Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 06:48

Starting Soon:

Live Q&A Session with Cambridge Admissions Team   ||    Join Chat Room to Attend the Session

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Seriously Worried, Unbalanced score top tier MBAs

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q42 V44
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Seriously Worried, Unbalanced score top tier MBAs [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2012, 11:58
Hello everyone,

First of all this is a great forum, thank to all the contributors!

Few days ago (after a serious amount of stress) I finally took the GMAT and with enough surprise I achieved a fairly good score:

700 (Q42 59th V44 97th)

First of all I am very happy I took the GMAT previously to get into a Msc (nearly 5y ago) and got a 580 that was cause of a bit of depression (thats why I did not retake it). On my first attempt verbal went really bad (29) and thats why, when I decided to retake it, I mostly focused in improving my verbal score.

I am quite happy now and planning to apply to a top tier school (HBS / STAN and even Columbia) however I am quite worried about my low quant (42 is like 59th percentile).
I have an Italian Bsc in Law and Economics with 3.9+ gpa and solid scores (A or A+) in math, microecon, macroecon, finance and accounting. I have a Msc in Stretegic Management between France and Germany (with some time spent in England and Argentina). I am a former semiprofessional rugby player and I speak professionally 3 languages + 2 on a casual conversation level.
I am currently working in a top tier consulting firm that yearly send at least 6 candidates each to HBS and Columbia (Not familiar with figures from other uni). I am planning to get recommendation from a client (CEO), Senior Partner and possibly my Math professor during my Bsc (Italian luminar that teaches in Ivy league UNIs as well)

At first I thought that my profile was solid enough to achieve my target schools however reading this forums I started to sadly realize that my supposed "excellent 700 GMAT" score is not that good as it is "Unbalanced" :shock: .

I see two option sin front of me:

1) Retake it - which I really dont want, as I have a clean 700 with my old 580 expired, preparing it was really stressing, the test is changing soon and I am honestly proud of my 97th percentile verbal as a non native english speaker

2) Back up my application with quantitative stuff, Bsc subjects records, highlight quantitative intensive project I took part in and the recommendation from the Bsc math prof

What do you think?

PS I admit that the Q score could be improved by a couple of points ( i kinda panicked during the quant part, however would really a 65 or 70 percentile change that much?)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: Seriously Worried, Unbalanced score top tier MBAs [#permalink] New post 01 May 2012, 23:32
Expert's post
Sorry for the delay in getting to this. I'm going to direct you to parts of a response I just posted, because it deals with exactly this issue. Punchline: unless you are applying to MIT or Haas, I think you will be fine. Here's the post:

AdamAACG wrote:
...as for the splits, we've only truly seen that matter at Haas and Sloan - two schools that are a bit more paternalist about academic preparedness. Usually it is offset by strong finance chops (either academically or professionally), but those are the two programs were it seems to be a concern. I've personally had clients in the 50s on their quant split, from functions ranging from marketing to finance to non-profit, and all were able to get into top schools - even "quant heavy" programs. So to me, the split thing is one of those red herrings that gets everyone all hot and bothered on forums, but rarely is a game changer.

As I said in that other post, your narrative is going to be so much more important than percentiles at this point in the game.

Best,
-Adam/Amerasia