Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V38
GPA: 2.64
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Send PM
Re: Selecting the best approach to MBA applications. [#permalink]
jxatrillion wrote:
Hi Cheetarah. Thanks for the quick feedback. I'll answer some of your questions in just a sec. My main issue was pretty much your second bullet. Ive received similar criticism. The truth is I started as an Equities Trader which was performance based. It was extremely volatile for me in terms of pay and at 23 I simply needed a stable income to cover my debts at that time. Furthermore, I had a great opportunity at Apple to receive leadership training; that ultimately led me to leave the firm. Since then, I've independently traded my own money so I feel good about my competency in the field but of course I want to expand in that into a full-time position.

Regarding my interest, I am absolutely in love with McCombs, where I graduated 3 years ago. Jones and Jindal are wonderful programs and offer everything in a program that I'm looking for. There are top 30 schools I would prefer to apply to but was planning to wait another year. Also, the out of state thing was something that I'm still battling. If I were to get into any of those programs listed, I wouldn't think twice nor feel any regrets.

I know the UG will be a problem and I'm currently preparing more examples to lessen its potential to hurt me. Assuming I get an interview and of course write the optional essays, I feel pretty good about communicating why it's not an accurate reflection of my potential and of course how I've demonstrated my abilities since then.

Hoping to get others' inputs as well.

I think you can go with your true goals and make it work. The story is there it's just not as linear. It's ok to try something different then decide to go back to the original. Your reasoning for going to Apple is solid, plus it's a blue chip company. You've also maintained your interest in equities trading on the side. But the most important reason why you should communicate your true goals in your essays is because it's the truth. You will write a more compelling essay about what you really want to do rather than what you think an admissions committee wants to read. That's just my opinion. I know others may disagree.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Sorry for late response, but thank you so much for the reply! After thinking about it for awhile, I'm with you on this. I'm going to go with the true story and get help from others on how to articulate it best. I'm also just going to wait until 1st round of 2013 applications to apply when my profile is at its strongest.

One more thing: I was wondering about your opinion on hiring a consultant. I'm thinking about hiring a firm (one that's reviewed on GC) to help me bring out the strengths in my application and to help me prepare for the entire process.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Send PM
I thinkconsultants can be very helpful in crafting a compelling application. The only consulting services I used was an essay critique from Essay Snark (brutal, but excellent). While I definitely did not do my applications all on my own, I employed a lot of free resources. If you have friends or family who are attending or are recent alums of top schools they can often be just as helpful (and much less costly) as a consultant. Between GMAT Club, the free advice many consultants already give on their websites (Precision Essay has a great site w/ tons of info), Essay Snark, and my friends I was able to overcome a low GPA w/ a downward trend and go 3/4 on my applications. I would evaluate the resources you already have at your disposal and if you find that they are already robust hire a consultant as needed as a supplement. If you're on your own, then def hire someone for one school. Based on how that goes either employ them further, take what you learned and run with it on your own for your remaining schools, or find a different consultant altogether. What I do not recommendis going it alone (which it sounds like you won't). No matter how strong a candidate is, a 2nd set of eyes and some objective feedback are always a plus.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.7
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
I thinkconsultants can be very helpful in crafting a compelling application. The only consulting services I used was an essay critique from Essay Snark (brutal, but excellent). While I definitely did not do my applications all on my own, I employed a lot of free resources. If you have friends or family who are attending or are recent alums of top schools they can often be just as helpful (and much less costly) as a consultant. Between GMAT Club, the free advice many consultants already give on their websites (Precision Essay has a great site w/ tons of info), Essay Snark, and my friends I was able to overcome a low GPA w/ a downward trend and go 3/4 on my applications. I would evaluate the resources you already have at your disposal and if you find that they are already robust hire a consultant as needed as a supplement. If you're on your own, then def hire someone for one school. Based on how that goes either employ them further, take what you learned and run with it on your own for your remaining schools, or find a different consultant altogether. What I do not recommendis going it alone (which it sounds like you won't). No matter how strong a candidate is, a 2nd set of eyes and some objective feedback are always a plus.

Posted from my mobile device

Hey jxatrillion - I second cheetarah's suggestion about going with your true story but I'd like to add that schools look at what you are aiming for and if you have done everything or will do everything to get you to your goal. They are looking for ambition. There are tones of stories of applicants on this very website with poor GPA and GMAT getting into top schools, so you may have a weakness but it is not a show stoppers and the Adcom wants to hear you accept that the MBA is just that stepping stone or push to get your there.

Also, it's important you align yourself with what that school is asking or looking for in their prospective students...For example some schools wants international experience or leadership abilities and I think a consultant - not an essay editing company - will help you reach there. To add to that, discussions with an expert bring will help you bring out your best attributes to help equalize the weakness of the GPA through the additional essay. So, i'd say def find your best consultant match and get on and show your ambitions.

Hope it helps...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. It is sure expensive and so I'll have to save up the rest of the year just to have the funds ready should I decide to go with a consulting firm. Luckily, I've decided to apply when my profile is at its strongest so will wait it out until 1st round late next year to apply. This will give me ample time to address certain holes in my profile and to really reflect what I want out of my future education.

Is there any that you have worked with personally?
GMAT Club Bot