of entrepreneurship/family business (22-23)
1 year of TFA (23-24)
2 years in business role (when you apply, nearly 3 years by the time you attend) (24-27)
MBA (27-29)

Scenario 2
1 year of entrepreneurship/family business (22-23)
2 years of TFA (23-25)
2 years in business role (when you apply, nearly 3 years by the time you attend) (25-28)
MBA (28-30)

My own hunch is that from an HR or Adcom perspective anytime someone does 1 year or less of something, it is seen as interesting but unsubstantial. 1 year isn't seen as enough time to acquire expert knowledge/experience and there is always a question mark surrounding why that person left. Of course when we are talking about internships or a gap year, there is no negative. I think 1 year working in the family business equates to that post-college exploratory phase and is a positive - it says, I started going down a path but had enough self-awareness to realize, it wasn't for me. I shifted gears into something more challenging/fulfilling (fill in the blank).

Ultimately there is no perfect answer to your question, and it is really your call.
But, when we look at the two profiles I think most people would feel that the second one belongs to someone who is a little more consistent, someone who will be able to write his essays and confidently reference experiences at TFA as well as in the working world because he has enough experience in both to legitimately do so. By the time you start interviewing for internships and later, jobs you would have 2.5-3 years in your first role post-TFA. Hopefully you will have at least one promotion under your belt in that time. I think the combination of 2 TFA years plus 3 years in business is going to really work for you.

Best,
Leah Derus
fxmabaconsulting . com

Leah Derus
Senior Admissions Consultant
leah@fxmbaconsulting.com
http://fxmbaconsulting.com/

Re: Second year of TFA?   [#permalink] 17 Jul 2014, 07:13