Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:32 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [289]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [101]
Given Kudos: 130
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63656 [39]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [39]
Re: Seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, but it ran 363 miles a [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
mahendru1992 wrote:
Hi thanks for replying. :D But what i mean is if you look at the original question which has the following line "Seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep but if you look at option B "Seldom more than 40 feet wide or 12 feet deep". How does this make sense? I'm sorry if i'm nitpicking and if the meaning is obvious, I don't get it.
P.S The question that you posted in your reply has and in option b. So could the original question have a typo by any chance?

Ah! I didn't notice the and/or distinction. This is a perfect example of changing the meaning to what the sentence is trying to say.

The sentence is trying to say ----
The Erie Canal is seldom more than 40 feet wide
and also
The Erie Canal is seldom more than 12 feet deep
That's the intended meaning. It is trying to say that each one of those conditions is true. How do we say that in combined form?

This is a very common mistake --- combining negative statements (the word "seldom" is a mild negative). People think that because there's an "and" between the two overall ideas, there should be an "and" between the individual elements. This is WRONG.
The sentence
"The Erie Canal is seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep"
technically implies: What's rare is the combination, the stretches where the canal is simultaneously more than 40 feet wide and more than 12 feet deep. It's only a statement about the combination stretches, where both conditions are met. In other words, this sentence allows for all kinds of stretches where it is much wider than 40, as long as its shallow, or much deeper than 12, as long as its narrow. That's what is allowed by this phrasing, and this is not what the sentence is trying to say. The sentence is trying to say that (1) the condition "more than 40 feet wide" is a rare condition, and separately, (2) the condition "more than 12 feet deep" is a rare condition. Both are rare individually --- it's not the combination that's important at all. The correct way to convey this is:
"The Erie Canal is seldom more than 40 feet wide or 12 feet deep"

Similarly,
One cannot vote if one is under 18. True.
One cannot vote if one has a felony record. True.
How do we combine these into a single true statement. Many people make the mistake:
One cannot vote if one is under 18 and has a felony record.
That would be an illogical statement saying that the only folks forbidden to vote would be teenagers with felony records, a rare group. According to that red sentence, teenagers with no criminal record and felons over the age of 18 both would be allowed to vote, which is blatantly untrue.
The correct way to say this is:
One cannot vote if one is under 18 or has a felony record.

If the GMAT gives a mistake structure in the original, the job is to figure out the correct way to communicate what the original sentence is trying to say. The "not ... and" structure is almost always a mistake: see OG13, SC #21.

I hadn't noticed this split --- this increases my respect for this question even further. :-)

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 743 [9]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, but it ran 363 miles a [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
[quote="Ritesh"]Seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, but it ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, the Erie Canal connected the Hudson River at Albany to the Great Lakes at Buffalo, providing the port of New York City with a direct water link to the heartland of the North American continent.

(A) Seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, but it ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, the Erie Canal connected

(B) Seldom more than 40 feet wide or 12 feet deep but running 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, the Erie Canal connected

(C) It was seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, and ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, but the Erie Canal, connecting

(D) The Erie Canal was seldom more than 40 feet wide or 12 feet deep and it ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, which connected

(E) The Erie Canal, seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, but running 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, connecting

This question is based on Modifiers.

Option A is incorrect because the sentence begins with a modifier "Seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep" that describes a certain subject that could have been the pronoun ‘it’. However, the conjunction ‘but’ changes the construction and introduces an independent clause in between without making it clear what the modifier describes. There is also the error of comma splice towards the end of the underlined portion – “but it ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, the Erie Canal connected” – the two highlighted portions indicate the beginning of two independent clauses that cannot be separated by a comma. So, Option A can be eliminated.

Option B corrects the error in Option A by removing the pronoun ‘it’. So the sentence begins with a modifier that gives two pieces of information about the Erie Canal, which is the subject of the modifier. So, Option B is correct.

Option C is incomplete as the subject “the Erie Canal” does not have a verb to complete the idea. The use of the conjunction ‘but’ indicates that there should be a continuation of the sentence. However, while the subject ‘the Erie Canal’ has two modifiers to describe it, it is not followed by a verb to complete the sentence. So, Option C can be eliminated.

