Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:43 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Comparisonsx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 555 [185]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [43]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 341 [25]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: International Business
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29902 [19]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Re: In addition to having more protein than wheat does, the protein in ric [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
kaushik04 wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 10th Edition, 2003

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 19
Page: 656

In addition to having more protein than wheat does, the protein in rice is higher quality than that in wheat, with more of the amino acids essential to the human diet.

(A) the protein in rice is higher quality than that in

(B) rice has protein of higher quality than that in

(C) the protein in rice is higher in quality than it is in

(D) rice protein is higher in quality than it is in

(E) rice has a protein higher in quality than

The first part of this sentence sets up a comparison.

When we get to the comma, we should STOP and ask the question that the introduction raises.

So, once we read, In addition to having more protein than wheat does, we should stop and ask . . .

"Who or what has more protein than wheat does?"

If the sentence is properly constructed, the part that immediately follows the comma will answer that question in a logical manner.

Reading on we get...

A) the protein in rice...
What? The protein (in rice) has more protein that wheat does?
Makes no sense.
ELIMINATE A

B) rice ....
So rice has more protein that wheat does.
This makes sense.
KEEP B

C) the protein in rice...
The protein (in rice) has more protein that wheat does?
Makes no sense.
ELIMINATE C

D) rice protein...
Rice protein has more protein that wheat does?
Makes no sense.
ELIMINATE D

E) rice ....
So rice has more protein that wheat does.
This makes sense.
KEEP E

We're down to B and E
B) rice has protein of higher quality than that in
The word that properly serves as a placeholder for protein
In other words, rice has protein of higher quality than the protein in wheat...
PERFECT!

E) rice has a protein higher in quality than wheat
This is a faulty comparison
It suggests that rice PROTEIN is better than WHEAT.
The intended meaning is that rice PROTEIN is better than wheat PROTEIN.
ELIMINATE E

Answer: B

Cheers,
Brent
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [4]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: In addition to having more protein than wheat does, the protein in ric [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
kaushik04 wrote:
In addition to having more protein than wheat does, the protein in rice is higher quality than that in wheat, with more of the amino acids essential to the human diet.

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to getting this question correct; the intended core meaning of this sentence is that the protein found in rice is higher in quantity as well as quality than the protein found in wheat is.

Concepts tested here: Comparison + Meaning

• Comparison must always be made between similar elements.

A: This answer choice incorrectly compares “the protein in rice to “wheat", illogically implying that the protein in rice has more protein than wheat does; the intended meaning is that the protein found in rice is higher in quantity than the protein found in wheat is; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar elements.

B: Correct. This answer choice correctly compares "rice" with "wheat", conveying the intended meaning - that the protein in rice is higher in quantity than the protein in wheat is. Further, Option B uses the phrase "than that in", conveying the intended meaning - that the protein in rice is higher in quality than the protein in wheat is.

C: This answer choice incorrectly compares “the protein in rice" to “wheat", illogically implying that the protein in rice has more protein than wheat does; the intended meaning is that the protein found in rice is higher in quantity than the protein found in wheat is; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar elements. Moreover, Option C further alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "than it is in"; the construction of this phrase illogically implies that the protein in rice is higher in quality than the same protein is when it is in wheat; the intended meaning is that the protein in rice is higher in quality than the protein in wheat is.

D: This answer choice incorrectly compares “rice protein" to “wheat", illogically implying that the protein in rice has more protein than wheat does; the intended meaning is that the protein found in rice is higher in quantity than the protein found in wheat is; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar elements. Moreover, Option D further alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "than it is in"; the construction of this phrase illogically implies that the protein in rice is higher in quality than the same protein is when it is in wheat; the intended meaning is that the protein in rice is higher in quality than the protein in wheat is.

E: Trap. This answer choice incorrectly compares "a protein" to "wheat", illogically implying that a particular protein found in rice is higher in quality than wheat as a whole is; the intended meaning is the specific protein found in rice is higher in quality than the specific protein found in wheat is; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar elements.

Hence, B is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7625 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Two things to keep in mind are:
a) What is the opening phrase modifying?
b) What are the two things being compared?

The answer to the first question can help us eliminate at least 2 answer choices in this question.

The subject here is ‘rice,’ and it should come immediately after the comma.

