Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 00:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Section 13(d) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 17

Section 13(d) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 [#permalink] New post 09 May 2012, 03:17
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

85% (01:12) correct 15% (00:33) wrong based on 22 sessions
Section 13(d) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 requires anyone who buys more than 5 percent of a company's stock make a public disclosure of the purchase.

A. make
B. will also make
C. to make
D. must make
E. must then make

What do you think? Shall we use the rule of Expressions that are followed by a Verb Word (the infinite w/o the TO) here? (ask, demand, require, desire and etc.)
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 265

Kudos [?]: 1640 [2] , given: 249

Re: section 13 d 3 of the securities exchange act of 1934 [#permalink] New post 09 May 2012, 05:10
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
There are two ways of writing this one. The first is the use of the command subjunctive form. In the command subjunctive, you have to have a mandatory element (such as requires here) and a connector ‘that’ and finally a basic or command form of the verb (make here)

The construction of such a sentence here will be
Section 13(d) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 requires (mandatory element) that (the connector word) anyone who buys more than 5 percent of a company's stock make (the command verb) a public disclosure of the purchase

The other way of writing this is straight and simple. In the second case, you have to use an infinitive verbal and be done with.

For example, when the above sentence is re- written with the infinitive --- Section 13(d) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 requires anyone who buys more than 5 percent of a company's stock ‘to make’ (the use of infinitive verbal) public disclosure of the purchase. But don’t skip the ‘to’ for any reason at least the first time

In the given example, Chocie C is correct.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V23
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 15

Re: section 13 d 3 of the securities exchange act of 1934 [#permalink] New post 10 May 2012, 06:24
malkov wrote:
Section 13(d) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 requires anyone who buys more than 5 percent of a company's stock make a public disclosure of the purchase.

A. make
B. will also make
C. to make
D. must make
E. must then make

What do you think? Shall we use the rule of Expressions that are followed by a Verb Word (the infinite w/o the TO) here? (ask, demand, require, desire and etc.)

+1 for C.
Read it like this:--> "Section 13(d)..............requires anyone ........to make a ....".
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 17

Re: section 13 d 3 of the securities exchange act of 1934 [#permalink] New post 10 May 2012, 08:17
Thank you, daagh, it's clear. The OA is C.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 266

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Section 13(d) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2014, 02:19
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Section 13(d) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934   [#permalink] 10 Jul 2014, 02:19