Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 08:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Selling Real Estate while in B-School

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Should I sale real estate while in B-school full-time?

You may select 1 option
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 2.42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 7

Selling Real Estate while in B-School [#permalink] New post 27 May 2013, 18:39
I just would like to get everyone's opinions on considering selling real estate while in B-school full-time. I just would like additional income because the Cost of Attendance is less than my actual need!! Also, I would be relocating to an area I have no knowledge about but I feel that I can adapt quickly.

Follow my Blog as I attempt to pay it forward !!!
http://mbatechfinance.tumblr.com/

Current Student

Re: Selling Real Estate while in B-School [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2013, 15:40
I see some people have responded to the poll but no responses to the question!!! I just want others' opinions

Posted from my mobile device Image

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2233

Kudos [?]: 8383 [0], given: 3645

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Selling Real Estate while in B-School [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2013, 15:44
Expert's post
First of all, do you mean you have a real estate license that works in the area you ate relocating to and want to be a realtor? thats the only thing i can think of (being an agent of coldwell banker or remax)?

Posted from my mobile device.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Other, International Business
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V41

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Selling Real Estate while in B-School [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 15:14
Up here (in Ontario) you have to spend thousands of dollars each year in order to keep your license active including insurance, registration fees, etc. Plus the marketing expenses and desk fees (depending on your split with the brokerage). Assuming you mean working as a realtor, I would suspect many of those fees would apply in your state as well. Also, client service is one of the primary determinants of real estate success and I don't think a client would be happy about losing a house because you were in an exam or class presentation you couldn't get out of it...
Current Student

Re: Selling Real Estate while in B-School [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2013, 06:37
Yes, I mean I will have my real estate license in the DMV area while full-time. I wouldn't have any desk fees or desk assignements because I will have working relationship with a broker who doesn't require those fees. So the only feels that I would have are MLS and E&O insurance which is only $180 per year. The only expenses that I could see which could be varible are marketing.

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 610 Q37 V36
GPA: 3.4
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Selling Real Estate while in B-School [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2013, 05:00
Another alternative to being an agent would be to invest in real estate. I don't have a license but I plan on getting a Rental property and using that income to help while in b-school. Every city is different but in Atlanta it's not too hard to find a place below $100k that will bring in $400-500 per month profit. I have a place now with a $700 mortgage that I could rent for $1500/month :)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 95

Re: Selling Real Estate while in B-School [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2013, 23:23
The good part about selling real estate, most showings are in the evening and weekends. The bad news, that's prime study time. Still since the hours are flexible, it sounds like a winner.

I do not beg for kudos.

Re: Selling Real Estate while in B-School   [#permalink] 25 Jul 2013, 23:23