Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 01:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Secret of my admission success; an IMD/INSEAD admit recounts

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Secret of my admission success; an IMD/INSEAD admit recounts [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2012, 01:02
After getting a good score at GMAT (740) and other aspects of my applications sorted - GPA 3.6/4.0 and a good portfolio of extra-curricular/charitable activities - I thought that the admission to top schools was in the bag. I soon realized that the biggest hurdle, however, was the application essays.

Not taking any chances, I decided to get help of an admissions consultant. After an extensive research I decided to go with http://ivymbaconsulting.com/– a boutique consulting that impressed primarily because they were different from all others; they were:
1) exclusive - each consultant works only with a couple of candidates at a time
2) transparent - They had the admission statistics posted on their site (http://ivymbaconsulting.com/success-stories/our-success-rate)

When the brainstorming sessions started, I realized how important it is to have somebody who knows the process, and has been through a top-school him/herself, to listen you out, and select the ‘most-likely-to-hit-the-mark’ stories of your life. My biggest surprise came, when one of their consultants reviewed my first attempt at the INSEAD essays; I thought I had written a great first set of essays, but Marina, the admission consultant, told me that it is not the way b-school essays are written. With limited word limit, the essays are not an exercise in creative writing but are a confined space for showcasing the ‘right story’ in the most succinct style. She provided feedback and reviews till the essays were perfected - sometimes taking up to five iterations - after which they were submitted to the Ivy Board - panel of experts who review the whole application to judge if it brings out a coherent and a compelling story for the admission committee. Then we incorporated their feedback as well; one of my essays was totally scratched, because they believed it could hurt my case!

The result after much iteration was a set of well-written, precisely worded and interesting to read essays, which really portrayed ‘my’ story. I am still proud of my essays and they gave me confidence for interviews and assessment day which ensued. I then had great help on how to interview. Itai, the interview consultant, a top-b-school grad and a director at a Telecom company, really explained how an interviewer thinks. The sessions with him really changed the way I approach my interviews - all types of interviews.

Eli, of the ivy team, advised me during the whole process, gave me confidence even when I thought I would miss deadlines and was always a phone call away for my silly doubts and queries. He is now advising me on how to approach scholarships at IMD (my chosen b-school.)

All in all, I feel like I didn’t have a consultant but a whole team behind me to help me get to my schools of choice. The amount of time and support that I received from http://ivymbaconsulting.com/ has just been phenomenal, and one of the best investments I ever made.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Secret of my admission success; an IMD/INSEAD admit recounts   [#permalink] 12 Aug 2012, 01:02