Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:48 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [38]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 715 [4]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [2]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 665 [4]
Given Kudos: 258
MISSION : 800
WE:Design (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Twice a year, northern elephant seals swim to migrate from Southern Ca [#permalink]
Kudos
It's b/w "D" & "E"

Q>> Twice a year, northern elephant seals swim to migrate from Southern California to the North Pacific, some of which regularly dive to depths of over 1,000 feet in search of food.

D.swim to migrate from Southern California to the North Pacific, and some of them

>This mean the seals swim twice a year, whilst the intended meaning is that the seals migrate twice by swimming

E.migrate, swimming from Southern California to the North Pacific, and some of them

> this choice says that the seals migrate twice in a year , swimming - ing modifier
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [0]
Given Kudos: 207
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q163 V154
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Twice a year, northern elephant seals swim to migrate from Southern Ca [#permalink]
Need clarification on why "swim to migrate" is wrong.
I read it this way:
Twice a year, northern elephant seals swim Why?
Twice a year, northern elephant seals swim to migrate where?
Twice a year, northern elephant seals swim to migrate from Southern California to the North Pacific

To join this with another clause, I used "And" as in option D: "..... and some of them".

What do seals do twice a year? They "swim to migrate". How can we say that twice a year seals just "swim" and not migrate if we are using "swim to migrate" in the clause?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 794
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.15
Send PM
mikemcgarry or any other expert - Can you please explain exactly why B is incorrect?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Send PM
darn wrote:
mikemcgarry or any other expert - Can you please explain exactly why B is incorrect?

Dear Darn,

Abhishek009 has already explained why option B is incorrect.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 319
Send PM
Kudos
I got the right answer and went with E, but i want to make sure my reasoning is correct. Since "whom" is a relative pronoun i would much rather like to use it next to noun its referencing rather than as object for prepositional phrase, on the other hand "them" can be used with a problem.
Any comments on this.

B.migrate, swimming from Southern California to the North Pacific; some of whom
E.migrate, swimming from Southern California to the North Pacific, and some of them
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
MadaraU wrote:
I got the right answer and went with E, but i want to make sure my reasoning is correct. Since "whom" is a relative pronoun i would much rather like to use it next to noun its referencing rather than as object for prepositional phrase, on the other hand "them" can be used with a problem.
Any comments on this.

i think the difference between two sentences are the semi-colon and commas. Whom and them both can be correctly used.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 577 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
Send PM
A swim to migrate is wrong...some of which (antecedent issue)
B some of whom (no people here)
C whom (antecedent- people)
D swim to migrate and the missing

E looks good

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Shree9975 wrote:
Twice a year, northern elephant seals swim to migrate from Southern California to the North Pacific, some of which regularly dive to depths of over 1,000 feet in search of food.
A.swim to migrate from Southern California to the North Pacific, some of which
C.migrate from Southern California to the North Pacific by swimming, some of whom
D.swim to migrate from Southern California to the North Pacific, and some of them

'whom' can only refer to people. B,C are out.
A - 'which' referring to seals is also weird + 'swim to migrate' -> this says that the seals only purpose to swim is migration, and they won't swim otherwise. OUT
D - Similar meaning problem to A. OUT
E - Correct answer ; Verb-ing modifier correctly describes how the seals migrate. And 'them' correctly refers back to 'seals'
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5734 [0]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Expert Reply
Luckisnoexcuse akshayk Abhishek009

Be careful with blanket statements about 'whom'. An animial CAN be referred to as whom, in the right context. Whom can modify more than people.
https://www.sjsu.edu/writingcenter/docs/ ... _Which.pdf
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.99
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
nightblade354 wrote:
Luckisnoexcuse akshayk Abhishek009

Be careful with blanket statements about 'whom'. An animial CAN be referred to as whom, in the right context. Whom can modify more than people.
https://www.sjsu.edu/writingcenter/docs/ ... _Which.pdf

nightblade354 : If whom can be used for animals, than what is the issue with option B? Why it is incorrect?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
can any expert explain why option B is incorrect and E is correct.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Official explanation:
Here, "swim to migrate" may sound awkward. This phrasing implies that the seals don't normally swim but only swim twice a year on their migration. A more logical phrasing would be that the "seals migrate by swimming." Then a grammar rule is violated with the pronoun "which" at the end of the underlined portion. A pronoun must unambiguously refer to one particular noun. Here, "some of which" could be referring to some of the elephant seals that regularly dive to great depths or to the North Pacific. The correct answer will fix the pronoun error and express the intended idea clearly.

