Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 02:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sentence correction a nightmare....Please help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-27-2013
GPA: 3.04
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 64

Sentence correction a nightmare....Please help [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 01:39
Hi Guys,

I am in preparation phase of GMAT verbal. The success rate of sentence correction is just between 20-30% in diagnostic tests and other small tests that I take.. When I review the answers, I do understand the concept and the concepts looks familiar. Even, I am able to identify the mistakes while review. But, while doing the questions, I am not able to get the correct answer.

Preparation:

1) Went through MGMAT SC material twice.
2) Rubbed basics of English Grammar using gmatclub grammar book.

Can anyone please help how to increase my success rate in SC.

Advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1157

Kudos [?]: 5381 [1] , given: 165

Re: Sentence correction a nightmare....Please help [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 21:27
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ganesamurthy wrote:
Hi Guys,

I am in preparation phase of GMAT verbal. The success rate of sentence correction is just between 20-30% in diagnostic tests and other small tests that I take.. When I review the answers, I do understand the concept and the concepts looks familiar. Even, I am able to identify the mistakes while review. But, while doing the questions, I am not able to get the correct answer.

Preparation:

1) Went through MGMAT SC material twice.
2) Rubbed basics of English Grammar using gmatclub grammar book.

Can anyone please help how to increase my success rate in SC.

Advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

GMAT SC does have its foundations in grammar but if you are comfortable with basics such as tenses, subject verb agreement etc, you need to focus on logic and meaning. The options may be grammatically correct but they may not make any sense. We tend to overlook these errors because we assume the meaning e.g.

I will try and finish it today - Illogical

I will try to finish it today - Logical

Though a 20-30% success rate implies that there are more problems than the meaning issue. Review your sentence correction questions and find out the topics where you end up tripping again and again - say parallelism, pronoun antecedent, tenses etc Read up on them from your high school grammar book and then come back to GMAT questions. Then start looking for logical errors and you will certainly see improvement.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Sentence correction a nightmare....Please help   [#permalink] 13 Aug 2013, 21:27