Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 19:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

send score to the schools right after the test?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

send score to the schools right after the test? [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2008, 02:12
Hi all,

Being quite a naive, I want to know whether its necessary that we send the scores to our choice of b-schools right after taking the exam ( before leaving the exam hall), as it is said that these scores will be sent to 5 schools, free of cost.

Can't this option be taken anytime before 5 years of the test, to send the scores while applying for the schools? (I mean utilizing the offer of GMAC to send the scores FOC)

Please enlighten me :|

Regards,
Arpitha
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: send score to the schools right after the test? [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2008, 03:44
I was under the impression that the only chance to send scores to schools for no cost is when you select the target schools before the exam. Any subsequent score submittals cost $.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: send score to the schools right after the test? [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2008, 07:15
sonibubu wrote:
I was under the impression that the only chance to send scores to schools for no cost is when you select the target schools before the exam. Any subsequent score submittals cost $.

Immediately before the exam or far in advance when you sign up on mba.com?

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: send score to the schools right after the test? [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2008, 08:25
terp06 wrote:
sonibubu wrote:

Immediately before the exam or far in advance when you sign up on mba.com?

I selected my schools on the computer before the test started, I think just before the agreement to not share test info.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: send score to the schools right after the test? [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2008, 11:35
you pick up to 5 schools before you start the test, and at the end, before you see your score, you have to decide whether to send it (if not, you cancel the test and do not get a score).

If you don't pick the schools, each one cost $20-25 to send later on, I believe.

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Current Student
Schools: R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: send score to the schools right after the test? [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2008, 16:36
Is it beneficial to send your score to your other target schools (outside of the free 5) before applying so you can begin communicating with them and showing interest? Or does it not make a difference and it's best to wait until you apply?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: send score to the schools right after the test? [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2008, 19:49
If I am planning to take the GMAT within the next 6 months, but I won't be applying for another year or two, should I still select schools to send the score too? And if so, do schools hold onto scores for multiple years?
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: send score to the schools right after the test? [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2008, 05:42
If you share you score with a school, all that really means is that once you apply and are admitted, someone in the admissions office will log on to GMAC, punch in your ID, and confirm that the score you reported on your application matches what's on your official test record. GMAC stores your test taker record with them for 5 years.

That's all - they don't get a folder with your name, your score, photo, and your other background information that makes the admissions officer go "hey, check this guy/gal out!" The photo they take on test day is purely a security measure.

Yes, you do have to select 5 schools before you begin the test. And no, there is no perceived advantage or disadvantage to sending your scores to schools before the application deadline. If you opt in for GMASS some schools might put you on a mailing list and e-mail you about events and send you brochures etc. You don't really get to "communicate" with the admissions office on the basis of your GMAT score alone.
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: send score to the schools right after the test? [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2008, 05:51
I chose to send the scores to programs that I had a feeling I would beat their GMAT average (and I was def interested in their program no matter what). I figured if I sent them to schools with high GMAT averages, and I didnt do so well, their first impression of me would be a bad one. Perhaps I looked too much into things.....

"George is getting upset!"

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: send score to the schools right after the test? [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2008, 03:15
solaris1 wrote:
If you opt in for GMASS some schools might put you on a mailing list and e-mail you about events and send you brochures etc.

This can become quite annoying.
STOP SENDING ME BROCHURES IOWA TIPPIE! :evil:
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: send score to the schools right after the test? [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2008, 03:40
You choose right after you finish the test, but before you see the score. I remember I was still shivering from the test tension. After that you will have to pay for additional recipients.

When I took the test last year, I chose CBS, LBS, MIT, NYU and Haas, and later (around 2 weeks later) sent additional receipts to GSB, Stanford and Wharton, paying more for these last additional 3 schools.

I’m not sure if the schools know when you sent your score vis-à-vis when you took the test, and if they care about it.

Rhyme´s guide to interviewing
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030

Kwam's Profile
111-t57360

Current Student
Schools: R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: send score to the schools right after the test? [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2008, 04:13
sonibubu wrote:
solaris1 wrote:
If you opt in for GMASS some schools might put you on a mailing list and e-mail you about events and send you brochures etc.

Haha! Me too!! I think I get daily emails from Tippie! Unless you are open to most schools and don't know where you want to go, I would recommend not opting-in for GMASS.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: send score to the schools right after the test? [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2008, 10:22
cpgmba wrote:
sonibubu wrote:
solaris1 wrote:

Haha! Me too!! I think I get daily emails from Tippie! Unless you are open to most schools and don't know where you want to go, I would recommend not opting-in for GMASS.

Oye! I get the Tippie emails and the ones from Rollins. Haha. :lol:

I sent my score to a few schools when I took the test - I figured even if I did badly, the official score reports I would send with my final score would show all previous scores - so no harm :lol:
Re: send score to the schools right after the test?   [#permalink] 27 Jun 2008, 10:22