Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 12:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Seeking help, really lost to improve my GMAT score.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Seeking help, really lost to improve my GMAT score. [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 00:10
I have taken GMAT two times and score 640 (M51, V25) & 650 (M51, V26), AWA: 5.5 and I am a non-native english speaker.

I encountered the similar problems for both tests as below:

1. Time is seriously not enough for real test although I could finish during simulation practices before (without rushing): Only 11 mins left for my last 10 questions. I did use stopwatch for my usual practice and my pace seems quite ok.

2. RC part is my worst of worst, generally I will spend around 2-3 mins reading the passage and I can understand briefly the meaning of the passage but feel like very confused with those questions. Most of my time are actually wasted in RC part during real test.

3. I feel that SC part is quite different from the past practices I have done as well, which normally can take split & resplit strategy easily, and normally I can eliminate a few choices using idioms such as not only..........but also..........., either........or........., but most of the real test SC questions don't come in this style.

4. CR is ok for me except the passage is longer than those of practices.

The key problem for me seems to be the timing problem once much more time is spent in RC, therefore little time will be left for CR and SC, and I have to rush or even skip CR & SC part.

My aim is 700+ so that I could apply top schools, I have studied Manhattan GMAT SC and improved a lot from this book, however I feel I am still not prepared for the real test. once there are no obvious grammar errors or no obvious patterns for splitting & re-splitting.

I have just ordered Manhanttan GMAT RC part and hopefully I could improve based on this book. Previously I mainly depend on OG Official guide 12 and Verbal review, another reason of my failure may because those questions are a bit easier compared with real test.

However I am still quite lost with my future preparation and any advices are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Johnny
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 391 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: Seeking help, really lost to improve my GMAT score. [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 00:21
to improve RC my recommendation is start reading the editorials from a standard daily English news-paper. Try to improve your reading speed as well as try to understand the paragraph construction. You don't need to remember any of those difficult words used in the editorials, but make sure you do understand the frequently used words.

But remember, the above process is surely goin to take long time. You may see difference in 2 months or so. I'm not sure if you have that much time to wait.

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 391 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: Seeking help, really lost to improve my GMAT score. [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 00:28
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Seeking help, really lost to improve my GMAT score. [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 01:47
Thank you very much bigoyal.

I do understand it's not that easy to improve RC part. Two months will be fine if I have no other choices as I have to be fully ready this time.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 26

Re: Seeking help, really lost to improve my GMAT score. [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 13:28
Maybe this can give you some good idea as well. http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-study-plan-go-from-650-to-80235.htmlGMAT Study Plan: go from 650 to 700+
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Seeking help, really lost to improve my GMAT score. [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 19:27
Me too in the same boat..Have already taken gmat 3 times.
I score high during my practice tests.Some of practice test scores are 740,720 and so on..

But on the exam day my score dips by 100 or so points.
and the big dip is in my verbal part from 38-40 in practice test score to 27-28 in the actual exam..
I am not able to know where exactly i am going wrong..
Please help me with your valuable suggestions

Thanks
FedX
Re: Seeking help, really lost to improve my GMAT score.   [#permalink] 18 Dec 2009, 19:27