Option D has a redundant pronoun – it. Since the Erie canal is mentioned at the beginning of the sentence, the pronoun is unnecessary. Option D also has an error of modifier. The modifier “which connected….” seems to modify New York, as it is placed immediately after it. This makes no sense as it is not New York that connects the Hudson River to the Great Lakes. So, Option D can also be eliminated.

Option E contains four modifiers but the placement of the subject of these modifiers ‘the Erie Canal’ is not ideal in this option. The subject has been placed at the beginning of the sentence and is then followed by four modifiers. The modifiers “connecting the Hudson River at Albany to the Great Lakes at Buffalo” and “providing the port of New York City with a direct water link to the heartland of the North American continent” do not make sense as they have been placed too far away from the intended subject. So, Option E can also be eliminated.

Therefore, B is the most appropriate option.

Jayanthi Kumar.
General Discussion
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [7]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
mahendru1992 wrote:
Hi, I chose B as my answer but later realised that B changes the meaning. In the original sentence the canal is 40ft wide and 12ft deep, but in B the canal is 40ft wide or 12ft wide? Isn't this supposed to be a deal breaker since the meaning changed?

Dear mahendru1992,
I happy to respond. :-) Here's the question again.

Seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, but it ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, the Erie Canal connected the Hudson River at Albany to the Great Lakes at Buffalo, providing the port of New York City with a direct water link to the heartland of the North American continent.
A. Seldom more than 40 feet
wide and 12 feet deep, but it ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, the Erie Canal connected
B. Seldom more than 40 feet
wide and 12 feet deep but running 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, the Erie Canal connected
C. It was seldom more than 40 feet
wide and 12 feet deep, and ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, but the Erie Canal, connecting
D. The Erie Canal was seldom more than
wide and 12 feet deep and it ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, which connected
E. The Erie Canal, seldom more than
wide and 12 feet deep, but running 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, connecting

Hmmm. I don't think I'm seeing what you see. I don't see the words "wide" and "deep" swapped anywhere.

I will say, that, if the question did swap these words, that would be kinda a dirty cheap trick. The GMAT will not do that do you, nor will any better-quality GMAT test prep source. I don't know the source of this question, but the question itself appears to be of very high quality.

When GMAT SC answer choices "switch meaning", it's not a niggling cheap word-swap such as that. No, the "changes in meaning" often have to do with more subtle logical issues. For example, consider this sentence:
The state of Maine, in the extreme northeast corner of the continental United States, shares land borders with two Canadian provinces, Quebec and New Brunswick, but only is adjacent with one state, New Hampshire.
(A) only is adjacent with one
(B) is adjacent only with one
(C) is adjacent to only one other
(D) only is adjacent to one
(E) is only adjacent to one other

You can read more about this question, and the OA, at:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/logical-pr ... orrection/
Technically, there are subtle changes in meaning among the answer choices, although some folks might recognize that there's any difference in meaning. We can tell what the sentence is trying to say, and the job is to figure out the correct way to say it. That's most often the kind of "change in meaning" challenge the GMAT SC presents.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 330 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Bookmarks
mikemcgarry wrote:
NewKid123 wrote:
Seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, but it ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, the Erie Canal connected the Hudson River at Albany to the Great Lakes at Buffalo, providing the port of New York City with a direct water link to the heartland of the North American continent.
A. Seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, but it ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, the Erie Canal connected
B. Seldom more than 40 feet wide or 12 feet deep but running 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, the Erie Canal connected
C. It was seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, and ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, but the Erie Canal, connecting
D. The Erie Canal was seldom more than 40 feet wide or 12 feet deep and it ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, which connected
E. The Erie Canal, seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, but running 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, connecting

Dear NewKid123
I'm happy to help with this one. :-) I like this question. What's the source?

(A) we have a modifier "seldom more than ..." in parallel with an independent clause "it ran ....", a failure of parallelism. Then, we get a run-on sentence --- two independent clauses separated only by a comma. See:
https://gmat.magoosh.com/lessons/916-run-on-sentences
This choice is incorrect.

