Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2016, 12:23
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Senator Baker: My opponent, Candidate Rothmore, has called for

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
Followers: 114

Kudos [?]: 1436 [0], given: 178

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Senator Baker: My opponent, Candidate Rothmore, has called for [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2015, 12:54
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

57% (02:44) correct 43% (01:43) wrong based on 138 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Senator Baker: My opponent, Candidate Rothmore, has called for increased taxes to fund programs that help the long-term unemployed of the state. Such action would address an immediate symptom for a select group, without doing much to address the overall problems we all face. Only through lowering taxes can we stimulate the growth of small businesses, which will revitalize the state's whole economy. That, in turn, will result in greater prosperity and in more jobs, including jobs for those who have been unemployed for a while. Through lowering taxes, everyone wins, and those currently unemployed get the best help the economy can provide --- a real job.

In the argument, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

A) The first is a prediction about a recommendation the main argument opposes; the second is a conclusion drawn in order to support the main conclusion.
B) The first is evidence supporting the main argument; the second is the main conclusion.
C) The first is a prediction that, if accurate, would provide support for the main conclusion of the argument; the second is the main conclusion.
D) The first is an objection that the main argument rejects; the second is a claim advanced in support of the main conclusions of the argument.
E) The first is a conclusion drawn by Senator Baker's opponent; the second is Senator Baker's main conclusion.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 13

Premium Member
Re: Senator Baker: My opponent, Candidate Rothmore, has called for [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2015, 06:04
Harley1980 wrote:
Senator Baker: My opponent, Candidate Rothmore, has called for increased taxes to fund programs that help the long-term unemployed of the state. Such action would address an immediate symptom for a select group, without doing much to address the overall problems we all face. Only through lowering taxes can we stimulate the growth of small businesses, which will revitalize the state's whole economy. That, in turn, will result in greater prosperity and in more jobs, including jobs for those who have been unemployed for a while. Through lowering taxes, everyone wins, and those currently unemployed get the best help the economy can provide --- a real job.

In the argument, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

A) The first is a prediction about a recommendation the main argument opposes; the second is a conclusion drawn in order to support the main conclusion.
B) The first is evidence supporting the main argument; the second is the main conclusion.
C) The first is a prediction that, if accurate, would provide support for the main conclusion of the argument; the second is the main conclusion.
D) The first is an objection that the main argument rejects; the second is a claim advanced in support of the main conclusions of the argument.
E) The first is a conclusion drawn by Senator Baker's opponent; the second is Senator Baker's main conclusion.

Hi

Could you please provide your comments for this.

I marked A. but i took more time.

could you please clarify part A in option A

The first is a prediction about a recommendation the main argument opposes.

Thanks
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 13

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2015, 06:06
Hi mikemcgarry

could you please provide your comments for part 1 in option A

The first is a prediction about a recommendation the main argument opposes

where we are opposing this prediction in argument.

Please clarify

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 77

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2016, 00:39
PathFinder007 wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry

could you please provide your comments for part 1 in option A

The first is a prediction about a recommendation the main argument opposes

where we are opposing this prediction in argument.

Please clarify

Thanks.

Hi!

option A seems right, but What makes option D wrong?
Math Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Finance
Schools: ISB '18
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 272 [0], given: 198

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2016, 01:00
Video explanation of the question provided by Magoosh -

http://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/3117/ ... xplanation

Hope this helps ....

Abhishek....

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 77

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2016, 01:13
Abhishek009 wrote:
Video explanation of the question provided by Magoosh -

http://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/3117/ ... xplanation

Hope this helps ....

I have seen this video, thanks. They say 1st statement is not an objection. However, i feel it is an objection only. i agree A is right but what makes D wrong is what i m not getting. :(
What is an 'objection' ?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 365

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2016, 23:29
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi ashutoshsh,

The option D states: The first is an objection that the main argument rejects; the second is a claim advanced in support of the main conclusions of the argument.

While you might be right that the first boldface statement is an objection but it is not something that argument rejects. It is something that the argument states. The Senator states that: Such action would address an immediate symptom for a select group, without doing much to address the overall problems we all face. He clearly states the flaws in the opponents plan and then goes on to state his plan, that if implemented will address the issue that the state is facing.

That is how I rejected the option D. Hope it helped!

PS: I have not gone through the video explanation. I am not sure if the same thing has been mentioned there.
Senator Baker: My opponent, Candidate Rothmore, has called for   [#permalink] 29 May 2016, 23:29