Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:11 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 344 [20]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2946 [5]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 344 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE:Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Re: The regents of the University of California system have recently [#permalink]
Had it down to C and E because of which, since it refers to University of California System and not Universities.

Picked C because present continuous sounded best.

vyassaptarashi wrote:
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
I've seen this exact same setup before just with different subject-matter/context, so I'd presume that this is a replica of an official question from one of the Official Guides.

I'll let everyone try their hand at it before I throw down the correct answer, but let me give one pretty strong hint: they're testing the concept of the relative pronoun modifier "which". The word "which", when used to begin a modifier, must accurately replace/describe the word immediately adjacent to it, and if that's not the case you can eliminate that answer choice.

Brian ...you are right about "WHICH" modifier, .. but thats relatively an easy task... most difficult is to choose between C and E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Rotman,LSB
Send PM
Re: The regents of the University of California system have recently [#permalink]
The regents of the University of California system have recently acted on plans to add two new universities, which increases to ten the number of U.C. schools.

(A) universities, which increases to ten the number - which is modifying universities but that is not causing the increase
(B) universities which increase the number to ten - same as above A
(C) universities, increasing to ten the number - this is followed from cause and effect rule with 'ing' form is used to express effect after cause and correct option(D) universities, a plan which will have increased to ten the number - run on sentence
(E) universities to increase to ten the number - need to use cause and effect rule to use 'ing'form but not infinitive
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 266 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Schools:UC Berkley, UCLA
GMAT 2: 540 GMAT 3: 530
Send PM
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
I've seen this exact same setup before just with different subject-matter/context, so I'd presume that this is a replica of an official question from one of the Official Guides.

I'll let everyone try their hand at it before I throw down the correct answer, but let me give one pretty strong hint: they're testing the concept of the relative pronoun modifier "which". The word "which", when used to begin a modifier, must accurately replace/describe the word immediately adjacent to it, and if that's not the case you can eliminate that answer choice.

This is a very helpful post, Thanks! But what about the relative pronoun that. How should it be used? And if the sentence were constructed like this - ...., a plan that increases to ten the number... - Would the construction be correct?
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
vyassaptarashi wrote:
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:

Brian ...you are right about "WHICH" modifier, .. but thats relatively an easy task... most difficult is to choose between C and E

This is true. These were my last 2 choices. But since E modifies the meaning of the sentence, I chose C.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 228 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Kudos
IMO...its C.

A . As Brian has mentioned , "Which" here refers to "universities" and universities does not increase to ten , its the plan which increases it.

B. Same reason as A , although they have modified "increases" to "increase".

C. Here , the participial phrase "increasing to ten the number" is modifying the first sentence . Specifying the consequence of the plan.

D. I first fell for this option . But cudn't find any strong reason to discard it as well.

E. This option suggests that the purpose of the plan was to increase the number of schools to ten which is not really the case here.
Own Kudos [?]: 2946 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Great explanation, Raths - E does change the meaning to make it look like the intent of the regents was to simply increase the number, so C is the correct choice.

Great work here, everyone - and, yes, I know I ducked out for a little bit...the teacher in me is reluctant to just dive in with the correct answer right away sometimes...I like seeing the debate among the group on questions like these!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Its 'C'

We can eliminate A / B due to 'Which' . As per grammar 'which' should modify 'Universities' as it is placed next to it. But the clause is modifying the 'Plan'.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1332 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
vyassaptarashi wrote:
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:

is that MOST difficult task :D , i think it is fairly easy to pick C as the answer, E has an altered meaning because of the usage of 'to....'

is this a 700 level q ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 892 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Brian
Reopening the pandora box.
D looks like the resumptive modifier setup. How did you avoid the trap? I fell for it.

VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Great explanation, Raths - E does change the meaning to make it look like the intent of the regents was to simply increase the number, so C is the correct choice.

Great work here, everyone - and, yes, I know I ducked out for a little bit...the teacher in me is reluctant to just dive in with the correct answer right away sometimes...I like seeing the debate among the group on questions like these!
Own Kudos [?]: 2946 [4]
Send PM
Kudos