Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:37 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V34
GPA: 3.52
WE:Engineering (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Seeking advice. GMAT 540 yet seeking 700+ [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi ogabry,

I'll first comment on your article and then answer your questions.

- Deactivated FB/put tv out????!!!?? May be you should reduce your time on these, but I'm not sure whether you should eliminate them. You need to have a method to rejuvenate yourself. I used to have a drink with my friends once a week, and sure had my fb/tv active.

- Your studying hours - daily/weekends, seem fine. But do you do anything at work/when you travel? Here's what I did. I downloaded the GMATclub toolkit, which is very useful, and did it whenever I got time. One of the more important things is the fact that I'd write up a list to memorize every day morning. Just half an A4 sheet. I'll make sure I memorize them by end of day. Imagine what 2 months of daily A4 half sheets would look like.

- Why'd you take 3-4 weeks on a guide? By the time you finish the last guide, you'd have forgotten the first few ones. It should be 3 days a guide. Have the discipline to do that. Plan every hour you study.

- Don't ignore Quant or Verbal all together. You sure can focus on one at a time, but make sure you keep doing questions on the less priority portion so that you don't lose form on it. You don't want to improve Quant at the cost of Verbal do you? Just 30 questions a day is fine. I used to do GMATclub tests, 1 a day so that I may stay in form. There're 20 exams, and they're fully worth it. Just keep in mind that they might be a bit tougher than the actual GMAT.

- 44+ for Quant is not the usual 700+ scorer's Quant score. You should target 48+. (Unless you could score 42+ on Verbal, which is very tough).

- As you said, GMATprep exams are the closest you could get to the actual GMAT, but MGMAT is the next best. Their Quant may be a bit tougher, but their scoring method is fine. Their Verbal is close to the actual as well.

- Did I read 'skipped IR'???? No no no NO NO...!!!!! You should practice with IR. Here's what I did. I used to write an entire exam with AWA, IR, Q and V every weekend when I had the time. This very VERY IMPORTANT. GMAT is all about building your stamina, and if you don't practice it beforehand, you won't have it on exam day.

- You have timing problems. I see that your emotions might be getting in your way. The way GMAT scoring works, remember that 'Half the questions perfectly done, with no time for the rest' would mean a lower score than 'All questions done, but half of them wrong'. Even when I got the 710, I used a few freebies - randomly selected answers after intelligently eliminating a few choices - by taking 20-30 seconds to answer the freebies. I did this so that I could get back on track in timing.

Now comes the answer to your questions:

I guess you may be having emotional problems with the GMAT, get emotions out of the way and focus more on timing and keeping yourself in form. Its not whether you know the 'stuff', its that you should 'show that you know the stuff in time'. The way I see GMAT is like any game - say a game of football. You should peak at the game day - the test day. Until then, you should practice and keep yourself in form.

First I mastered each component of the GMAT, SC/RC/CR/PS/DS. But after that, I did practice exams over and over again. I did an average of 4 practice exams a week. 1 full exam in the weekend, and 2 Quant and 2 Verbal during the week. If you're weak in Verbal you can make it 3 Verbal and 1 Quant. But make no mistake, you should master the exam format, only after you master every component.

1-Master each component whatever the time.
2-Master each component with strict time limits.
3-Master the exam format whatever the time.
4-Master the exam format with strict time discipline.

As you said, at every step of the process, maintain the error log. Do the questions you went wrong at least thrice. At one point, you might have finished all your exams. But reset them and do them again.

Hope above helps. Keep me posted on your progress.
Good luck - God speed.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
ogabry wrote:
Thank you for offering to help but I really don't think I afford the time to read the Manhattan books for the basics. I could skim through the MGMAT Critical reasoning guide but I won't spend more than a day or two doing that. I will focus mainly on solving as many questions as possible and learn along the way. If I have any mistakes, then I will log them and review later to get the underlying rules/methods being tested.

I will try to start solving exams again at the start of August and limit myself to keep myself within the time limits.

singhaldheeraj wrote:

its best for you if you start from the basics again read the manhattan book for basics these are good books and then do starts again, the most important thing in gmat is time management so use the excel which i have posted on time management while practice it will help you. follow OG books again and give kudos if you like

so the best way for you to get the desired results is sign up for a good online gmat prep course such as master gmat/manhattan/kaplan etc

i have taken master gmat good for building your basics but it just provide 3 mock test but its learning tech is very good

give kudos to the people whom you thinks help you
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37297 posts