Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 06:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sequence S consists of 24 nonzero integers. If each term in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Sequence S consists of 24 nonzero integers. If each term in [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2010, 11:34
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

36% (02:22) correct 64% (01:27) wrong based on 407 sessions
Sequence S consists of 24 nonzero integers. If each term in S after the second is the product of the previous two terms, how many terms in S are negative?

(1) The third term in S is positive
(2) The fourth term in S is negative

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The book claims this is one of the most diff questions GMAT can produce which I believe it is a joke....nevertheless got it wrong because I mis-interpreted the question. I am posting to see if more people will mis-interpret or if it is just me that is going *o*kers
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 04 Jun 2013, 03:55, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question and added the OA.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3419

Kudos [?]: 25067 [1] , given: 2702

Re: Kaplan "800" DS: seq [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2010, 12:17
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
zisis wrote:
Sequence S consists of 24 nonzero integers. If each term in S after the second is the product of the previous two terms, how many terms in S are negative?

(1) The third term in S is negative
(2) The fourth term in S is positive

The book claims this is one of the most diff questions GMAT can produce which I believe it is a joke....nevertheless got it wrong because I mis-interpreted the question. I am posting to see if more people will mis-interpret or if it is just me that is going *o*kers

Answer cannot be B, it should be A.

(1) The third term in S is negative --> first and second terms must have opposite signs so we can hve following two scenarios:

-+--+--+--+-...
OR:
+--+--+--+--...

You can see that in both cases there is a repeated pattern of three terms in which 2 are negative and 1 positive (-+- or +--) so in both cases out of 24 terms 2/3 will be negative, so there will be 16 negative terms. Sufficient.

(2) The fourth term in S is positive --> either all terms are positive, so zero negatives or +--+... and not all terms are positive, so more than zero negatives. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

If the OA is B then it should be:

(1) The third term in S is positive --> either all terms are positive, so zero negatives or +--... and not all terms are positive, so more than zero negatives. Not sufficient.

(2) The fourth term in S is negative --> again two cases:

--+--+--+...
OR
-+--+--+-...

The same here: in both cases there is a repeated pattern of three terms in which 2 are negative and 1 positive (--+ or -+-) so in both cases out of 24 terms 2/3 will be negative, so there will be 16 negative terms. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

Hope it's clear.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kaplan "800" DS: seq [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2010, 12:37
the OA is def the one posted....double checked it.....
will let more people get involved and then post the OA explanation.....your post supports my view that this question is not phrased correclt (ie is open to misinterpetation).....

the bigger question is how can we make sure that the practise we get is up to the test's standard if massive companies like Kaplan cannt phrase their questions correctly....
Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 25067 [0], given: 2702

Re: Kaplan "800" DS: seq [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2010, 12:45
Expert's post
zisis wrote:
the OA is def the one posted....double checked it.....
will let more people get involved and then post the OA explanation.....your post supports my view that this question is not phrased correclt (ie is open to misinterpetation).....

the bigger question is how can we make sure that the practise we get is up to the test's standard if massive companies like Kaplan cannt phrase their questions correctly....

Check the statements not the OA (placement of negative/positive in 1 and 2). There is nothing wrong with the question.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kaplan "800" DS: seq [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2010, 13:06
you were right......I AM going mental.... just edited my post....hope this makes more sense
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kaplan "800" DS: seq [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2010, 02:29
zisis wrote:

One final question:
I misinterpreted the If each term in S after the second part....thought that the "formula"/instructions (An= An-1 * An-2 is only for the third onwards, thus we know nothing for the first two terms thus it is not possible to answer the question.....is that a valid conclusion....?
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: Kaplan "800" DS: seq [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2010, 02:51
Expert's post
zisis wrote:
zisis wrote:

One final question:
I misinterpreted the If each term in S after the second part....thought that the "formula"/instructions (An= An-1 * An-2 is only for the third onwards, thus we know nothing for the first two terms thus it is not possible to answer the question.....is that a valid conclusion....?

