Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 21:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sending GMAT scores before retake

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.38
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 8

Sending GMAT scores before retake [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 09:50
Hi all,

I am seeking advice regarding a potential GMAT retake. I have taken the GMAT twice; the first time, I was very nervous and scored a 660 (41V39Q). On my second attempt, I scored a 730 (45V45Q). Although I am happy with my overall score, I was disappointed with my quant subscore (45, 74th %ile). I just recently took a Manhattan GMAT CAT and scored a 750; although I realize that retaking the test for a small overall score increase is a bad idea, I scored 48 this time on the quant section. On my other practice tests (all 5 Kaplan CATS and 2 GMATPrep CATS), I generally scored in the upper 40s (47-50) on the quant. Given that my quant background is a slight potential weakness, I am considering taking the test again (this would be the third and final time). I am hoping to score above the 80th %ile on the quant section.

My question is this: in order to mitigate the risk of scoring lower than my second attempt (730, 45V45Q), is there any downside to sending my current scores to programs before I retake again? Is there any way that adcoms could see my third score (if it was not good and I did not send it)? Would there be any other negative effects?

Thanks,
kcw984
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Sending GMAT scores before retake [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 11:09
I have no idea what the B-schools actually do. I know what I would do. I would take the highest score of each applicant and the average. I would look at the high with the avg next to it in parentheses. Then i would put a third number by both which would be the number of times taken. 1-3 with a show of improvement I would chalk up to hard work and earnestness. These are a positive quality for a manager/business person. Over 3 is borderline obsessive and perhaps even a little sad.

Understand this is just my opinion and I do not serve on admissions committee at any school.

If you found my comments helpful, please give kudos.
Thanks,
Skip
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2284

Kudos [?]: 8898 [0], given: 3671

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Sending GMAT scores before retake [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 02:39
Expert's post
See this thread for a lot more on GMAT Scores: gmat-score-guide-to-gmat-scores-score-reports-83890.html

Basically:
1. No, schools won't see your third score if you send the report right now
2. There is no harm in sending in a score report that has 3 scores which are 660, 730, and 500 - schools will use only the highest score.

The way it works, is you self-report the score on the application and then a clerk verifies that against your computer record that they get from GMAC; nobody actually labors or spends time reviewing your score reports (usually).

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: Sending GMAT scores before retake [#permalink] New post 26 May 2010, 00:02
Expert's post
Hi Skip:
I like the way you think. It would be interesting to mix it up a little. However, it is pretty cut and dry. Admissions committees simply look at the highest single score. I used to be of the opinion that taking the GMAT more than three or four times was detrimental. However, there is really no evidence of that. In fact, I have heard several admissions committees members say that they really don't care how many times you take it as long as you get the score that is needed. In my experience, most of my clients have taken the GMAT at least twice and they still are getting into top 10 programs.

I think the bottom line is that if the admissions committee likes you on paper, then they will be very forgiving with this one aspect. They want to give you the benefit of the doubt if your stories really pop out of the paper. Just get that magic three digit number and it gives us the admissions committee members just that much more reason to support you and go to bat for you if you happen to be on the borderline.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

skipjames wrote:
I have no idea what the B-schools actually do. I know what I would do. I would take the highest score of each applicant and the average. I would look at the high with the avg next to it in parentheses. Then i would put a third number by both which would be the number of times taken. 1-3 with a show of improvement I would chalk up to hard work and earnestness. These are a positive quality for a manager/business person. Over 3 is borderline obsessive and perhaps even a little sad.

Understand this is just my opinion and I do not serve on admissions committee at any school.

If you found my comments helpful, please give kudos.
Thanks,
Skip

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Re: Sending GMAT scores before retake   [#permalink] 26 May 2010, 00:02