Scan and Group the Answer Choices:

A vertical scan of the first words in the choices reveals a 3-2 split between "migrate" in (B), (C), and (E) and "swim to migrate" in (A) and (D). There is also a 2-2-1 split in the final words of the choices, between "some of whom" in (B) and (C), "some of them" in (D) and (E), and "some of which" in (A).

Eliminate Wrong Answer Choices:

"Swim to migrate" is the awkward construction noticed in the initial reading of the sentence, so eliminate (A) and (D). Alternatively, you might start by eliminating (B) and (C), which use "whom" to refer to elephant seals. On the GMAT, "whom" may not refer to animals, only people.

That leaves (E), which is correct because it subordinates the swimming to the main action of migrating and replaces "some of which" with the clearer "and some of them." The sentence now starts a new clause in which the plural "them" clearly refers to the subject of the first clause, the seals.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
Send PM
Hi egmat VeritasKarishma
I would be glad if you can help me please.

For option D to be wrong, only reasoning is given that it sounds like seals don't swim otherwise and only do so when they migrate.
I would say yes, they are elephant seals, I don't know if they swim otherwise, this is external information and I am not aware of it.

How can we reject a perfectly okay gramer sentence that doesn't distort the meaning of original sentence based on external knowledge reference.

Is there anything else wrong with D that I cannot spot.

Please help

Posted from my mobile device
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64888 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Harshdeepgajra wrote:
Hi egmat VeritasKarishma
I would be glad if you can help me please.

For option D to be wrong, only reasoning is given that it sounds like seals don't swim otherwise and only do so when they migrate.
I would say yes, they are elephant seals, I don't know if they swim otherwise, this is external information and I am not aware of it.

How can we reject a perfectly okay gramer sentence that doesn't distort the meaning of original sentence based on external knowledge reference.

Is there anything else wrong with D that I cannot spot.

Please help

Posted from my mobile device

"swim to migrate" is bad phrasing. They don't swim with the conscious intention to migrate from A to B. They migrate by swimming from A to B.
That is what the sentence is trying to convey.

Option (E) makes sense:
The seals migrate.
Modifier - 'swimming from A to B' - shows how they migrate
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
Send PM
OA from Kaplan -

Here, "swim to migrate" may sound awkward. This phrasing implies that the seals don't normally swim but only swim twice a year on their migration. A more logical phrasing would be that the "seals migrate by swimming." Then a grammar rule is violated with the pronoun "which" at the end of the underlined portion. A pronoun must unambiguously refer to one particular noun. Here, "some of which" could be referring to some of the elephant seals that regularly dive to great depths or to the North Pacific. The correct answer will fix the pronoun error and express the intended idea clearly.

Scan and Group the Answer Choices:

A vertical scan of the first words in the choices reveals a 3-2 split between "migrate" in (B), (C), and (E) and "swim to migrate" in (A) and (D). There is also a 2-2-1 split in the final words of the choices, between "some of whom" in (B) and (C), "some of them" in (D) and (E), and "some of which" in (A).

Eliminate Wrong Answer Choices:

"Swim to migrate" is the awkward construction noticed in the initial reading of the sentence, so eliminate (A) and (D). Alternatively, you might start by eliminating (B) and (C), which use "whom" to refer to elephant seals. On the GMAT, "whom" may not refer to animals, only people.

That leaves (E), which is correct because it subordinates the swimming to the main action of migrating and replaces "some of which" with the clearer "and some of them." The sentence now starts a new clause in which the plural "them" clearly refers to the subject of the first clause, the seals.

TAKEAWAY: It can be dangerous to pick an answer because it "sounds good," because the GMAT knows the kinds of wordings that sound good in real life but are grammatically incorrect. However, it is less dangerous to eliminate choices because they are awkward or place the sentence's emphasis on the wrong thing.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts