Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 14:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

sentence correction +700 level

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 93 [3] , given: 10

GMAT Tests User
sentence correction +700 level [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 10:45
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

68% (01:43) correct 32% (00:45) wrong based on 127 sessions
Try this question ... it will be very good for your health ... :lol:

The regents of the University of California system have recently acted on plans to add two new universities, which increases to ten the number of U.C. schools.

(A) universities, which increases to ten the number
(B) universities which increase the number to ten
(C) universities, increasing to ten the number
(D) universities, a plan which will have increased to ten the number
(E) universities to increase to ten the number

[Reveal] Spoiler:
C
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Check this link

http://www.rupeemail.com/rupeemail/invite.do?in=NzYxOTkxJSMlRzF0NGJKQnllT1kzVmRmbTVBb2tLZ1Q4RA==

http://www.rupeemail.com/rupeemail/pages/rupeemail/images/joinImage.gif

1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 93

Kudos [?]: 204 [1] , given: 20

Re: sentence correction +700 level [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 11:19
This post received
KUDOS
I've seen this exact same setup before just with different subject-matter/context, so I'd presume that this is a replica of an official question from one of the Official Guides.

I'll let everyone try their hand at it before I throw down the correct answer, but let me give one pretty strong hint: they're testing the concept of the relative pronoun modifier "which". The word "which", when used to begin a modifier, must accurately replace/describe the word immediately adjacent to it, and if that's not the case you can eliminate that answer choice.

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 258 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: sentence correction +700 level [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 11:33
+1 C 8-)

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: sentence correction +700 level [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 20:54
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
I've seen this exact same setup before just with different subject-matter/context, so I'd presume that this is a replica of an official question from one of the Official Guides.

I'll let everyone try their hand at it before I throw down the correct answer, but let me give one pretty strong hint: they're testing the concept of the relative pronoun modifier "which". The word "which", when used to begin a modifier, must accurately replace/describe the word immediately adjacent to it, and if that's not the case you can eliminate that answer choice.

Brian ...you are right about "WHICH" modifier, .. but thats relatively an easy task... most difficult is to choose between C and E

Check this link

http://www.rupeemail.com/rupeemail/invite.do?in=NzYxOTkxJSMlRzF0NGJKQnllT1kzVmRmbTVBb2tLZ1Q4RA==

http://www.rupeemail.com/rupeemail/pages/rupeemail/images/joinImage.gif

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE: Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: sentence correction +700 level [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 21:54
Had it down to C and E because of which, since it refers to University of California System and not Universities.

Picked C because present continuous sounded best.

vyassaptarashi wrote:
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:

Brian ...you are right about "WHICH" modifier, .. but thats relatively an easy task... most difficult is to choose between C and E
Intern
Intern
Schools: Rotman,LSB
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: sentence correction +700 level [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 22:55
The regents of the University of California system have recently acted on plans to add two new universities, which increases to ten the number of U.C. schools.

(A) universities, which increases to ten the number - which is modifying universities but that is not causing the increase
(B) universities which increase the number to ten - same as above A
(C) universities, increasing to ten the number - this is followed from cause and effect rule with 'ing' form is used to express effect after cause and correct option(D) universities, a plan which will have increased to ten the number - run on sentence
(E) universities to increase to ten the number - need to use cause and effect rule to use 'ing'form but not infinitive
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UC Berkley, UCLA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 66

Re: sentence correction +700 level [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 07:11
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:

This is a very helpful post, Thanks! But what about the relative pronoun that. How should it be used? And if the sentence were constructed like this - ...., a plan that increases to ten the number... - Would the construction be correct?

Thank you for your kudoses Everyone!!!

"It always seems impossible until its done."
-Nelson Mandela

Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 75176

Re: sentence correction +700 level [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 09:47
vyassaptarashi wrote:
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:

This is true. These were my last 2 choices. But since E modifies the meaning of the sentence, I chose C.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: sentence correction +700 level [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 10:48
IMO...its C.

A . As Brian has mentioned , "Which" here refers to "universities" and universities does not increase to ten , its the plan which increases it.

B. Same reason as A , although they have modified "increases" to "increase".

C. Here , the participial phrase "increasing to ten the number" is modifying the first sentence . Specifying the consequence of the plan.

D. I first fell for this option . But cudn't find any strong reason to discard it as well.

E. This option suggests that the purpose of the plan was to increase the number of schools to ten which is not really the case here.
1 KUDOS received

Re: sentence correction +700 level [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 14:18
This post received
KUDOS
Great explanation, Raths - E does change the meaning to make it look like the intent of the regents was to simply increase the number, so C is the correct choice.