You interpreted correctly: a_n=a_{n-1}*a_{n-2}, for n>2.

But you are not right about the first two terms for the following statements:

(2) The fourth term in S is negative --> a_4=negative=a_3*a_2 --> second and third term must have opposite signs, so third term is either positive or negative. Now, case 1: if third term is positive then first and second terms must be both negative (for first and second it's not possible to be both positive as in this case fourth term would be positive too and we know that it's negative) and case 2: if third term is negative then first and second terms must have opposite signs. So there are only 2 cases possible:

--+--+--+...
OR
-+--+--+-...

In both cases there is a repeated pattern of three terms in which 2 are negative and 1 positive (--+ or -+-) so in both cases out of 24 terms 2/3 will be negative, so there will be 16 negative terms. Sufficient.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Kaplan "800" DS: seq [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2010, 16:25
I also get B. You can establish a pattern at 4 and each combination to get negative (- * + or + * -) gets to the same number of negative numbers. I must admist that I did this the long way, without a formula - prorbably took a little over 2 minutes.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: DS Question- Kaplan 800 [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 21:59
rajeshaaidu wrote:
No clue! It's really tough one. Please give official explanation. A) and D) I have eliminated but I was confused between B) and C) because I was not able to explain stmt-B.

If you write out the options resulting from b

T3 below will be T1T2
T1 ---------- T2--------- T3--------------T4
-ve -ve +ve -ve
-ve +ve -ve -ve

For both these cases expand out the first 8 terms and you will see the ratio of 2:1 for negative to positive!
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 904 [0], given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: DS Question- Kaplan 800 [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 22:39
I classify these types of questions as torturous; because we need to count them out to be sure.

1. We can easily rule this out because the 3rd term is +ve; first two can either be -ve or all can be positive. Not sufficient.

2. This statement is little hairy.

X-------|-|+|-|-|+|-|-|+|-|-|+|-|-|+|-|-|+|-|-|+|-|-|+|-|. 16 -ves

Y-------|-|-|+|-|-|+|-|-|+|-|-|+|-|-|+|-|-|+|-|-|+|-|-|+|. 16 -ves

Sufficient.

Well after some thought; you may recognize the pattern that there are two negatives after every +ve; but I would rather write them all out and count them.

As you see for X; first position is -ve and the 2nd +ve. 3rd and 4th are negative and 5th +ve and the pattern continues. You may now count -ves. Likewise for Y.

Ans: "B"

~fluke

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 25067 [1] , given: 2702

Re: DS Question- Kaplan 800 [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2011, 01:27
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: Kaplan "800" DS: seq [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2011, 10:18
Bunuel you are awesome ! If I had seen this question on test day I would have marked C and move on ! But then I took numbers and yes it answered. So - its imperative to find the first negative term. That is the key for the pattern ? Right?
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: Sequence S consists of 24 nonzero integers. If each term in [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 04:03
Expert's post
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Schools: INSEAD Jan '13
GPA: 3.9
WE: Marketing (Other)

Kudos [?]: 18 [2] , given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Sequence S consists of 24 nonzero integers. If each term in [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 02:25
This post received
KUDOS

One important thing to understand is that in GMAT sequence questions there is almost always a pattern. So there is no real need to calculate all 24 integers' signs.
The most difficult part in this question is: If each term in S after the second is the product of the previous two terms .

It is the same as saying that:
x; y; xy; x(y^2); (x^2)(y^3); (x^3)(y^5); (x^5)(y^8); ...

1 st.) xy is positive. In this case both x and y are negative or they both positive. If both positive all the terms will be positive: (+) (+) (+) (+) (+) (+)... In case both are negative we have: (-) (-) (+) (-) (-) (-) (+).... Two different answers - statement is not sufficient

2 st.) x(y^2) is negative. There are two possible options: x is negative and y is positive, or x is negative and y is negative.
In the 1st option we have the following pattern: (-) (+) (-) (-) (+) (-) (-) (+)...
In the 2nd option we have the follwing pattern: (-) (-) (+) (-) (-) (+) (-) (-)... It starts slightly different but the pattern is the same, so we can conclude that the number of positives and negatives within 24 integers will be the same rerdless of the options. So the answer is B.

