Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 14:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

seniors in college...advice needed as a future applicant

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

seniors in college...advice needed as a future applicant [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2009, 13:06
Hello,

First, this is NOT a "what are my chances question".
Currently I am a senior at a top 50 public university, where I major in Marketing. While I do have a solid GPA, 3.8/4.0, it is quite obvious when looking down my transcript that I have many A's, however those classes that I did not get a "A's" in tend to be those course that are rigorous, such as Accounting, Finance, Art History, Statistics. I had a bad work ethic in college, in the fact that I choose to take "easy" courses so make my GPA look very good, when in fact all of the hard courses I evidently didn't perform amazing in but rather just recieved B's or B+'s. After doing more research into top MBA programs, I noticed that they pay close attention to the rigor of your curriculum and particular university.

After graduation, I plan to work in a boutique consulting firm focusing on business risk and real estate advisory. However in the long term I plan to switch over into Real Estate. I want to get into Real Estate investing. As a side note, I noticed that most of the top MBA programs have an extremely small percentage of people who come from the Real Estate sector. Often time 1-2% of attendees come from this sector.

I plan to apply to business school in four years. I already know that I am not a good standardized test taker, judging by my struggles with the SAT's. Therefore I was curious to know what advice you can give me, to help distinguish and make myself a unique applicant? ... so that possibly my decievingly "high GPA", and my likely sub-par GMAT score will not be weighted as heavily.
I plan to exit consulting within 1-2 years, and switch into a more formal real estate career, thus avoiding the run down cookie-cutter MBA applicant that is from consulting/banking. My family has begun investing in Real Estate, therefore I plan to start that after consulting, hopefully opening my own business prior to attending business school. I was thinking of possibly taking core business courses over again, to earn better grades, however I wasn't sure if this is only good for applicants who come from non-business majors, or if this is a good thing to do for people who did not perform as well as they could in college.
What do you suggest I do over the next four years, to prepare myself as a competitive applicant given my high GPA in "easy courses" from an "okay" university, and my "average" standardized test taking abilities, and my unique and underrepresented real estate ambitions as a entrepreneur.

Finally, I also want to note, that I want to attend MBA school to build a global network of leaders, something that I don't have coming out of my undergraduate school. I'm not going to MBA school to switch careers, or to land a McKinsey/Goldman Sachs gig. I want to go to learn and grow with a powerful network I can hold for life. I know that people often talk about how every school has a different vibe, such as quant heavy Wharton, entrepreneurial MIT....etc. I want to go someplace that's focused on attracting a very diverse crowd of people both racially, career backgrounds, geography..etc.

I appreciate your advice, I know I'm not the typically forum poster, who is in the midst of applications. I am many years away, however when I do apply to MBA school I want to feel like I made the right decisions in my career, so that I don't have to find application strategies to cover up my career mistakes after the fact.

Thanks. Anyoneelse who is also knowledgeable also feel free to comment.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
seniors in college...advice needed as a future applicant   [#permalink] 16 Feb 2009, 13:06

seniors in college...advice needed as a future applicant

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap