Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 01:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Seeking advice...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Seeking advice... [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2005, 08:00
Hi,

I'm seeking advice on applying to business school in Europe. Some basic stats: I'm a US citizen, and graduated with a B.S. in Management & Technology from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. My GPA was solid (3.54 total, 4.0 my last 3 semesters). I also have solid work experience (3 years of consulting for Big 5, followed by 3 years of IT mgmt + Biz Dev for a leading Software company in Silicon Valley). Finally, I did very well on the the GMAT (770).

My main reason for applying to b-school is to broaden my perspective on organizational leadership, and develop a thorough point of view on how to lead a successful business. Ultimately, I seek to lead an organization that contributes to significant and positive change in the world.

I was strongly considering Stanford GSB and HBS, until someone suggested that I consider looking into MBA programs at top schools outside of the US. My question is this: without any true international experience, and without fluently speaking another language, how difficult will it be to gain acceptance into a school like IMD (in Switzerland)?

Also, since 2006 admission deadlines have passed for many of the European programs, I've been thinking about teaching business English in Europe (East or West) to gain International experience. I figure that not only will it be a good chance to get a lesson in international culture and language, but that it will also open doors to potential business contacts for both near-term and long-term opportunity. Question is, will this strengthen or weaken my apps to b-school (both domestic and international)?

Any thoughts and/or advice you can provide is greatly appreciated.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 50

[#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2005, 18:54
Expert's post
I don't think you need international experience, but I do think that most of those schools will expect you to be fluent in (or at least comfortable with) another language. So, that's probably an obstacle. Teaching abroad may help, but you'd probably need to learn another language, too.

If you plan on working in the U.S. after school, though, I recommend staying in the U.S. for b-school. It's just a lot easier to get a job that way.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews