Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 09:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Seeking Motivation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Seeking Motivation [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2006, 05:42
im beginning my third attempt for GMAT and plan to take it in September. Its been really frustrating for me the last few months since i graduated and the only thing holding back my application is this test. Im thinking about a private tutor such as Integrated Learning because they are affordable and having read their website sound just right for me as apposed to Kaplan which is horrible. Testprepny is super expensive and the lady their keeps sinking my confidence saying i have a learning dissability. i told her numerous times i went through that already with a psychologist and all and i was proclaimed fine and normal. Automatically when someone doesn't do well on a standardized test a red flag goes off saying you have a learning disabillity which is not fair. The schools im looking for target a score of 400 or better and am prepared to work my ass off with the tutor and with myself. SO CAN SOMEONE HEAR ME OUT AND SOOTHE ME CUZ IM TIRED OF SOMEONE SAYING I HAVE A LEARNING DISABILITY WHICH MAKES ME FEEL UPSET.

P.S. Grades are all above B+ and i have combined 3 yeears work experience in Europe and NY. Have participated in honors Finance classes since Finance is my major. I have recommendations from excellent people within the university.

THANKS...............U GUYS ARE GREAT HERE.........
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2006, 08:21
If I were you, I would stop looking at the prep companies and get yourself together without help of professionals... Nobody knows yourself the way you do... these people don't know much about your past, what you achieved and who you are... why pay them??? to low your shaking confidence by their brainwashing theories of learning disabilities? I really don't know you, but I have seen your posts about the companies and which ones are better... I think you focus too much on the wrong thing...

Just get your nerves together, look at the long-term goal and remind yourself everyday when you get up that GMAT is a short-term obstacle you must overcome... I have gone through that part, but unlike you I didn't go to professionals, I looked at my past and saw what I achieved and thought about why it is taking me so long to conquer this GMAT mountain... the answer is/was... GMAT doesn't have any structure and nobody enforces you except yourself, which is really hard to do... When I was in college, everything was laid out and ready for me... all I had to do is study by plan, take tests, write papers and do projects... everything had guidelines... with GMAT... you must be your own teacher and refrain yourself from slacking off any way you can.

If you force yourself every day to get up and practice, think constantly about improvement, be positive and follow your plan rigorously every single day, then you will be fine... practice timing, learn the rules, etc... People here on this forum don't know your style of studying, they give you advice and a roadmap, but you are in charge to enforce such plan...

So, don't waste your money when it blows your confidence... turn to your friends and family for emotional support and in the end "talk" to yourself and convince yourself that you can and must do this in order to get what you want... life is tough and this obstacle may be a challenge, but don't drain yourself and let people draw wrong conclusions... focus on hard work and not googling the latest prep companies and their strategies

PS... please don't get offended if this sounds too harsh... I am really trying to help :!:
Intern
Intern

Finding oneself [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2006, 09:01
Very timely post. I am exactly in the same situation, had everything ready and re-took my gmat a week ago. Since first time (may this year) i got 28 in quant, i focused on it and devoted lots of time to it. On my 2nd attempt i improved it by 7 points BUT my verbal went done from 31 to just 23, unbelievable low score in total of 490.

So now, after lots of prep and no private life for about two months i have to find strength to prepare the 3rd time. hard, last time i knew what to study now it's harder as in verbal i had around 30!!!!!!!!!! SC.

It's especially depressing as i have 5 years of great industry exprience, honors undergraduate, medals etc from school. not only do i have to find ways to cope with seeing my true ability level, but also find somehow the motivation just to go on and do this. I believe it's the hardest challenge i had so far in 26 years.

Any inspiration is appreciated.
Manager
Manager

HEY [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2006, 06:57
Some people self study does not work which makes one frustrated and private tutoring would be the best bet if one dedicates themselves to do extra work outside of the class. I think if you get a tutor the will give you direction and the only thing you have to do is walk the math meaning to study hard.
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

Re: HEY [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2006, 07:04
Positive thinker wrote:
Some people self study does not work which makes one frustrated and private tutoring would be the best bet if one dedicates themselves to do extra work outside of the class. I think if you get a tutor the will give you direction and the only thing you have to do is walk the math meaning to study hard.

may be... but to walk the math or even verbal doesn't mean you have to spend a thousand bucks on a private tutor... try GMAX Online course, it really has a great structure... I finished all of their lectures and currently studying on my own... All I am saying is no matter who your tutor is it is YOUR hard work that will eventually pay off!!! And if you are seeking motivation read many successful stories on this forum! :wink:
Manager
Manager

GOOD POINT [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2006, 10:16
Very true and I agree with U2lover. I understand that a tutor is not a savior it all is up to the individual to put in extra time outside the sessions to do well. It shows initiative and perserverance and once you have that anything can be achieved. The math is simply to improve from what I understand its all High School math right?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2006, 07:47
How some one can overcome learning disbaility? I think i have it. It is affecting my GMAT PREP.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2006, 08:20
What is "learninig disabilty"?
I think it is just an excuse. Never believe so-called "smart" tutors. it is their job to convince you that you are "stupid" and that without their help you will never make it.
Just believe in yourself. I know it is easy to say, but you can believe me. cause i'm the one who was consistently scoring 350-400 on PowerPrep.

if you need >400, imo, the knowledge of basics is enough. begin from easiest school book on Math and Grammar. Read them before going to sleep. don't hurry, combine learning with relaxation, don't urge yourself.

best of LUCK.
Manager
Manager

UNDERDOG STORY [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2006, 09:30
Excellent point about learning disabillties....Tutros always try to convince you that you are dumb, or inept to go forward. I myself went through this ordeal in elementary school. My first language was not English so when I was in elementary school I did not know how to speek english all that well so the teachers being stupid said I had a learning disabillity and placed me in special ed. I had to go through a school psychologist who was convinced i was normal and did not have a learning disability. I went through lots of testing and lots of stuff when i was little and luckily for me this psycholgist saw that I was just a normal kid who was very energetic. So when I have graduated from college nearly with honors and participated in honors investment banking classes and have 3 years work experience and didn't do well because i haven't prepared well enough for GMAT and have bombed it twice people automatically assume ur "learning disabled". As a sense of professionalism I won't mention the Turoing company i called here in NYC that asked if i had a learning disabillity. I think its unprofessional to judge someone over the phone like that when you just spoke with them. Moral of the story is, its my fault i didn't effectively prepare for the GMAT and its true standardized tests aren't everyones strong suit but it can be overcome. Even anxiety and stress of taking standardized tests can be overcome and comes with excessive repetition of the material and the willingness to put forth the effort. My suggestion is find a private tutor a good one like the ones mentioned under TEST PREP REVIEWS, who will effectively prepare you instead of sinking yourself in self-study which makes you swim in circles. The tutor will provide guidance for you but it is up to you to do the hard work and effectively prepare for the exam. So don't listen to what a tutor might say that you are learning diabled, its a ploy to convince you you are dumb and to take their class. Whenever someone judges you like that its unprofessional and utterly stupid. Especially in my case because i went through that years ago and was proclaimed normal so there you have it in a nutshell to all those who have been told that.
UNDERDOG STORY   [#permalink] 13 Jul 2006, 09:30