(B) [modifier] "but" [modifier], [subject][verb] .... all correct. This is promising.

(C) "It was ..." (independent clause), "and ran" (verb in parallel, so far, so good), "but the Erie canal" [modifier][modifier]
This is a failure of parallelism --- after that comma and "but", we need either a full verb or a complete independent clause, and we get neither. For more on parallelism, see:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/parallelis ... orrection/
This is incorrect.

(D) Misplaced modifier!! A classic mistake!! "... the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, which connected the Hudson River at Albany to the Great Lakes at Buffalo ..." The canal did that connecting, not the wilderness of upstate NY. The canal is the intended modifier, but the modifier is nowhere near the canal. This is a violation of the Modifier Touch Rule --- see:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/modifiers- ... orrection/

(E) The missing verb mistake!! Another oldie but goodie!! This choice has modifier after modifier --- it has a perfectly good subject, "The Erie Canal" at the beginning, but this subject has absolutely no verb. There is no full verb anywhere in the sentence, only participial modifiers. See
https://gmat.magoosh.com/lessons/914-the ... rb-mistake

Thus, the only completely correct choice, and hence the only possible answer, is (B).

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Question for you:
A) You state there is a run on sentence - where is the run on? The information after ",providing" doesn't have an independent clause since it's a -ing verb. Am I missing something here?
B) I actually chose this answer because it looked best but the more I look at it, isn't there a parallelism issue -- "Seldom more than ... but ...running 363 miles" - Isn't it an independent clause and then running starts with a verb?

Thanks!

EDIT: Another trick I used(which i'm not sure is valid) is whenever I saw the sentence begin with a pronoun or if the sentence had a pronoun before the antecedent, I automatically eliminated it. I figured that the antecedent has to come BEFORE the pronoun. Therefore, I eliminated A & C. Is that a false assumption I made?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [3]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
russ9 wrote:
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Question for you:
A) You state there is a run on sentence - where is the run on? The information after ",providing" doesn't have an independent clause since it's a -ing verb. Am I missing something here?
B) I actually chose this answer because it looked best but the more I look at it, isn't there a parallelism issue -- "Seldom more than ... but ...running 363 miles" - Isn't it an independent clause and then running starts with a verb?

Thanks!

EDIT: Another trick I used (which i'm not sure is valid) is whenever I saw the sentence begin with a pronoun or if the sentence had a pronoun before the antecedent, I automatically eliminated it. I figured that the antecedent has to come BEFORE the pronoun. Therefore, I eliminated A & C. Is that a false assumption I made?

Dear russ9,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

1) the run-on in choice (A)
It ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, the Erie Canal connected the Hudson River at Albany to the Great Lakes at Buffalo.
That's a run-on sentence with a comma-splice, a classic mistake pattern.

2) in the OA, choice (B):
//Seldom more than 40 feet wide or 12 feet deep
but
//running 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York
Those are two parallel noun-modifier. Either one could be used alone to modify "the Erie Canal":
Seldom more than 40 feet wide or 12 feet deep, the Erie Canal ...
Running 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, the Erie Canal ...

3) Your trick will usually work, but in certain cases, it could run into math. You see, the antecedent can come after the pronoun under certain circumstances. For example, it can generate rhetorical tension to mention a pronoun in the first clause, inducing curiosity in the reader. A skilled writer might use this to create momentum --- the curiosity impels the reader to know more. For example, if I begin:
Though he was one of the greatest scientists of the 20th century, ...
That opening leaves the reader with a sense of curiosity: who is the writer going to name? what kind of ironic contrast will be communicated? Here's the whole sentence:
Though he was one of the greatest scientists of the 20th century, Einstein struggled with math throughout his life.
That sentence is grammatically correct and rhetorically sophisticated, and yet the pronoun comes before its antecedent.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hello Folks,

I have 2 questions:

(a) I see in option A, there is a usage of comma+but and in option B there is no comma.
Seems like comma+but is not correct. Can anyone tell me if there are come specific rules for this?

A. Seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, but it ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, the Erie Canal connected
B. Seldom more than 40 feet wide or 12 feet deep but running 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, the Erie Canal connected

(b) i) Can 2 noun modifier modify the subject?
ii) Can the 'noun modifier 1' modify the subject and 'noun modifier 2' modify the fluff?

Example:
<noun modifier 1> , <noun modifier 2> , < Subject + verb+ fluff >

Thank you
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [4]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
nitestr wrote:
Hello Folks,

I have 2 questions:

(a) I see in option A, there is a usage of comma+but and in option B there is no comma.
Seems like comma+but is not correct. Can anyone tell me if there are come specific rules for this?

(b) i) Can 2 noun modifier modify the subject?
ii) Can the 'noun modifier 1' modify the subject and 'noun modifier 2' modify the fluff?

Example:
<noun modifier 1> , <noun modifier 2> , < Subject + verb+ fluff >

Thank you

Dear nitestr,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

First of all, for your first question, I would say you are focusing on the wrong thing. In (A), we get
[noun modifier]-[comma]-"but"-[clause]
In general, we would use a comma to separate one clause from another. The problem with (A) is that it seems to be putting a simple noun modifier in parallel with an entire clause. This is a catastrophe of parallelism: that's the problem, not the comma.

In (B), we have
[noun modifier #1]-[no comma]-"but"-[noun modifier #2]
There's not a hard-and-fast rule here. In general, if the two noun-modifiers are relatively short, as they are here, then we don't need the comma. If the noun modifiers are long, with several more phrases & clauses inside them, then we might need the comma to show organization and direction in the larger flow of the sentence. To some extent, it has to do with how someone would speak the sentence --- if a slight pause is indicated in speech, then we use a comma. Ultimately, all comma rules reflect spoken language.

For the second question, (2 i), first of all, yes, in the OA, (B), that's exactly what we have: two noun modifiers, in parallel, modifying the subject.
[noun modifier #1:]Seldom more than 40 feet wide or 12 feet deep
but

[noun modifier #2:]running 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York,
the Erie Canal connected . . .

Both noun modifiers modify the subject, the "Erie Canal."

But (2 ii) could we have two modifiers at the beginning, one modifying the subject, and one modifying a noun that comes after the verb? No. Remember the Modifier Touch Rule. If noun modifier #1 modifiers the subject and noun modifier #2 modifies the object, then our sentence structure would have to be something more like . .
[modifier #1][subject][verb][object][noun modifier #2].
Each modifier touching the noun it modifies.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the great reply.

Another question: In the below case can both the noun modifier modify an object in the clause which comes after?
<noun modifier1>,<noun modifier2>,<subject+verb, object>

I'm just trying to think of all possible ways noun modifier could jump and modify something in the main clause.

Thanks
:)
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
nitestr wrote:
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the great reply.

Another question: In the below case can both the noun modifier modify an object in the clause which comes after?
<noun modifier1>,<noun modifier2>,<subject+verb, object>

I'm just trying to think of all possible ways noun modifier could jump and modify something in the main clause.

Thanks
:)

Dear nitestr,
My friend, you need to understand the Modifier Touch Rule and its few legitimate exceptions. You are making up wild cases that completely depart from the rules of grammar. Noun modifiers don't jump unpredictably: there are only a few very specific exceptions to the Touch Rule. You need to understand the basics inside-out before you invent scenarios on your own. See.
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/modifiers ... orrection/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
NewKid123 wrote:
C. It was seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, and ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, but the Erie Canal, connecting
D. The Erie Canal was seldom more than 40 feet wide or 12 feet deep and it ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, which connected
E. The Erie Canal, seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, but running 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, connecting

Hi mike, i went through your run on sentence explanation, however i still couldn't understand why comma change the meaning drastically for answer choice A.

I understand that Seldom more than 40 feet wide or 12 feet deep is a modifier + ,But - an other modifier it ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate new York, the subject ( The Erie Canal)

are you saying that the problem here is first one is a fragment and thus we can't connect it by comma...

its has to be ---independent clause + conjunction without comma independent clause?

Or fragment , + conjunction + independent clause ( it's a wrong usage--it think this would be reason)

I'm confused...could any one help?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [4]
Kudos