Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 10:50

Going on right now!

Interview Invites from Chicago - Booth | Join the chat room for Live Updates.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Secondment at work - To pursue or not to pursue

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GMAT 3: 730 Q49 V41
WE: Engineering (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Premium Member CAT Tests
Secondment at work - To pursue or not to pursue [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2014, 05:01
Hello All,

I'm presently based in Australia and work with an global engineering company. Recently, I've been offered the opportunity to pursue a secondment with our London office for a period of time.

Living and working in London is something I've always wanted to do and pushed for this in 2013 within my company. However, owing to uncertain market conditions, nothing came of it back then. A few weeks back, I was contacted asking whether I would still be interested.

The thing is that I will be applying for full time MBA this fall - I'm looking to pursue my MBA in the US.

So, I was wanting to get some advice on whether I should take up the offer knowing that I will be leaving in 2015.

It takes time to build relationships within your workplace and there's little chance that I can approach my future manager in London for a letter of recommendation 2-3 months after I've started working there.

Also, when I start preparing applications, I will not have much to talk about my project experience in London, although I may be able to leverage some pros about making the move.

Primarily, It's just the prospect of living and working in London for about a year appeals to me :)

Would it be better for me to stick it out until I finish up to start my MBA or make the (potential) move to London?

Hoping to get some thoughts on this from the forum members.

Thanks in advance for your help and input.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 0

Re: Secondment at work - To pursue or not to pursue [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2014, 18:39
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
You only live once -- if this is a personal goal... why wouldn't you pursue it? Secondly, can you not begin to source LOR's from people you are working with now?

Good luck in your decision making process!

-Brian

Brian Lange | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | North Carolina

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Intern
Intern

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Secondment at work - To pursue or not to pursue [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2014, 23:12
brianlange77 wrote:
You only live once -- if this is a personal goal... why wouldn't you pursue it? Secondly, can you not begin to source LOR's from people you are working with now?
-Brian

Thanks for the response Brian.

I will be able to source my LOR's from my superiors in Sydney but isn't it true that Adcom's prefer your current work supervisor as one of the recommenders?

Also, guess I'm generally concerned on how Adcom's will view this shorter term switch as it's primarily a personal decision. Will this have a negative impact on my applications?

cheers
Intern
Intern

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Secondment at work - To pursue or not to pursue [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2014, 01:43
*bump*

@brianlange77

What's your take Brian?

Any else got any feedback?

Expecting to hear particulars and be provided a formal offer by end of the week. Fingers crossed....

cheers
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: Secondment at work - To pursue or not to pursue [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2014, 17:17
Expert's post
ZoSoKM wrote:
brianlange77 wrote:
-Brian

Thanks for the response Brian.

I will be able to source my LOR's from my superiors in Sydney but isn't it true that Adcom's prefer your current work supervisor as one of the recommenders?

Also, guess I'm generally concerned on how Adcom's will view this shorter term switch as it's primarily a personal decision. Will this have a negative impact on my applications?

cheers

I think it's a preference, but I don't think that it is a show-stopper unto itself. Regarding the secondment -- people make personal decisions all the time. People make business decisions all the time. Sometimes people make decisions that involve both. Not to sound too 'cheesy', but it's all about how you explain, rationalize, and describe how you have learned from the decision-making process you went through.

Brian Lange | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | North Carolina

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Re: Secondment at work - To pursue or not to pursue   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2014, 17:17