Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 01:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Semester abroad during MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 20

Semester abroad during MBA [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 09:03
Hi all,

Most top MBA's offer the option of spending a semester at a different MBA school, often abroad. Has any of you taken advantage of this opportunity? Do you know anyone that has? What is your opinion on this experience and which semester do you consider best to spend away from your primary school?

I love the idea of going abroad for a semester, getting international exposure, and seeing what studying at a different MBA is like. However, the MBA program is so short and intense, with every month crucial to networking and career development purposes. In one semester at a different school, I will likely not form long-lasting attachments, yet I might miss out on some important stuff back "home".

Thoughts?
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Semester abroad during MBA [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 12:09
This post received
KUDOS
I did not apply for a semester abroad for my second year at Tuck. My 1st year just flew by and our second year is even shorter (only 27 weeks total!). I'm kinda sad my first year almost over and felt that I wouldn't want to miss any of my 2nd year at all. There is still a ton of networking I want to do and courses I want to take at Tuck, so I will be more than happy to stay in Hanover for my 2nd year.

However, many people are doing the exchange programs and from what I've heard from the 2nd years who have done them, they were really great.

I guess it all depends on what your priorities are!

RF

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: Semester abroad during MBA [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 12:13
Thank you for the response, RF!

I'm sure both choices to stay or leave have their merits and you will enjoy your second full year at Tuck (stay warm! :-)). Do most people going on exchange leave for the 1st semester of 2nd year?

refurb wrote:
However, many people are doing the exchange programs and from what I've heard from the 2nd years who have done them, they were really great.
RF
Intern
Intern
Schools: NYU Stern 2012

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: Semester abroad during MBA [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 13:03
snowinTX wrote:

I'm sure both choices to stay or leave have their merits and you will enjoy your second full year at Tuck (stay warm! :-)). Do most people going on exchange leave for the 1st semester of 2nd year?

refurb wrote:
RF

i'm curious too. I asked at Stern and it seems like most students do it their 2nd year. The only way I would consider is if I was set on working for the company I intern with (& was extended a FT offer). Otherwise alot of networking is lost.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Semester abroad during MBA [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 16:20
snowinTX wrote:

It all depends on where you want to go. Each school has exchange opportunities available during certain times of the year. For example, LBS is during the 2nd semester, INSEAD is during the 1st semester (I think).

Seanyc has a good point too. Recruiting for full-time jobs (on-campus) begins right when your 2nd year starts. So unless you already have a full-time job lined up or plan on doing your own job search, it's hard to do an exchange at the beginning of your 2nd year.

RF

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Semester abroad during MBA [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 02:09
I exchanged from HKUST to Haas, Berkeley for 1 semester. Personally, I think it was worth it.. it all depends on your focus and career goal.

For me, I was focused on Tech Entrepreneurship in Asia.
HKUST gave me the focus on China and networks in Asia
Berkeley gave me access to mature and experienced tech & enterpreneurship resources and knowledge. Both complimented each other very well. I had the opportunity to speak to a few VCs (although quite a few have limited knowledge on what is happening in China) who are experienced with start-ups and tech. It also helped to contrast differences between schools and their focus/objectives, and allowed me to extend my network, as well as learn what's happening geographically...

e.g. Social games, virtual goods are the 'current big thing' in the USA, but it is lagging behind China and Asia ($1B USD revenue in USA, $5B USD revenue in China, $7B in Asia (incl. China). But it was good to compare the evolution of the business models and how they change from one continent to another.. something I would have struggled to do if I had stayed in only 1 school.
Manager
Manager

Re: Semester abroad during MBA [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 06:11
togafoot wrote:
I exchanged from HKUST to Haas, Berkeley for 1 semester. Personally, I think it was worth it.. it all depends on your focus and career goal.

togafoot,

Thank you for the reply - I'm glad to know the exchange worked out for you! Which semester did you take off - and were you gone for the whole half a year, or only 4 months?

It sounds like you were able to use that time to expand your network. Did you feel that the Haas students were welcoming to an outsider such as yourself, or they mostly stayed within the groups formed during the first year?

How did you find the course load as compared to HKUST?

Thanks again!
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross 2010
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Semester abroad during MBA [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 14:50
This post received
KUDOS
At Michigan you can only do an exchange in the second half of your second year. First year is out because you have core. Most people wouldn't want to go first semester of second year anyways because that's when on campus recruiting is. That said the programs vary in length. There are a couple that are just Winter A (7 wks). Although most are closer to a semester. Many students like the European school schedule where you go in early January and then are back in A2 in mid April for graduation festivities :)

I chose not to go abroad because I didn't want to be away for the last part of bschool. I took other opportunities through the school to travel internationally though. I went to Costa Rica before school on Mtrek, did Negotiation class in Bulgaria this summer and went to Russia for spring break. I do know some people, for example, wanted to work in Asia and so did the exchange to try and network with people there. There are pros and cons it just depends on your goals.
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Semester abroad during MBA [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 21:17
I exchanged for 4 months. Haas students are definitley welcoming, I made some good friends there.. very helpful bunch.

In terms of course load, well at electives stage, its up to you how much you wish to load yourself and how you manage your time. There is never enough time for everything, so it depends on your priority. Both schools are about the same in this respect.
Current Student
Schools: Tuck 2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: Semester abroad during MBA [#permalink] New post 06 May 2010, 11:41
refurb wrote:
I did not apply for a semester abroad for my second year at Tuck. My 1st year just flew by and our second year is even shorter (only 27 weeks total!). I'm kinda sad my first year almost over and felt that I wouldn't want to miss any of my 2nd year at all. There is still a ton of networking I want to do and courses I want to take at Tuck, so I will be more than happy to stay in Hanover for my 2nd year.

I guess it all depends on what your priorities are!

RF

Had you lived abroad prior to Tuck? I have never lived abroad, so I feel like I should take the opportunity to do so, but given how much I already love Tuck just from attending ASW, I suspect I will be wary of leaving for a term as well.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 117 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Semester abroad during MBA [#permalink] New post 06 May 2010, 16:16
This post received
KUDOS
MeowKat wrote:
Had you lived abroad prior to Tuck? I have never lived abroad, so I feel like I should take the opportunity to do so, but given how much I already love Tuck just from attending ASW, I suspect I will be wary of leaving for a term as well.

No I never worked abroad prior to Tuck. The thing is, my target industry is centered in the US. If I want to land the right job in my region of geographic preference, I'm going to have to do some serious networking this summer and in the fall. It's pretty tough to network with US companies when you're not in the US.

The decision for semesters abroad have already come out at a Tuck. I know of a few people that turned down some offers because of the recruiting issue.

All I can say is that your time here just flies by. I've got 2 weeks left in my first year. The second year is only 3 x 9 week periods! A few of my friends are doing semesters abroad (looking for jobs in their host countries) so the time I'll have to spend with them is pretty limited too. I couldn't imagine my second year being only 18 weeks at Tuck!

RF

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Semester abroad during MBA [#permalink] New post 10 May 2010, 06:11
Most people that do it, like it. The only downside is that it takes you out of the domestic fulltime recruiting cycle a bit. If that is not an issue (e.g., you have secured a job w/your internship company, you are looking overseas anyways, etc), then it can be very rewarding.

Good luck!
Aveek Guha, President, www.mbadaycamp.com
Re: Semester abroad during MBA   [#permalink] 10 May 2010, 06:11