Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 04:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sentence correction: verb tense, mood question

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Sentence correction: verb tense, mood question [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 03:51
Helen would feel better if she swallowed this pill.

Quote:

The explanation goes as follows:
Quote:
swallowed is in the present tense of the hypothetical subjunctive mood.

Can someone help about present tense of the hypothetical subjunctive mood? In the book I did not find more information about it. Also, can the correct answer be 'Helen would feel better if she swallow this pill?' Is past tense of swallow necessary?

I have other question:
Quote:
Ethan is unsure what to do tonight: his boss wants that he stay at the office, but his wife insists that he come home for dinner.

The correct answer goes like:
Quote:
Ethan is unsure what to do tonight: his boss wants him to stay stay at the office, but his wife insists that he come home for dinner.

I think answer should be ...but his wife insists that he be come home...
Why the command subjunctive is not written as 'be come home?'
VP
VP
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 449 [0], given: 455

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Sentence correction: verb tense, mood question [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 04:10
crackgmat12 wrote:

Quote:

The explanation goes as follows:
Quote:
swallowed is in the present tense of the hypothetical subjunctive mood.

Can someone help about present tense of the hypothetical subjunctive mood? In the book I did not find more information about it. Also, can the correct answer be 'Helen would feel better if she swallow this pill?' Is past tense of swallow necessary?

what book are you using? I'm sure I read this in MGMAT SC. Please check the different 'if' constructions listed in the book. Here are they:

The section on If..then tense constructions in the SC guide states the following 3 rules -

Present
If she wins the lottery...she will give away half her money..

Past
If she won the lottery...she would give away half her money..

Past Perfect
If she had won the lottery...she would have given away half her money..

You wrote the inverted past construction. Hence, you need to use a past tense there.

crackgmat12 wrote:

I have other question:
Quote:
Ethan is unsure what to do tonight: his boss wants that he stay at the office, but his wife insists that he come home for dinner.

The correct answer goes like:
Quote:
Ethan is unsure what to do tonight: his boss wants him to stay stay at the office, but his wife insists that he come home for dinner.

I think answer should be ...but his wife insists that he be come home...
Why the command subjunctive is not written as 'be come home?'

be and come are both verbs. You can't use them together. You don't say "I cook drive" . right?
if you want a comprehensive explanation on subjunctive:
http://grockit.com/blog/gmat/2011/07/13 ... -strategy/
Re: Sentence correction: verb tense, mood question   [#permalink] 01 Feb 2013, 04:10