Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 10:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Serious individual art collectors are usually discreet when

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2012
Posts: 19
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 7

Serious individual art collectors are usually discreet when [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2013, 23:00
1
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (02:22) correct 46% (01:32) wrong based on 377 sessions
Serious individual art collectors are usually discreet when making significant purchases or sales related to their collections. At art auctions, for example, these collectors often place anonymous bids for major artwork. Therefore, the whereabouts of most of the world's most valuable artwork is probably unknown.

Each of the following, if true, would weaken the conclusion above EXCEPT:

A) The value of a piece of art is purely subjective.
B) Serious art collectors usually publicize their new artwork several months after making a purchase.
C) Museums own the vast majority of the world's most valuable artwork.
D) Of all the individuals in the world who own extremely valuable artwork, only a few are considered serious art collectors.
E) The private collections of most serious individual art collectors are often displayed in public settings.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Zarrolou on 17 Jun 2013, 23:05, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question, added OA.
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Far, far away!
Joined: 02 Sep 2012
Posts: 1125
Location: Italy
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 113

Kudos [?]: 1190 [2] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Serious individual art collectors are usually discreet [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2013, 23:16
2
This post received
KUDOS
Each of the following, if true, would weaken the conclusion that the whereabouts of the world's most valuable artwork is probably unknown

A) The value of a piece of art is purely subjective.
CORRECT, this does not weaken the conclusion.
B) Serious art collectors usually publicize their new artwork several months after making a purchase.
Hence the location is know if the collector publicize his new purcheses.
C) Museums own the vast majority of the world's most valuable artwork.
If this is true, than the location of the most valuable work is know: the museums.
D) Of all the individuals in the world who own extremely valuable artwork, only a few are considered serious art collectors.
If this is true, (the number of serious art collectors is little) then the number of valuable work whose whereabouts is unknown is little (it's reasonable to conclude so).
E) The private collections of most serious individual art collectors are often displayed in public settings.
If they display them in public, then the location is know.

For me it was between A and D. If we analyze D closely, we can assume something that weakens the conclusion, but the info contained in A does not allow us to infer anything.
_________________

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Expert Post
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 2439
Followers: 310

Kudos [?]: 2602 [0], given: 695

Re: Serious individual art collectors are usually discreet [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2013, 10:13
Expert's post
Zarrolou wrote:
Each of the following, if true, would weaken the conclusion that the whereabouts of the world's most valuable artwork is probably unknown

A) The value of a piece of art is purely subjective.
CORRECT, this does not weaken the conclusion.
B) Serious art collectors usually publicize their new artwork several months after making a purchase.
Hence the location is know if the collector publicize his new purcheses.
C) Museums own the vast majority of the world's most valuable artwork.
If this is true, than the location of the most valuable work is know: the museums.
D) Of all the individuals in the world who own extremely valuable artwork, only a few are considered serious art collectors.
If this is true, (the number of serious art collectors is little) then the number of valuable work whose whereabouts is unknown is little (it's reasonable to conclude so).
E) The private collections of most serious individual art collectors are often displayed in public settings.
If they display them in public, then the location is know.

For me it was between A and D. If we analyze D closely, we can assume something that weakens the conclusion, but the info contained in A does not allow us to infer anything.


Quote:
Therefore, the whereabouts of most of the world's most valuable artwork is probably unknown.


I agree. D was a little tricky........a close look leads you to A
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Posts: 348
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 12

Re: Serious individual art collectors are usually discreet [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2013, 16:48
espa wrote:
Serious individual art collectors are usually discreet when making significant purchases or sales related to their collections. At art auctions, for example, these collectors often place anonymous bids for major artwork. Therefore, the whereabouts of most of the world's most valuable artwork is probably unknown.

Each of the following, if true, would weaken the conclusion above EXCEPT:

A) The value of a piece of art is purely subjective.
B) Serious art collectors usually publicize their new artwork several months after making a purchase.
C) Museums own the vast majority of the world's most valuable artwork.
D) Of all the individuals in the world who own extremely valuable artwork, only a few are considered serious art collectors.
E) The private collections of most serious individual art collectors are often displayed in public settings.


Generally for except questions, i think the best to attack is to think without except mark. So, think of the answers that weaken the conclusion and answer accordingly.
A) Doesn't hurt the conclusion which says you can't find people who buys these popular art pieces or u can't find that art.
B)Hurt's you know where to find them. gone
C)Well if museums owns them than you can find them.gone
D)So you know the serious buyers. gone.
E)art is displayed publicly. gone
Answer A.
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 23 Jul 2010
Posts: 487
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 440 [1] , given: 247

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Serious individual art collectors are usually discreet when [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2013, 01:53
1
This post received
KUDOS
Bumping for review and further discussion*.

