Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 12:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sentence Correction Help! Going from V40 - 45

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Sentence Correction Help! Going from V40 - 45 [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2013, 11:08
I recently took the GMAT and scored a 41V. I felt least sure about the sentence correction. I'm a native speaker and have studied - but I'm finding it hard to commit the obscure rules to memory.

What do you all recommend for going from V41- 45? I've got a month before I take it again. I've looked at GMATPill and it has some interesting features - I think I could benefit from hearing someone "size up" a sentence and let me in on their strategy.

But what do you all think? Best way to conquer sentence correction?
GMAT Pill GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Princeton Review Representative
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 157 [0], given: 0

Re: Sentence Correction Help! Going from V40 - 45 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2013, 14:43
Expert's post
Woodencrawdad wrote:
I recently took the GMAT and scored a 41V. I felt least sure about the sentence correction. I'm a native speaker and have studied - but I'm finding it hard to commit the obscure rules to memory.

What do you all recommend for going from V41- 45? I've got a month before I take it again. I've looked at GMATPill and it has some interesting features - I think I could benefit from hearing someone "size up" a sentence and let me in on their strategy.

But what do you all think? Best way to conquer sentence correction?

The best way to conquer sentence correction is one error at a time. The GMAT tests the same errors over and over throughout the exam and if you focus on them one at a time you will be able to conquer each one separately. Most people try to focus on each answer choice instead of each error and thus get lost in a jungle of multiple different error types. Instead, find the trigger words or situations that typically indicate a certain error type is in play and correct each error type one at a time.

for instance if the sentence starts with a verb there is likely a misplaced modifier error. Therefore if the sentence starts with a verb isolate the parts of the sentence that deal with misplaced modifier and decide what is being described and what needs to follow the comma. Then make decisions on every answer choice as to whether it fixes the error (do not deal with other errors at this point). Once you have eliminated all of the answers that make a similar error then move on to the next error - letting the answer choices guide you - for instance is there a pronoun in the answer choice, does it refer clearly to the appropriate thing? Is there an issue with verb tense? then deal with just the one error you find and eliminate. Continue in this manner until you have only one answer choice left.

You can also map this out by using different colored highlighters to highlight each error and the word choice that makes the answer incorrect - use a different color for each error that you find. In most sentence corrections you will find 2 - 4 errors.

Special offer! Save $250 on GMAT Ultimate Classroom, GMAT Small Group Instruction, or GMAT Liveonline when you use the promo code GCVERBAL250. Or, save $150 on GMAT Self-Prep when you use the code GCVERBAL150. Enroll at www.princetonreview.com

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Sentence Correction Help! Going from V40 - 45 [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2013, 05:34
Thanks very much. I really appreciate the reply.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 33

Re: Sentence Correction Help! Going from V40 - 45 [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2013, 10:55
Hi Woodencrawdad,

If you want to master SC, I would highly recommend trying the egmat course. I found it extremely useful especially as a non-native.

+1 Kudos if you found this useful :)

If I look absent-minded or insane, I am just living a dream of being successful. If you still wonder why I am like this, you have no idea how success tastes like!

Re: Sentence Correction Help! Going from V40 - 45   [#permalink] 23 Aug 2013, 10:55