Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:11 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [2]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: Sentence correction veritas q [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
meeks wrote:
Medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, communicated their interpretive understanding of the texts they illustrated.

A. Medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, communicated
B. Through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks communicated
C. Through their manuscript illuminations, with which they meticulously embellished elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks communicated
D. Meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations communicated
E. Medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellished them and communicated

Dear meeks,
I see you have already gotten a few responses, but I am happy to respond. :-) For future reference, when you post a question, please cite the source. This is a Veritas question. Their questions are usually good, although I do not have a high opinion of this question.

Choices (D) & (E) are clearly wrong, so we'll ignore them.

The split between (B) & (C) is dubious. It comes down to: who or what should be the subject of "embellished"? Certainly it is correct to say that the monks embellished the calligraphy, but it also falls within acceptable usage to say that the illuminations, the pictures, embellished the calligraphy. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, and so there is absolutely nothing wrong with the construction in (B), where the action of "embellishing" would refer to the "manuscript illuminations." Both (B) & (C) are perfectly correct.
For that matter, (A) is also an acceptable answer: it's not ideal to separate the subject that much from the verb, but it's not "wrong." Choice (A) is well within the bounds of what would be an acceptable answer on the GMAT.

Overall, this is a question with as many as three candidates for the "best answer." Good SC have one clear right answer, and four choices about which something is unambiguously, non-negotiably wrong. This question does not adhere to that standard, so it is a very poor question. This is unusual, because I have said, most Veritas questions I have seen tend to be high quality.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Mike :-)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Sentence correction veritas q [#permalink]