We can eliminate the following options for having the wrong subject:

Option Athe protein
Option C the protein
Option Drice protein

Between Options B and E, it is not a struggle to decide.

Here is why: E says ‘a protein’ which is incorrect.

Eliminate Option E.

Option B is the best choice.

Hope this helps!
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: FINANce!!!!!..:))))))))
Schools:Wharton..:)
 Q47  V41
GPA: 3.5 +
Send PM
Kudos
This is a standard GMAT question -
In addition to having more protein -than wheat does, the protein in rice is higher quality than that in wheat,with more of the amino acids essential to the human diet.

comparison is b/w WHEAT and the thing in red!

so eliminate- A,C,D because RICE has to be compared with Wheat not the PROTEIN OR RICE PROTEIN!

B/W B AND E

eliminate E because -"rice has a protein higher in quality than wheat
incorrect comparison ..!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Bookmarks
nehasingh1020 wrote:
Hi,

Do you have any idea which one is correct?

In addition to having more protein -than wheat does, the protein in rice is higher quality than that in wheat,with more of the amino acids essential to the human diet.

Thanks
Neha Singh
https://www.general-ed.com/

Here's how to do this in < 30 seconds

Step 1) On basis of Apples Vs Oranges framework, note you are comparing "wheat" with whatever is after the comma.
The only two that make sense is (B) and (E) - because they each mention RICE as the subject.

Step 2) For (E) - "rice has a protein higher in quality than wheat" - it's missing "does" at the end.

Only (B) - " rice has protein of higher quality than that in wheat" makes sense.

You are comparing the protein of rice vs that [the protein] in wheat.

Make sure you are comparing apples to apples.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4890 [1]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
stunn3r wrote:
In addition to having more protein than wheat does, the protein in rice is higher quality than that in wheat,with more of the amino acids essential to the human diet.

This part is an initial modifier

In addition to having more protein than wheat does, ---- it refers to the next noun.
If you put the word "protein" right after it, you are saying that "the protein [in addition to having more protein than wheat does]" <--this is not correct : it's logically flawed.

Who/what has more protein than wheat ? the rice. Hence the word rice should follow that modifier.

Hope it's clear
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Hi Experts, can you please explain why E is wrong - To me it seems like rice has a protein higher in qality than wheat has. What is wrong.
Also, in B - I dont think its correct. rice has proein of higher quality than THAT - what THAT refers to.?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
rakaisraka wrote:
Hi Experts, can you please explain why E is wrong - To me it seems like rice has a protein higher in qality than wheat has. What is wrong.
Also, in B - I dont think its correct. rice has proein of higher quality than THAT - what THAT refers to.?

Both your questions are in fact related: The comparison must between the protein in rice and the protein in wheat.

In B, the pronoun "that" is used to refer to protein (creating a new copy of the antecedent - a typical use of "that": see below*).

In E, the comparison is between protein (in rice) and wheat. (If the word "has" were there, the comparison would be alright. But without "has", the comparison becomes problematic.)

(*Use of "that" to create new copy: The car I have is bigger than that you have.)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [0]
Given Kudos: 317
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
adkikani wrote:
Hi Experts,
Although I selected B as OA, can you tell me what's wrong with E.
I guess this Q is testing comparison. So basically protein level in wheat and rice are being compared. Based on this, A,C, D are out. what is difference between verbose of B and E?
WR, Arpit

Hi adkikani
E is comparing Protein with Wheat. Here's the comparison,
rice has a protein higher in quality than Wheat .
Hence, its an incorrect comparison.

With the insertion of "that" as in B, the comparison becomes correct,
rice has protein of higher quality than that[=protein] in wheat.

Also note that, in most cases, there will be more than one split. In E, "a protein" is also incorrect. Another reason to eliminate E.

Cheers !! :-D
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Dear Brent,

If there were not any introductory modifier (In addition to having more protein than wheat does), does the comparison in choice A correct?

Thanks in advance for your help
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mo2men wrote:
Dear Brent,

If there were not any introductory modifier (In addition to having more protein than wheat does), does the comparison in choice A correct?

