Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 12:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Self Reporting of GMAT Scores

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 31

Self Reporting of GMAT Scores [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 15:40
Can anybody fill me in on how this actually plays out. Do you truly just enter your best score and then submit your report only after you decide to matriculate? Is this the process at all top 20 MBA programs?

I noticed, on Kellogg's application info page states the following:

For applicants taking the GMAT: The Kellogg School will record the highest score but encourages applicants to report additional scores if the test is taken more than once.

If a school only considers your top score what would encourage an applicant to report poor scores? What impact does this all have on the decision?

I am wondering because I am not hitting my target scores yet and have the exam scheduled for Dec. 22nd. If I end up having to report low scores, despite having one strong 700+ strong score, is it a better strategy to postpone? Does this vary by school?

I imagine this must be addressed somewhere here, but if an expert could fill me in I'd greatly appreciate.

Thanks
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 6

Re: Self Reporting of GMAT Scores [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 17:02
So most schools do not ask for an official copy of the GMAT (the one you have GMAC send over) but they do ask you to self report and upload a copy of the score report that GMAC makes available to you. The uploading is optional. I do not think showing a poor score and a good score is negative as long as the good score is the last score. If your new score is more then 20 points lower then your first it might raise questions.

You could submit the application without the new score, and based on the new score submit the new information via part 2 or an email (depending on the date you find out). This way if it is poor, it may not add value to submit it until after you get an acceptance since it would not benefit you in the admissions process.

Hope that helps.
Current Student

Re: Self Reporting of GMAT Scores [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 22:06
Appreciate the response.

So is this true for all schools in the top 20? Looks like you said most, so are there any specific exceptions you know of?

Do you think it would be questionable if applicants just report their one best score?

Thanks again!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 6

Re: Self Reporting of GMAT Scores [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 07:46
neilferrini wrote:
Appreciate the response.

So is this true for all schools in the top 20? Looks like you said most, so are there any specific exceptions you know of?

Do you think it would be questionable if applicants just report their one best score?

Thanks again!

Not sure which schools do and do not require official scores. But I would not risk any ethical concerns. After you get in they run a full background check on you. Do not want to get in trouble for such a simple thing.
Current Student

Re: Self Reporting of GMAT Scores [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 14:21
rgupta83 wrote:
neilferrini wrote:
Appreciate the response.

Thanks again!

Not sure which schools do and do not require official scores. But I would not risk any ethical concerns. After you get in they run a full background check on you. Do not want to get in trouble for such a simple thing.

Definitely not, but I am inquiring specifically to find out if I have nothing to worry about if I have a low score on my official record. Everybody always says that they only consider your best score, but I would like to find out that even though this is the case, whether they have to see my inferior scores and my best score or they only have to see my best score when considering my best score. Honestly, as an applicant I would prefer the latter (only of course, if it is in compliance with the application rules).

So I am just trying to weigh my options here. If a low score (or a couple low scores) followed by a final great score must be seen by the adcom, should I just wait and make sure I am at least hitting my targets on practice tests before I take the exam. Or can I just take it next week knowing that if I get a lower score, an adcom won't have to see it until I am granted admission?

Perhaps I am over-thinking! Just want to make the right decision here with whether or not to take.

Again, I appreciate the response.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q V
GMAT 2: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE: Marketing (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: Self Reporting of GMAT Scores [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 15:47
on the unofficial score report gmat sends you by pdf, and even the official one you send to the school, i think it shows all your past scores (at least mine did on the unofficial). i don't think you can really hide it or "selectively show"

Help advise me on where to matriculate! help-booth-vs-stern-vs-ross-129563.html

Current Student

Re: Self Reporting of GMAT Scores [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 16:16
chynaxdawl wrote:
on the unofficial score report gmat sends you by pdf, and even the official one you send to the school, i think it shows all your past scores (at least mine did on the unofficial). i don't think you can really hide it or "selectively show"

I guess my question then, is do you have to submit this official score report as part of your application or after you are granted admission? If it is the latter, do you have to self report all past scores on your application or do you just put your one best score?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q V
GMAT 2: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE: Marketing (Hospitality and Tourism)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: Self Reporting of GMAT Scores [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 16:29
^^ it really depends on the school. i think most schools let you self report and you don't need to send the official scores until you're accepted. but some do require you upload the unofficial report. and some schools give you 3-5 slots for gmat dates/scores, and some only provide one.

Help advise me on where to matriculate! help-booth-vs-stern-vs-ross-129563.html

Manager
Manager
Status: Taking heavily leveraged but calculated risks at all times
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: HBS '15, Stanford '15
GMAT Date: 01-31-2012

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 12

Re: Self Reporting of GMAT Scores [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 22:37
I am kinda confused on how this works too.
Presume I appear for my GMAT in jan 2012 and report my scores to 5 schools immediately after the exam and apply in Sept 2012 to matriculate in sept 2013, do I have to self report again when I apply ( since the application season for class entering 2012 into bschool will be over and a new app. season begins by next sept. 2012).
I asked this already. Few people seem to have an idea about how this works.
Current Student

Re: Self Reporting of GMAT Scores [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2011, 12:45
Yup. I'm still not sure what my plan is going to be. I have to decide if I want to postpone or not by 12:00 tonight or it will cost me $250 vs. $50. Is there really no consequence to have a lower score if my next score is a great score? That's what I can't figure out. I am eager to take it (mostly because I have been studying for months), but will be patient if it means it could hurt my app.

This seems to be a gray area despite schools saying they consider the best score.
Re: Self Reporting of GMAT Scores   [#permalink] 14 Dec 2011, 12:45