Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1215 [1]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: ISB '18 (A)
GPA: 2.7
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1215 [0]
Send PM
Re: Self-Prep: 710 after 4 attempts, and I will take this score. [#permalink]
Samwong wrote:
Congratulation on a great score. Many people, including me, would be so happy with a 710. Remember, getting a 710 on the GMAT means that out of 100 test takers, you outperform 92 people. Great job!

Out of RC, CR, and SC, what is you weakness?

How much time do you usually spent per question on SC and CR?

How many GMAT Club Test did you take? Are the GMAT Club Test comparable to the real test?

Thanks!

Following are my average timings:

1. SC Easy: 1:10-1:15
2. SC Difficult: 1:30-1:40
3. CR (Easy/Lower Difficulty): 1:20-30
4. CR (Average Difficulty): 1;50-2:00
5. CR (Difficult): 2:10
6. RC (3 Para Easy): 6 mins
7. RC (3 Para Difficult): 7:30
8. RC (4 para): 8:00-8:30

The GMATClub Maths tests are really very good. They are a bit more difficult, but they are very useful to practice difficult questions. Also, as I mentioned, GMAT Maths is getting tougher.So, it is better to practice some tough questions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1215 [0]
Send PM
mshrek wrote:
gmatter0913 wrote:
Hi

I am a 30 year old Indian working in a marketing industry. My story of GMAT is as follows.

It all started in 2010 when I thought GMAT is something that I can ace in my dreams. I barely prepared for anything and I walked into the exam center with confidence. I got a shocker!! My GMAT score was 630 (Q49, V26). I was devastated and I continued to do my job.

Later, I started my preparation again in Q4'2011 and wrote my exam in Q1'2012. I knew that verbal was my weakness and I prepared carefully. I went through all the Manhattan guides, CR Bible, and the OG 12. I prepared for 5 months in total and I started to touch 700s in mocks. I got 700 in my last two mocks in Manhattan and I got 680 and 690 in my official GMATPrep exams. I convinced myself that I am there (700 level) and I would get a 700 plus in the exam. I gave my exam and I got a 680 (Q49, V34). I was not happy, but I decided to apply with this score.

I applied to ISB, MIT, and Cornell, and I didn't receive even an interview from any of the three colleges. I was devastated. The consultant told me that my GMAT score has to be improved because I belong to the Indian applicant pool. So, in 2013, I decided to write the exam again. I took some time off from work and I have given the exam again. As usual, I knew I need to focus on Verbal. I bought the Question Pack and the Exam Pack from GMAC. I practiced a lot and I was happy with my mocks. I scored in the 700 to 740 range in mocks. I used Kaplan, MGMAT and official mocks. On the day of the exam, I did my essay and IR well. I took the break and returned to start the Maths section. I told myself to slowdown and cross-check my answers in Maths. I was happy with my performance in the Maths section. When I started my verbal section, the first question was an SC and I was not sure of the answer. I didn't want to do the first question wrong, but at the same time I was not able to decide between two options. I spent more than 4 minutes on that question. It goes without saying that I had problem managing my time in the Verbal exam. In the end, I got Q49, V33 and a total score of 680.

I was really disappointed. But, I decided to prepare again. I focused on understanding the clauses and modifiers very carefully. After working for 4 months and scoring consistently in the range of 720 plus, I decided to give the exam for one final time. Because of my previous experience, I wasn't very confident that I can score above 700. My essay and my IR went well. The first question in Maths stumped me a bit. It was a convoluted question. But, after 4 minutes I got to the correct answer. I moved slowly and cautiously in the initial questions. I felt Maths to be tougher than what I saw in GMAT Prep. At the end, I somehow managed my time well. I wasn't very happy with my Maths performance. I knew that I am not getting a Q50, but I prayed that I should atleast get a Q49. I took my break and I had a few slices of apple and one banana. I told myself that I should atleast do my Verbal well. The first few questions were SC and I felt confident of the answers. After 10 questions (including one RC), I had 56 minutes left. I was happy with the timing too. But, I started to get very lengthy SCs (3-4 lines) and very lengthy CRs (6-7 lines). Then came the bomb! I got an RC with 5 paragraphs and then followed by another RC with 4 paragraphs. The 5 paragraph RC was difficult and there were too many transitions in the idea. The RCs slowed me down and I lost valuable time attempting those RCs. When I was Q29, I was having 17 minutes left and I knew that I was in trouble. At the end, I got a Q49, V36 710.

I realized that Q49 is now 79 percentile, whereas my earlier score reports show some 80+ percentile for Q49. I think Maths is getting tougher on the GMAT.

Some of my mock scores are as follows:

GMAT Prep 4: 730
GMAT Prep 3: 730
GMAT Prep 2: 760
GMAT Prep 1: 760

MGMAT 6: 710
MGMAT 5: 730
MGMAT 4: 710
MGMAT 3: 680
MGMAT 2: 670
MGMAT 1: 670

Though I am not super happy with a 710, I will definitely accept this score and apply to colleges. I am interested in pursuing Marketing and Consulting in future. I hope I can apply to atleast a few schools from the top 12 with this score.

I decided to apply to Kelloggs, Anderson, McCombs, and Kenan Flager in R1. Kindly let me know your thoughts on what do you think about my four attempts and a score of 710. Will the four attempts be a drawback in my profile?

Not sure about mccombs , kenanflagler but considering you are looking for marketing and consulting in future , kellogg and ucla are nice picks. Moreover i think you stand a good chance in mccombs and kenan flagler . good luck with your applications :)

Can you elaborate on why did you say you are not sure about McCombs and Kenan-Flager?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
congratulations !

Can you please let me know the usefulness of :

GMAC Question Pack
GMAC Exam Pack.

Thanks !
GMAT Club Bot