If you found my post useful and/or interesting - you are welcome to give kudos!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 590 Q48 V23
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 45

Re: Sequence S consists of 24 nonzero integers. If each term in [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2013, 01:42
Even though OA is B and is right, # of negative terms is 17 and not 16. The first term has to be negative in both the scenarios of B.
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: Sequence S consists of 24 nonzero integers. If each term in [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2013, 02:41
Expert's post
ygdrasil24 wrote:
Even though OA is B and is right, # of negative terms is 17 and not 16. The first term has to be negative in both the scenarios of B.

There are 24 numbers and 2/3 are negative, thus 16 numbers are negative not 17.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 590 Q48 V23
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 45

Re: Sequence S consists of 24 nonzero integers. If each term in [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2013, 03:22
Bunuel wrote:
ygdrasil24 wrote:

There are 24 numbers and 2/3 are negative, thus 16 numbers are negative not 17.

Yes 16, I over worked on the final answer :(
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Sequence S consists of 24 nonzero integers. If each term in [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2014, 04:24

(1) The third term in S is positive --> either all terms are positive, so zero negatives or +--... and not all terms are positive, so more than zero negatives. Not sufficient.

(2) The fourth term in S is negative --> again two cases:

--+--+--+...
OR
-+--+--+-...

The same here: in both cases there is a repeated pattern of three terms in which 2 are negative and 1 positive (--+ or -+-) so in both cases out of 24 terms 2/3 will be negative, so there will be 16 negative terms. Sufficient.

tnx for this

www.gmatacademy.ir
best for iranian

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 06-30-2014
GPA: 3.99
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: Sequence S consists of 24 nonzero integers. If each term in [#permalink] New post 10 May 2014, 11:11
1st term x
2nd term y
S={x,y,xy,xy^2.........}

since 4th term is -ve , xY^2 is -ve i.e. x is -ve since y^2 cannot be -ve.
Now since 1st term is -ve there can be 2 different pattern for the sequence assuming 2nd term to be either +ve or -ve.

S={-,-,+,-,-,+,......}
or
S={-,+,-,-,+,-,......}

So its clear that either 2nd term is +ve or -Ve the # of -ve terms is equal for 24 terms(since # of terms is a product of 3).
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Sequence S consists of 24 nonzero integers. If each term in [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2014, 08:30
ziko wrote:

One important thing to understand is that in GMAT sequence questions there is almost always a pattern. So there is no real need to calculate all 24 integers' signs.
The most difficult part in this question is: If each term in S after the second is the product of the previous two terms .

It is the same as saying that:
x; y; xy; x(y^2); (x^2)(y^3); (x^3)(y^5); (x^5)(y^8); ...

1 st.) xy is positive. In this case both x and y are negative or they both positive. If both positive all the terms will be positive: (+) (+) (+) (+) (+) (+)... In case both are negative we have: (-) (-) (+) (-) (-) (-) (+).... Two different answers - statement is not sufficient

2 st.) x(y^2) is negative. There are two possible options: x is negative and y is positive, or x is negative and y is negative.
In the 1st option we have the following pattern: (-) (+) (-) (-) (+) (-) (-) (+)...
In the 2nd option we have the follwing pattern: (-) (-) (+) (-) (-) (+) (-) (-)... It starts slightly different but the pattern is the same, so we can conclude that the number of positives and negatives within 24 integers will be the same rerdless of the options. So the answer is B.

Why isn't fourth term x^2y^2
Re: Sequence S consists of 24 nonzero integers. If each term in   [#permalink] 07 Jul 2014, 08:30