Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:47 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5010 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
Re: securing a position on a board [#permalink]
jallenmorris wrote:
Are you asking in order to add it to your resume or to help the non-profit be successful by contributing your talents and expertise?

bmwhype2 wrote:
anyone sit on the board at a nonprofit or foundation? can u explain the process u went thru and the dedication/hours/input?

both
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
That's so funny that this was brought up. I was just offered the opportunity to sit on a board of a non-profit, but I wasn't told what kind of committment was necessary. Judging by how the people who have the job now, it doesnt seem like more than a few hours 2 times a month at most.

My question is...and yes, this will seem douche-bagy, but how will sitting on a board help my resume? I don't have too much EC/volunteer work...but I'm also studying for the GMATs....I'm wondering if the position is worth taking.
VP
VP
Send PM
sonibubu wrote:
I've been volunteering at an adult literacy center for a year now and work about 6 hrs a week there with adult learners. I asked the director what it takes to join the board, and pretty much the work is not that hard but you need to be able to bring something of value (money, contacts, sales skills, expertise).
Also, you must first be invited and then go through a training program. Finally, you must serve on the Advisory committee to the board for at least a year.
I was invited to join the advisory committee and accepted. I'm sure boards of smaller non-profits aren't as difficult to join.

what did you bring to the table? The only thing i really can bring to the table is my education (MS in Accounting, BS in Finance, CFA/CAIA partials..etc)
VP
VP
Send PM
VictoryMBA wrote:
That's so funny that this was brought up. I was just offered the opportunity to sit on a board of a non-profit, but I wasn't told what kind of committment was necessary. Judging by how the people who have the job now, it doesnt seem like more than a few hours 2 times a month at most.

My question is...and yes, this will seem douche-bagy, but how will sitting on a board help my resume? I don't have too much EC/volunteer work...but I'm also studying for the GMATs....I'm wondering if the position is worth taking.

to be very honest, i'd like to REALLY apply my expertise (i.e educational background) to produce something meaningful and see what comes of it, rather than slap it on my resume.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
I think your accounting background would be very beneficial to the non-profit. Also, you are an accountant. Don't say "the only thing I bring to the table...." Every job board I look on seems to have tons of posts looking for accountants. You have very valuable skills. Don't discount yourself just because you're familiar with the area of accounting.

bmwhype2 wrote:
VictoryMBA wrote:

to be very honest, i'd like to REALLY apply my expertise (i.e educational background) to produce something meaningful and see what comes of it, rather than slap it on my resume.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
check out boardnetusa.com for local nonprofits looking for volunteers and people to sit on boards - i think that the descriptions tell exactly what they are looking for in terms of skills, time, etc.

other resources are the taproot foundation (for voluteer consulting projects, not as much board work) and idealist.org
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
bmwhype2 wrote:
sonibubu wrote:
I've been volunteering at an adult literacy center for a year now and work about 6 hrs a week there with adult learners. I asked the director what it takes to join the board, and pretty much the work is not that hard but you need to be able to bring something of value (money, contacts, sales skills, expertise).
Also, you must first be invited and then go through a training program. Finally, you must serve on the Advisory committee to the board for at least a year.
I was invited to join the advisory committee and accepted. I'm sure boards of smaller non-profits aren't as difficult to join.

what did you bring to the table? The only thing i really can bring to the table is my education (MS in Accounting, BS in Finance, CFA/CAIA partials..etc)

I won't be around long enough to join the board, but I would bring money from my company. I got in touch with one of our VPs and we're currently developing a way to get more employees to volunteer there and ultimately more money into the non-profit from my company.
Also, I have shown to be very dedicated to the organization, so that always helps.
GMAT Club Bot