Thanks in advance for your help
The comparison itself would be correct, but "is of higher quality" sounds better than "is higher quality".
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
adkikani wrote:
Hi Experts,
I guess this Q is testing comparison. So basically protein level in wheat and rice are being compared. Based on this, A,C, D are out. what is difference between verbose of B and E?
WR, Arpit

godot53 wrote:
adkikani wrote:
Hi Experts,
WR, Arpit

Hi adkikani
E is comparing Protein with Wheat. Here's the comparison,
rice has a protein higher in quality than Wheat .
Hence, its an incorrect comparison.

With the insertion of "that" as in B, the comparison becomes correct,
rice has protein of higher quality than that[=protein] in wheat.

Also note that, in most cases, there will be more than one split. In E, "a protein" is also incorrect. Another reason to eliminate E.

Cheers !! :-D

Thank you for your effort to explain the comparison issue - but the explanation has a bit of flaw - be cautious of the following trap:
It is acceptable to omit repeated words from the second element of a parallel structure, IF the meaning is not obscured.
I like chocolates more than Madhu. ...... Wrong - ambiguous
The above sentence may have 2 meanings:
1. I like chocolates. Madhu likes chocolates. But I like chocolates more than Madhu does.
2. I like chocolates. I like Madhu. But I like chocolates more than I like Madhu.

So here the omission is NOT allowed. The correct sentence would be:
EITHER
I like chocolates more than Madhu does.
OR
I like chocolates more than I like Madhu.

Now compare with the following:
Rice has more protein than wheat.... correct - not ambiguous
The above sentence CANNOT have 2 meanings as before:
1. Rice has proteins. Wheat has proteins. But rice has more proteins than wheat does... OK.
2. Rice has proteins. Rice has wheat. But rice has more proteins than rice has wheat.. this usage does not make sense.

Hence out of the possible two meanings:
1. Rice has more proteins than wheat (does).
2. Rice has more proteins than (rice has) wheat.
, the second one does not make sense. Hence in this case omission is acceptable.

Thus the only reason that one can eliminate E is the usage of "a protein". You cannot really eliminate E on the basis of parallelism.

1. As stated by sayantanc2k in the above post, so there is no meaning ambiguity in option E? So, we can't eliminate E on the basis of parallelism?
2. the only reason that one can eliminate E is the usage of "a protein"?

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyTargetTestPrep , DmitryFarber , VeritasKarishma , generis , jennpt , other experts - please enlighten
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64894 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Skywalker18 wrote:
Thus the only reason that one can eliminate E is the usage of "a protein". You cannot really eliminate E on the basis of parallelism.

1. As stated by sayantanc2k in the above post, so there is no meaning ambiguity in option E? So, we can't eliminate E on the basis of parallelism?
2. the only reason that one can eliminate E is the usage of "a protein"?

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyTargetTestPrep , DmitryFarber , VeritasKarishma , generis , jennpt , other experts - please enlighten

The comparison in (E) is ambiguous.

"... rice has a protein higher in quality than wheat,..."

We could be comparing the protein qualities of rice and wheat.
or
We could be comparing the quality of rice protein with the quality of wheat.

Both are logical comparisons.
I would not accept this option even if we did not have "a protein". We do have a much better construction in (B).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 832
Send PM
Dear GMATGuruNY AjiteshArun MartyTargetTestPrep,

Why is E. wrong?

Why isn't "does/has" understood behind "wheat"?

Rice has a protein higher in quality than wheat (does/has) is incorrect?

Also, it clearly illogical to read E. as rice has a protein higher in quality than rice has wheat
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
varotkorn wrote:
Dear GMATGuruNY AjiteshArun MartyTargetTestPrep,

Why is E. wrong?

Why isn't "does/has" understood behind "wheat"?

Rice has a protein higher in quality than wheat (does/has) is incorrect?

Also, it clearly illogical to read E. as rice has a protein higher in quality than rice has wheat
Hi varotkorn,

To address the broader issue here: while meaning is definitely tested in SC questions, we cannot say that to read something a particular way is illogical and therefore it cannot be read that way. That is just not how language (especially English) works, and it is not how GMAT verbal works. In this case, what we must ask ourselves is not whether E is possible, but whether it is the best (of the 5). That is, is there another option that is free of other errors and is less open to misinterpretation than E is?

I addressed a similar question here. The takeaway is that very few things in verbal are "absolute" ("absolute" in the sense that they will always be applied the same way in every, or almost every, possible situation).
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [6]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Kudos