Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 10:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sentence Correction and Critical Reasoning Mental Block

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Sentence Correction and Critical Reasoning Mental Block [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2005, 08:34
I really do not understand what happened. These used to be my strengths but now they are my weaknesses. I used to have a very good intuitive feel for both and somewhere in my months of studying I lost it :evil: Now I want to stop relying on intuition and rely on good-old fashioned knowledge and I need some help.

1) Can any one suggest a good grammar book that I could study that would help me out with SC? Mind you I have to take the test on Feb 19 so something that I can read and learn quickly.

2) Is there anything I can do about CR? I especially have problems with the bold face questions. Has anyone else had these problems (I know some people have with SC but I haven't seen it with CR) and if so what have you done about it?

I would really appreciate some help. I have already took some time away from GMAT prep and now I'm back so it's not an issue of just stepping away, I think this is a legitamate problem. Any help with be greatly appreciated!!!

"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2005, 16:21
SC:
I am a non-native speaker of English, but I think I improved a lot in SC with practice once I figured out the patterns that are being tested. But I got some ways to go ...

CR:
I do have the same problem as you do when dealing with bold faces. The first time I encountered them, I panicked. Having had more experience with bold faces in the past month or so, I don't panick anymore when I see bold faces but I still take a long time to solve them and get only about 60% correct. Sometimes, I am not even convinced after seeing the answer. This means only one thing to me - I still don't understand the concepts that BFs tests.

Remedy:
I am planning to collect as many Bold faces as I can and spend a whole day solving and analyzing them. I am hoping this will help me understand the concepts such as premise, evidence, conclusion, goal, intention etc, more clearly so that I get a better hit rate on the BFs. Will see ...

Good luck to you!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2005, 10:54
I have exactly the same problem...i considered myself to be okay on the SC and CR but somehow over the past few weeks, i seem to be losing it...i am still not sure what happened but now i try to give more time to these questions then usual....my G day is just a couple of days away and hence i am just trying to rebuild my confidence on such questions...keeping my fingers crossed :(
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 153 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2005, 21:53
Keep practising. You'll find in GMAT that only certain grammatical rules are tested. If you understand them, and put them into practice (by working on lots of questions, and understanding the solution for the questions you get wrong), you'll find yourself slowly improving. I was like that once too, couldn't get past 10 SC without making 5 mistakes. Now I'm getting a little better, about 8 SCs right for every 10 I work on. You might want to invest in the Kaplan Verbal Workbook. It will get you up to date on the grammar rules very quickly, and has a cool idioms list at the end. Another book I used was the princeton grammar smart (got that from the library) and another was some webster grammar book (nicked that from the library too). And if you're commuting and feel you're wasting time, you can plug into some audio grammar tapes and learn while you're travelling !
  [#permalink] 14 Apr 2005, 21:53