Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 09:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Seeking your advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Seeking your advice [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 04:02
Hi,

A glimpse at my profile:

Nationality : Indian
Work Experience :
Years(as of now):- 4 years 5 months
I am working with one of the Big 4 professional services Firm as a Senior Consultant.
I work specifically on Enterprise Resource Planning review & implementation projects as a Functional Consultant.
Worked as Lead consultant in 4 different projects across different functions ( Supply Chain, Financials, Manufacturing)
Worked for industrial Machinery, Govt. of India, Glass manufacturing, Consumer Goods clients.
I have worked only for Indian clients and worked at 15 client locations. Therefore I have been exposed to real time functioning of both manufacturing and Services Firms.( I find it very dynamic and interesting)
Mentored 5 Junior consultants.
Active in Company recruitment drives.
Also involved in Business Development activities. ( Preparing Proposals, responding to Client queries and giving presentations to C-Level executives)

GMAT : 720 ( VA 37, QA 50). AWA : 5.5

Academics:
Engineer from a Top 15 engineering College, GPA: 7.7/10
Had my High school education in 9 different cities spread across 5 different states.

Certifications:
Certified Supply Chain Professional (CSCP) (91%)

Extracurricular:
Very Strong at College level: leadership positions, Community service.
Vice Chairman of Most active club at College.(IEEE)
Secretary, Community Lunch drive, catered to more than 3500 people.
Coordinator- Biggest Technical symposium at college
Member, College Lawn tennis team

Post Graduation:
Batch owner, Class of 27 children at an NGO. Responsible for their education, personality growth and health issues. Duration: 2 years.
Editor, Official Newsletter of the NGO
Secretary and Co-founder of two Toastmasters club in Delhi. (responsible for evaluating speeches and encouraging fellow members to enhance their skills. Simultaneously developing my own public speaking skills: Have been awarded Best Speaker and Best Evaluator for more than 9 occasions)

Personal Info:

I am an avid reader: world politics, History, Biographies.
I have done really long road trips : Driven across the highest motor-able road in the world( Ladakh, India)

Career Goals: Worked in Technology Consulting and I feel it is time to face business issues directly.. hence Management Consultancy in Emerging Markets. Focus towards Consumer goods industry( bias towards Rural India and industries potential to serve the burgeoning consumer base). I have worked on a year long project for a leading Consumer goods company in India.

Applied in Round 1: Wharton (ding), Kellogg ( interviewed and awaiting result), Tuck( no notification yet so almost a ding), Ross ( awaiting response..some incomplete document issues :( .... ), Darden(interviewed.. awaiting result)
For the first round: I have used your Essay analysis for all the schools and I must say.. the way you guys create a picture is almost incomparable and very practical. It has helped me a lot in shaping my own stories.

My stories were focused on my background( rural) and my overall growth and development based on the values I had imbibed from it. I had also put some personal struggle stories for Ross and Tuck. But somehow I feel.. I have not been able to impress all adcoms.

Advice required: For Round two, I have one question... Is there anything else I can improve upon.. ( Will a better GMAT make a difference.. if I can get something around 750... this might make me sound like a number obsessed Indian applicant but I cant think of anything else!)

Target schools: Fuqua, Haas, Booth.

Really appreciate a response.

Regards
Sniper
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Seeking your advice [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 08:23
Expert's post
Hey Sniper!
First of all, thanks kindly for the nice words of thanks. We really do appreciate it!
and secondly, best of luck to you with your schools. we've got our fingers crossed for ya.
As for what to improve, it's really hard to say without seeing your essays. Maybe, from what you have told me, I would say: take a risk!
What I mean is maybe you went with kind of standard "how I did good in life" essays which are good, but which aren't making you stand out. (maybe). And maybe you can take a look at your essays and think about whether they are really presenting YOU - your passions, your self, your uniqueness.
The 750 at this point is not what's gonna help you I don't feel (although I guess it can't hurt! :) )

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Seeking your advice [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 08:54
Hey Jon/Raj,

Thank you for the prompt reply and the luck bestowed upon me :) .. I really need it.

As far as the essays are concerned, I have utilized your Free consultation and submitted one of my essays for review. I hope you guys get the time to gauge my work.
On the other hand, I do not understand what exactly you mean by 'risk'. If it is about showing your not so perfect side (failures, struggles)... then I have done it...both in the essays and the interview.

Btw, the originality of Precision Essay is quite evident through your official blog and i hope it rubbed on to my own essays :P .

Regards
Sniper