Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 17:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Seeking a profile evaluation - high GMAT/low GPA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 2.77
WE: General Management (Journalism and Publishing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 5

Seeking a profile evaluation - high GMAT/low GPA [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2013, 19:36
Good evening, all; thanks for taking a look.

1) Full-time work experience.

I'm the editor of a newspaper for a Native American tribe in the western U.S. Have been here about 4 years. I manage a team of four and do most of the writing and all of the editing, plus administrative stuff, for a biweekly newspaper. We also handle a number of special projects throughout the year, including much PR work for the tribe. Before this, I spent a year as a reporter covering city government and health for a daily paper. I'm a white guy.

2) GMAT.

750 (Q49/V44)

3) College info.

Did two years at BYU studying English, then transferred home to the University of North Florida. Graduated 2007 with a BS in communication. Cumulative GPA: 2.77. No real extenuating circumstances besides immaturity in freshman/sophomore years. I can make a case for an upward trend (3.12 last 60 hours, 3.44 senior year).

4) Extra-curricular activities.

Was managing editor of the student newspaper in college, running a team of about 18 to produce a weekly paper. Also completed three semester-long internships senior year. Since college, have been board member and secretary of the local chamber of commerce, volunteer webmaster and marketing guy for a nonprofit motorcycle rally, Cub Scouts leader, and finance clerk in my local church.

5) Certifications.

None, although I have won more than 60 individual and team awards in national and regional journalism contests in my current role.

6) Target programs.

Plan to apply to quite a few (six through Consortium plus four others). Looking for programs with a) an energy focus and/or b) a dual degree program in public policy. Here's the list in order of current preference:
Texas-McCombs
Rice-Jones
UNC-Kenan-Flagler
Michigan-Ross
Cornell-Johnson
Virginia-Darden
Georgetown-McDonough
Oklahoma-Price
BYU-Marriott
Florida-Warrington

7) When you plan to apply? Please specify round and application cycle, for example R1 2013-14 or R3 2012-13.

R1 this fall for next year.

8) Your post-MBA goal.

The tribe I work for has become massively successful in energy development. I'm interested in working with other tribes in the U.S. and Canada in a similar vein: help them take an inventory of natural resources and develop and implement plans for cultivating those resources. This could be as a consultant or as an in-house corporate strategy-type guy.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 317 [1] , given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Seeking a profile evaluation - high GMAT/low GPA [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2013, 16:30
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
astryker wrote:
Good evening, all; thanks for taking a look.

1) Full-time work experience.

I'm the editor of a newspaper for a Native American tribe in the western U.S. Have been here about 4 years. I manage a team of four and do most of the writing and all of the editing, plus administrative stuff, for a biweekly newspaper. We also handle a number of special projects throughout the year, including much PR work for the tribe. Before this, I spent a year as a reporter covering city government and health for a daily paper. I'm a white guy.

2) GMAT.

750 (Q49/V44)

3) College info.

Did two years at BYU studying English, then transferred home to the University of North Florida. Graduated 2007 with a BS in communication. Cumulative GPA: 2.77. No real extenuating circumstances besides immaturity in freshman/sophomore years. I can make a case for an upward trend (3.12 last 60 hours, 3.44 senior year).

4) Extra-curricular activities.

Was managing editor of the student newspaper in college, running a team of about 18 to produce a weekly paper. Also completed three semester-long internships senior year. Since college, have been board member and secretary of the local chamber of commerce, volunteer webmaster and marketing guy for a nonprofit motorcycle rally, Cub Scouts leader, and finance clerk in my local church.

5) Certifications.

None, although I have won more than 60 individual and team awards in national and regional journalism contests in my current role.

6) Target programs.

Plan to apply to quite a few (six through Consortium plus four others). Looking for programs with a) an energy focus and/or b) a dual degree program in public policy. Here's the list in order of current preference:
Texas-McCombs
Rice-Jones
UNC-Kenan-Flagler
Michigan-Ross
Cornell-Johnson
Virginia-Darden
Georgetown-McDonough
Oklahoma-Price
BYU-Marriott
Florida-Warrington

7) When you plan to apply? Please specify round and application cycle, for example R1 2013-14 or R3 2012-13.

R1 this fall for next year.

8) Your post-MBA goal.

astryker,

The tribe I work for has become massively successful in energy development. I'm interested in working with other tribes in the U.S. and Canada in a similar vein: help them take an inventory of natural resources and develop and implement plans for cultivating those resources. This could be as a consultant or as an in-house corporate strategy-type guy.

I think you will have several acceptances. To enhance your chances at some of the more competitive programs on your list, take a class or two that is quantitative and business related, like stats for business or accounting or econ and get an A in it. It will further mitigate that slow start in college.

If you would like help with your app for the Consortium or other programs, please PM me.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog