Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 09 Jul 2014, 21:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Serious novelists start writing because of a desire to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Serious novelists start writing because of a desire to [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2009, 07:36
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Serious novelists start writing because of a desire to create a work of art and recognize as great literature the works of other novelists who achieve this goal. As a consequence, when a novel becomes a best-seller, the authors of other novels conclude that the best-seller is not truly great literature.

The explanation offered above for the view authors hold of best-sellers assumes that

work on a novel that the author hopes will be regarded as great literature must be undertaken in solitude

serious novelists tend not to view as great literature a novel produced by an author whose success they envy

a novelist can produce a best-seller without having already produced great literature

serious novelists believe that those novelists who produce best-sellers must not have aimed at producing a work of art

the claim of a novel to status as great literature cannot be evaluated by individuals who are not themselves serious novelists

Pls explain

==============================================
Do not answer without sharing the reasoning behind ur choice
-----------------------------------------------------------
Working on my weakness : GMAT Verbal
------------------------------------------------------------
Ask:
Why, What, How, When, Where, Who

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Serious novelists [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2009, 09:55
The argument states that Serious novelists create work of art and recognize other artist work as great literature.....Since the work of the author of the best selling novel is stated as not a work of art, it must be due to the serious novelists not considering them as great literature...This is most clearly stated in D....So D is the correct choice according to me....

Choose Life

Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: Serious novelists [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2009, 22:09
quite interesting.

will go for D. But E seems little tempting too but definitely weaker than option D.

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Serious novelists [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2009, 09:30
I agree with option 'D'.

"Always....Read between the lines"

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Serious novelists [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2009, 10:36
D it is. Clearly there is conflict here between best-selling literature and the literature that is a work of art. And this is clearly stated by D.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Serious novelists [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2009, 16:08
D for me too.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Anderson FEMBA
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Re: Serious novelists [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2009, 23:21
Quote:
Serious novelists start writing because of a desire to create a work of art and recognize as great literature the works of other novelists who achieve this goal. As a consequence, when a novel becomes a best-seller, the authors of other novels conclude that the best-seller is not truly great literature.

The explanation offered above for the view authors hold of best-sellers assumes that

Tricky CR. I too picked "D", but with some hesitation.

My notes on this show:
Given: Serious novelist = write for works of art & can recognize other great novelists. If a novel is a best seller = not great literature.

Based on the given info, I would have guessed that the assumption is that if a work is a best seller, then the work (literature) is not good work.

Option D mirrored that response.
Manager
Manager

Re: Serious novelists [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2009, 00:09
OA: D

Ask:

GMAT Instructor
Followers: 243

Kudos [?]: 609 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Serious novelists [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2009, 17:58
I'm curious where the question is from, because it seems completely illogical (and badly written as well). There's an important distinction between intention and result, and the question confuses the two - it's a distinction that's discussed all the time in art criticism, the difference between a work's conception and a work's reception.

If something is an assumption in an argument, then it absolutely must be true to make the argument valid. Answer D is not necessarily required to make the conclusion valid; we don't need to assume that serious novelists believe that a bestselling author never intended to produce great literature. Instead, serious novelists they may think all authors try to produce great literature but that some fail, and instead sell a lot of books, and serious novelists, out of disdain for public opinion, might take a novel's bestselling status as prima facie evidence of the book's failure as great literature.

All of the answer choices are bad here.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Manager
Manager

Re: Serious novelists [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2009, 11:27
IanStewart wrote:
I'm curious where the question is from, because it seems completely illogical (and badly written as well). There's an important distinction between intention and result, and the question confuses the two - it's a distinction that's discussed all the time in art criticism, the difference between a work's conception and a work's reception.

If something is an assumption in an argument, then it absolutely must be true to make the argument valid. Answer D is not necessarily required to make the conclusion valid; we don't need to assume that serious novelists believe that a bestselling author never intended to produce great literature. Instead, serious novelists they may think all authors try to produce great literature but that some fail, and instead sell a lot of books, and serious novelists, out of disdain for public opinion, might take a novel's bestselling status as prima facie evidence of the book's failure as great literature.

All of the answer choices are bad here.

this question is from peterson CAT.
I have got a similar response to few other peterson test questions which i posted here.
Peterson tests are not worth the time and effort.

Ask:

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 11