Great work here, everyone - and, yes, I know I ducked out for a little bit...the teacher in me is reluctant to just dive in with the correct answer right away sometimes...I like seeing the debate among the group on questions like these!

Brian

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: sentence correction +700 level [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2010, 20:33
+c - ING Modifier require cause it modifying Clause.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: sentence correction +700 level [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2010, 18:07
Thanks for the 'which' tip brian!

Go Blue!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 23

Re: sentence correction +700 level [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2010, 18:37
Its 'C'

We can eliminate A / B due to 'Which' . As per grammar 'which' should modify 'Universities' as it is placed next to it. But the clause is modifying the 'Plan'.

Kudos if any of my post helps you !!!

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: sentence correction +700 level [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2011, 03:58
vyassaptarashi wrote:
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:

is that MOST difficult task :D , i think it is fairly easy to pick C as the answer, E has an altered meaning because of the usage of 'to....'

is this a 700 level q ?

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: sentence correction +700 level [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2011, 05:48
Brian
Reopening the pandora box.
D looks like the resumptive modifier setup. How did you avoid the trap? I fell for it.

VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Great explanation, Raths - E does change the meaning to make it look like the intent of the regents was to simply increase the number, so C is the correct choice.

Great work here, everyone - and, yes, I know I ducked out for a little bit...the teacher in me is reluctant to just dive in with the correct answer right away sometimes...I like seeing the debate among the group on questions like these!
1 KUDOS received

Re: sentence correction +700 level [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2011, 09:05
This post received
KUDOS
Hey gmat1220,

Even if that modifier in D is okay (and just knowing the GMAT I'd pick the more-clear modifier from C every time if that were my last decision point), the verb tense in choice D doesn't work.

The only time you'd really get away with using that combination of tense ("will have increased...") is if you're clearly putting a time limit in there to mark that point in the future at which you're using the past progressive. So you could say:

By the time the new laws take place, the amount of pollution will have already doubled.

But you can't say:

The new law ensures that the amount of pollution will have doubled.

So in the case of D, without that designated future point at which we use the past progressive ("have increased"), the verb tense doesn't work.

Brian

Veritas Prep Reviews

Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: sentence correction +700 level [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2011, 09:33
Thanks !!! I got it.

Brian,
"a plan....." is next to "universities". Hence we need "ing" modifier to modify the previous clause. Am I correct?

thanks
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Hey gmat1220,

Even if that modifier in D is okay (and just knowing the GMAT I'd pick the more-clear modifier from C every time if that were my last decision point), the verb tense in choice D doesn't work.

The only time you'd really get away with using that combination of tense ("will have increased...") is if you're clearly putting a time limit in there to mark that point in the future at which you're using the past progressive. So you could say:

By the time the new laws take place, the amount of pollution will have already doubled.

But you can't say:

The new law ensures that the amount of pollution will have doubled.

So in the case of D, without that designated future point at which we use the past progressive ("have increased"), the verb tense doesn't work.
Director
Director
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: sentence correction +700 level [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2011, 13:43
problem in pronoun reference.

I am student of everyone-baten
Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 20

Re: sentence correction +700 level [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2011, 16:11
Hey gmat1220 - you know, I don't want to guarantee that we NEED that -ing modifier, but:

-As Baten80 mentioned, the singular modifier "a plan" doesn't really work with "acted on plans (plural)"
-The -ing modifier is definitely correct in this case, as it modifies the entire preceding clause and isn't limited just to the word or phrase immediately adjacent to the comma. Because of that, I mentioned before that I'd tend toward that modifier if I were at all unclear about the validity of the "resumptive modifier" you mentioned and whether it would apply.

So it's not that the situation can only call for exactly one type of modifier...I just know that the modifier in C is clearly allowable, and that D introduces a few doubts (at best) and contains a fatal verb tense flaw. And since one fatal flaw dooms an answer, and I found one in D and can't find any in C, there are a few reasons to make that choice.

I hope that helps - I'd be careful about limiting yourself to exactly one type of phrasing that you think you NEED...Sentence Correction is much more about eliminating flaws.

Brian

Veritas Prep Reviews

VP
VP
Followers: 207

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: sentence correction +700 level [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2014, 23:22
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: sentence correction +700 level   [#permalink] 16 Jul 2014, 23:22