Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

seeming Vs Seemingly

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
seeming Vs Seemingly [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2004, 20:28
Hi everybody!

It appears illogical to some people that West Germany, which bans such seeming lesser evils as lawn-mowing on Sundays, still has some 4,000 miles of highway with no speed limit.
(A) which bans such seeming lesser evils as
(B) which bans such seemingly lesser evils as
(C) which is banning such seeming lesser evils like
(D) banning such evils that seem lesser, for example
(E) banning such seeming lesser evils like

My question is here about KNOWING the difference between "seeming" & "seemingly"
If you guys want you can refer to OG SC #195, which has something to do with the same concept

I know that one is adj and the other adverb.

But I am confused with the usage so kindly shed some light on it.

ANS is not what is expected. I know 99% of the members will figure the answer but kindly help ME/OTHERS in understanding the difference.

Thanks
Saurabh Malpani
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2004, 20:53
i believe B is OA because as is preffered over like while comparing the actions. like is used in comparing the nouns. seemingly, not seeming, is correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2004, 21:41
MA may I know why seeming is wrong or seemingly is correct or IF vice a versa?
I wrote above that ANS is not Important, I want to understand the concept.

So kindly Explain you line of reasoning.

Saurabh Malpani
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 147 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2004, 05:31
This post received
KUDOS
Let's start with the definition of an adverb from the Webster dictionnary: a word belonging to one of the major form classes in any of numerous languages, typically serving as a modifier of a verb, an adjective, another adverb, a preposition, a phrase, a clause, or a sentence, expressing some relation of manner or quality, place, time, degree, number, cause, opposition, affirmation, or denial, and in English also serving to connect and to express comment on clause content

As you can see, an adverb not only modifies a verb but also adjectives, among many other things. Going back to your sentence:
which bans such seeming lesser evils as

What is "seeming" modifying? "Lesser" or "evils"? Is it right to say the "seeming" evils or is it better the "seemingly lesser" evil in which case "seemingly" modifies "lesser", the adjective. In this case, it seems proper to say that "seemingly" should modify "lesser", not "evil" and this is why B also sounds better to the ear. I'll give you another example whereby you'll have to choose b/w an adjective or an adverb.

ie The beautiful/beautifully blue flower.

Is it the "flower" or the "blue" which is beautiful? In this case, "beautiful" should stay in its adjective form to modify "flower" because once again, logic says that we are not describing the "blue" as being beautiful but instead, the "flower"

Just to add that you can also add a conjunction b/w the two adj. or adverb and see if it works. If it does, then the two should have an adjective form or else, the former should have an adverbial form. Let's start with the original question:

which bans such seeming and lesser evils as
seeming evils --> wrong
and
lesser evils--> ok
Since it is illogical to say seeming evils, seeming is meant to be an adverb modifying "lesser" and should read "seemingly"

From my example:
The beautiful flower--> ok
and
blue flower--> ok
Since both make sense with flower, both are then intended to modify noun flower and "beautfiful" stays as such in its adjective form

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2004, 09:22
nice example...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2004, 12:06
Thanks Paul !! :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2004, 15:33
Thanks Paul!

I have an Idea now I will dig into the concept and come back with other question. :-D

Thanks
Saurabh Malpani
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2004, 20:53
Paul wrote:
Let's start with the definition of an adverb from the Webster dictionnary: a word belonging to one of the major form classes in any of numerous languages, typically serving as a modifier of a verb, an adjective, another adverb, a preposition, a phrase, a clause, or a sentence, expressing some relation of manner or quality, place, time, degree, number, cause, opposition, affirmation, or denial, and in English also serving to connect and to express comment on clause content

As you can see, an adverb not only modifies a verb but also adjectives, among many other things. Going back to your sentence:

What is "seeming" modifying? "Lesser" or "evils"? Is it right to say the "seeming" evils or is it better the "seemingly lesser" evil in which case "seemingly" modifies "lesser", the adjective. In this case, it seems proper to say that "seemingly" should modify "lesser", not "evil" and this is why B also sounds better to the ear. I'll give you another example whereby you'll have to choose b/w an adjective or an adverb.

Is it the "flower" or the "blue" which is beautiful? In this case, "beautiful" should stay in its adjective form to modify "flower" because once again, logic says that we are not describing the "blue" as being beautiful but instead, the "flower"

Just to add that you can also add a conjunction b/w the two adj. or adverb and see if it works. If it does, then the two should have an adjective form or else, the former should have an adverbial form. Let's start with the original question:

seeming evils --> wrong
and
lesser evils--> ok
Since it is illogical to say seeming evils, seeming is meant to be an adverb modifying "lesser" and should read "seemingly"

From my example:
and
blue flower--> ok
Since both make sense with flower, both are then intended to modify noun flower and "beautfiful" stays as such in its adjective form

Thanks Paul for your detail analysis and valuable inputs.
MA
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2004, 20:11
Paul wrote:

seeming evils --> wrong
and
lesser evils--> ok

From my example:
and
blue flower--> ok

Great explanation. Just a quite note. Adverb modifies anything but a noun. A nice rule to remember
CEO
CEO
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2007, 01:15
Paul wrote:

seeming evils --> wrong
and
lesser evils--> ok

From my example:
and
blue flower--> ok

nice!

a quick rule of thumb, although there are exceptions (such as the beautiful blue flower example above), can be used on the GMAT

adverb + adjective + noun

where the adverb modifies the adjective and, in turn, the adjective modifies the noun. the adverb does not modify the noun.
  [#permalink] 17 Jun 2007, 01:15