New project from GMAT Club! Click here


_________________

How to CHOOSE your Business School
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources such as 1000 series.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Apr 2013
Posts: 140
Location: India
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 18

Re: Serious individual art collectors are usually discreet [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2013, 10:43
Yes. I agree with u. It is easy to get lost with the options especially in "except" questions and the best way to tackle these questions is by not hanging too much with the word "except". Try to find and eliminate the answer choices that best address the question stem without "except". Answer choices that are irrelevant or have no effect on the conclusion are the real contenders. However, I feel questions of these type are really time consuming. :shock:

Bluelagoon wrote:
espa wrote:
Serious individual art collectors are usually discreet when making significant purchases or sales related to their collections. At art auctions, for example, these collectors often place anonymous bids for major artwork. Therefore, the whereabouts of most of the world's most valuable artwork is probably unknown.

Each of the following, if true, would weaken the conclusion above EXCEPT:

A) The value of a piece of art is purely subjective.
B) Serious art collectors usually publicize their new artwork several months after making a purchase.
C) Museums own the vast majority of the world's most valuable artwork.
D) Of all the individuals in the world who own extremely valuable artwork, only a few are considered serious art collectors.
E) The private collections of most serious individual art collectors are often displayed in public settings.


Generally for except questions, i think the best to attack is to think without except mark. So, think of the answers that weaken the conclusion and answer accordingly.
A) Doesn't hurt the conclusion which says you can't find people who buys these popular art pieces or u can't find that art.
B)Hurt's you know where to find them. gone
C)Well if museums owns them than you can find them.gone
D)So you know the serious buyers. gone.
E)art is displayed publicly. gone
Answer A.

_________________

+1 KUDOS is the best way to say thanks :-)

"Those, who never do any more than they get paid for, never get paid for any more than they do"

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Posts: 35
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 03-14-2014
GPA: 3.42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 59

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Serious individual art collectors are usually discreet [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2014, 12:30
carcass wrote:
Zarrolou wrote:
Each of the following, if true, would weaken the conclusion that the whereabouts of the world's most valuable artwork is probably unknown

A) The value of a piece of art is purely subjective.
CORRECT, this does not weaken the conclusion.
B) Serious art collectors usually publicize their new artwork several months after making a purchase.
Hence the location is know if the collector publicize his new purcheses.
C) Museums own the vast majority of the world's most valuable artwork.
If this is true, than the location of the most valuable work is know: the museums.
D) Of all the individuals in the world who own extremely valuable artwork, only a few are considered serious art collectors.
If this is true, (the number of serious art collectors is little) then the number of valuable work whose whereabouts is unknown is little (it's reasonable to conclude so).
E) The private collections of most serious individual art collectors are often displayed in public settings.
If they display them in public, then the location is know.

For me it was between A and D. If we analyze D closely, we can assume something that weakens the conclusion, but the info contained in A does not allow us to infer anything.


Quote:
Therefore, the whereabouts of most of the world's most valuable artwork is probably unknown.


I agree. D was a little tricky........a close look leads you to A



If the value of a peice of art is purely subjective, then there is no clear definition/criteria for most "valuable" artwork. And if there is no most valuable artwork then it can't be concluded that the whereabouts of most of the world's most valuable artwork is probably unknown.. This question is indeed tricky. Can anyone properly justify option A?
_________________

Best GMAT Resources downloads-
collection-of-the-best-gmat-resources-167295.html#p1329720

May we all emerge victorious :)

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Sep 2011
Posts: 182
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 5

CAT Tests
Re: Serious individual art collectors are usually discreet [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2014, 14:42
anindame wrote:

If the value of a piece of art is purely subjective, then there is no clear definition/criteria for most "valuable" artwork. And if there is no most valuable artwork then it can't be concluded that the whereabouts of most of the world's most valuable artwork is probably unknown.. This question is indeed tricky. Can anyone properly justify option A?


We cannot look for the perfect answer because there are none. Still, the best answer among the bunch is A.
A) The value of a piece of art is purely subjective. The value of art does not affect the conclusion at all, since serious collectors make "significant" purchases and often do so anonymously. Thus, the criteria for the value of the piece of art has no significance in the argument -- it's practially neutral. If "significant" pieces are in fact worthless, the remaining, valuable pieces of artwork are likely to be purchased and still be unknown.

B) Serious art collectors usually publicize their new artwork several months after making a purchase. Weakens. Publicizing <> unknown.

C) Museums own the vast majority of the world's most valuable artwork. Weakens. Vast majority of art is in fact known.

D) Of all the individuals in the world who own extremely valuable artwork, only a few are considered serious art collectors. Weakens. If only a few collectors are art collectors and they hold some artwork, then the location of most of the valuable artwork is probably known.

E) The private collections of most serious individual art collectors are often displayed in public settings. Weaken. Public settings <> unknown.

I hope this helps.
_________________

A little kudos never hurt anyone. :)

Re: Serious individual art collectors are usually discreet   [#permalink] 12 Mar 2014, 14:42
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Art museums do not usually think of their collections as hellom3p 11 27 Feb 2006, 11:30
Art museums do not usually think of their collections as rianah100 4 06 Dec 2005, 06:03
Art museums do not usually think of their collections as Fuqua 9 01 Jun 2005, 08:28
Art museums do not usually think of their collections as karun_aggarwal 8 09 Apr 2005, 10:35
Art museums do not usually think of their collections as prasad_bgv 2 05 Jan 2005, 07:31
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Serious individual art collectors are usually discreet when

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.