Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 22:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sentence completion How to improve?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

Sentence completion How to improve? [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2006, 18:37
hi, Ive done the manhattan sc, all of og10/11 for sc, and much of the sc1000. I feel like i know it well however, i feel that the scs on the actual exam are tricker. Anyone else feel that they are solid but just can't perform?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2006, 21:09
I've been hitting the books for over three months now (Kaplan, PR, OG, SC1000). I just get so intimidated by SCs I've never encountered before. Going through the SC1000, I seem to have around a 70-80% hit rate for new SCs which probably means I'll be doing around that level unless I pull it up...

You should see my SC error log, it's pretty pathetic.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2006, 21:29
i finally got my hit ratio from 70 to 80.. after manhattan sc...

but apart from that yes.. i also feel intimidated by sc.. did PR, kaplan, OG, and now manhattan.. dont know how to further improve it!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2006, 09:46
I would get a grammar reference guide. I have PR's Grammar Smart, which has a good review, and sometimes I rely on my Associated Press Stylebook (was a journalism major!) for some things, although that's not for true English grammar. But the PR book is quite handy, and having a solid grasp of grammar is the key to the SC subtleties.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2006, 10:58
Even I use PR's smart grammar. Along with it i have Arco's small Business english usage guide. Its a very small and handy book and effective too! you might want to have a look at it.
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2006, 17:43
PR's grammar smart is indeed very useful. It is very important to identify the errors in the original sentence ( if there are any..provided the answer choice isn't A ) and then look at the answer choices. This leads to quick elimination and one can identify the splits easliy.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2006, 18:34
which would you say is better grammar smart or manhattan sc?

would it be worth my time going over grammar smart if i have already done manhattan sc? much overlap? thanks!
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2006, 19:15
I used both. I finished the PR grammar smart over a period of one week..spending around one hour a day. I didn't revisit the book often but highlighted topics that I felt supplemented MGMAT SC. I would suggest that focus more on the OG problems...rotate them repeatedly, each time eliminating all wrong answer choices and reading the OE.

Some of the 1000 SC problems are vague...use them for timing practice, don't worry about the hit rate. I always made 3-4 mistakes in a set of 25.

joemama142000 wrote:
which would you say is better grammar smart or manhattan sc?

would it be worth my time going over grammar smart if i have already done manhattan sc? much overlap? thanks!
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2006, 19:46
thanks lhotseface :cool
  [#permalink] 09 Apr 2006, 19:46