Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 17:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Set A consists of all the integers between 10 and 21, inclus

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 570 Q47 V21
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 35

Set A consists of all the integers between 10 and 21, inclus [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 06:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (02:42) correct 32% (01:40) wrong based on 67 sessions
Set A consists of all the integers between 10 and 21, inclusive. Set B consists of all the integers between 10 and 50, inclusive. If x is a number chosen randomly from Set A, y is a number chosen randomly from Set B, and y has no factor z such that 1 < z < y, what is the probability that the product xy is divisible by 3?

A. 1/4
B. 1/3
C. 1/2
D. 2/3
E. 3/4
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Don't give up on yourself ever. Period.
Beat it, no one wants to be defeated (My journey from 570 to 690) : beat-it-no-one-wants-to-be-defeated-journey-570-to-149968.html

3 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 232 [3] , given: 9

Re: Set A consists of all the integers between 10 and 21, inclus [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 19:34
This post received
KUDOS
From the given statements, we can conclude that y is prime. Therefore xy will be divisible by 3 if x is divisible by 3. Number of multiples of x between 10 and 21 inclusive = 4

Therefore probability = 4/12 = 1/3

Option B

Free profile evaluation by top b-school alumni: email us at info@gyanone.com
Personalized 1-on-1 GMAT coaching: www.gyanone.com/1-on-1-gmat/

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Re: Set A consists of all the integers between 10 and 21, inclus [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 13:52
GyanOne wrote:
From the given statements, we can conclude that y is prime. Therefore xy will be divisible by 3 if x is divisible by 3. Number of multiples of x between 10 and 21 inclusive = 4

Option B

we need to discuss a little bit here.

I agree that y is prime. However y is also chosen, so the probability for a prime number chosen is 13/41. And the probability for x divisible by 3 is 4/12
So the result is (13/41)*(4/12).

Please correct me if I'm wrong, thanks
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 52

Kudos [?]: 560 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Set A consists of all the integers between 10 and 21, inclus [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 21:37
akhandamandala wrote:
GyanOne wrote:

Option B

I agree that y is prime. However y is also chosen, so the probability for a prime number chosen is 13/41. And the probability for x divisible by 3 is 4/12

We do not have to worry about choosing y. We are already given that y is prime. So no matter what number we choose as y, we still have to only find out the probability for choosing x. If otherwise, the question had asked for the number of ways in which xy would be divisible by 3, then the number of ways in which y could be selected would have to have been considered.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 108

Kudos [?]: 489 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Set A consists of all the integers between 10 and 21, inclus [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 21:58
Expert's post
Would it have been complex if it were given that B consists of all prime numbers from 1 to 50, inclusive?
Will it be 1/3 + 1/15 then?

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Re: Set A consists of all the integers between 10 and 21, inclus [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 01:56
Marcab wrote:
Would it have been complex if it were given that B consists of all prime numbers from 1 to 50, inclusive?
Will it be 1/3 + 1/15 then?

Is that not what the question is already effectively asking??

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 489 [1] , given: 62

Re: Set A consists of all the integers between 10 and 21, inclus [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 02:21
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The question says that B consists of all integers from 10 to 50, inclusive.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting

Re: Set A consists of all the integers between 10 and 21, inclus [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 02:28
Marcab wrote:

True.. But the options to choose Y is essentially a set of prime numbers between 10 and 50...

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Set A consists of all the integers between 10 and 21, inclus [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 02:49
Expert's post
MacFauz wrote:
Marcab wrote:

True.. But the options to choose Y is essentially a set of prime numbers between 10 and 50...

I agree that indirectly it is stating that B consists of prime numbers from 10 to 50, but my query was rather different.
Suppose, if it were given that B consists of all prime numbers from 1 to 50 rather than 10 to 50, then what will be the answer.
I hope, I am being clear this time.

Rules For Posting

Re: Set A consists of all the integers between 10 and 21, inclus [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 03:22
Marcab wrote:
MacFauz wrote:
Marcab wrote:

I agree that indirectly it is stating that B consists of prime numbers from 10 to 50, but my query was rather different.
Suppose, if it were given that B consists of all prime numbers from 1 to 50 rather than 10 to 50, then what will be the answer.
I hope, I am being clear this time.

Oh.. Sorry. I read that as 10 to 50 again... I'm not very sure. But let me give it a try

edit:

If it is 1 to 50,

For required outcome : y is 3 and x is any number or y is not 3 and x is a multiple of 3

\frac{1}{15} * 1 + \frac{14}{15} * \frac{4}{12}

= \frac{12}{15*12} + \frac{14*4}{15*12}

= \frac{68}{180} = \frac{17}{45}

A very ugly answer and lots of calculator work.. There should be an easier more correct way..

Last edited by MacFauz on 02 Jan 2013, 03:38, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: Set A consists of all the integers between 10 and 21, inclus [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 03:33
MacFauz wrote:
akhandamandala wrote:
GyanOne wrote:

Option B

We do not have to worry about choosing y. We are already given that y is prime. So no matter what number we choose as y, we still have to only find out the probability for choosing x. If otherwise, the question had asked for the number of ways in which xy would be divisible by 3, then the number of ways in which y could be selected would have to have been considered.

Thanks for your reply. I would like to defend my idea:

"Set B consists of all the integers between 10 and 50, inclusive" means set B will contain prime and non-prime numbers
"If x is a number chosen randomly from Set A" means x is chosen randomly from set A without limitation condition
"y is a number chosen randomly from Set B, and y has no factor z such that 1 < z < y" means y is also chosen like x but with condition.
So y is not a given number, y must be chosen from set B and satisfy the condition "has no factor z such that 1 < z < y".

Now take a look from another view:
"Set A consists of all the integers between 10 and 21, inclusive. Set B consists of all the integers between 10 and 50, inclusive. If x is a number chosen randomly from Set A, y is a number chosen randomly from Set B, what is the probability that the product xy is divisible by 3?"
The condition for y in this version is removed, so what is your idea in this case ???

Re: Set A consists of all the integers between 10 and 21, inclus [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 03:51
akhandamandala wrote:
MacFauz wrote:
akhandamandala wrote:

Option B

"Set B consists of all the integers between 10 and 50, inclusive" means set B will contain prime and non-prime numbers
"If x is a number chosen randomly from Set A" means x is chosen randomly from set A without limitation condition
"y is a number chosen randomly from Set B, and y has no factor z such that 1 < z < y" means y is also chosen like x but with condition.
So y is not a given number, y must be chosen from set B and satisfy the condition "has no factor z such that 1 < z < y".

"Set A consists of all the integers between 10 and 21, inclusive. Set B consists of all the integers between 10 and 50, inclusive. If x is a number chosen randomly from Set A, y is a number chosen randomly from Set B, what is the probability that the product xy is divisible by 3?"
The condition for y in this version is removed, so what is your idea in this case ???

In such a case, there are 13 ways in which y can be selected to be a multiple of 3 and 28 ways in which y can be selected to not be a multiple of 3.

\frac{13}{41} * 1 + \frac{28}{41}* \frac{4}{12}

= \frac{67}{123}

i believe the fact the y is a prime number greater than 10 given in the original question is significant because it clearly says that y CANNOT be a multiple of 3.

Intern
Intern

Re: Set A consists of all the integers between 10 and 21, inclus [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 04:18
MacFauz wrote:
akhandamandala wrote:
MacFauz wrote:

In such a case, there are 13 ways in which y can be selected to be a multiple of 3 and 28 ways in which y can be selected to not be a multiple of 3.

\frac{13}{41} * 1 + \frac{28}{41}* \frac{4}{12}

= \frac{67}{123}

i believe the fact the y is a prime number greater than 10 given in the original question is significant because it clearly says that y CANNOT be a multiple of 3.

That's very good. We step by step go to the mutual agreement that "y is a number chosen randomly from Set B" means there are various ways in which y is chosen; so y may be a prime or may be a non-prime number. What is the probability that y will be a prime number?
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Set A consists of all the integers between 10 and 21, inclus [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 04:42
Expert's post
Quote:
For required outcome : y is 3 and x is any number or y is not 3 and x is a multiple of 3

MacFauz why have you neglected the 3 in the other one? Can't we take any number just as it was done earlier?

Rules For Posting

Re: Set A consists of all the integers between 10 and 21, inclus [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 20:44
@akhandamandala : I believe that in the original question, it is given that "y" is a prime number. So, the probability that y will be prime is 100%.

@Marcab : I have already considered a situation where y is 3 and x is a multiple of 3 in the first scenario. Hence, in the second scenario, I am considering only a situation where y is not a multiple of 3 and x is a multiple of 3. If in the second case, "y" is not 3 and "x" is also not a multiple of 3, then the product would not be divisible by 3.

Intern
Intern

Re: Set A consists of all the integers between 10 and 21, inclus [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 02:53
Set B does not contains prime numbers only, that's the set of ALL integers from 10 to 50, and there are 11 (not 13 as aforementioned) prime numbers in the range [10, 50]. In the other hand, y is chosen RANDOMLY from the set B, and y is prime; so P(y is prime) = 1 is not persuasive.

I posted the original quiz on facebook (without the multiple choices), there's a reply with the idea that the probability for y is prime is <1. So far my idea does not stand alone.
Why don't you make a survey in which you post this original quiz (omit the multiple choices) on your facebook or blog?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 570 Q47 V21
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 60 [1] , given: 35

Re: Set A consists of all the integers between 10 and 21, inclus [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 04:28
This post received
KUDOS
If y has no factor z such that 1 < z < y, then y must be prime. Let's look at a few examples to
see why this is true:
6 has a factor 2 such that 1 < 2 < 6: 6 is NOT prime
15 has a factor 5 such that 1 < 5 < 15: 15 is NOT prime
3 has NO factor between 1 and 3: 3 IS prime
7 has NO factor between 1 and 7: 7 IS prime
Because it is selected from Set B, y is a prime number between 10 and 50, inclusive. The only prime
number that is divisible by 3 is 3, so y is definitely not divisible by 3.
Thus, xy is only divisible by 3 if x itself is divisible by 3. We can rephrase the question: “What is
the probability that a multiple of 3 will be chosen randomly from Set A?”
There are 21 – 10 + 1 = 12 terms in Set A. Of these, 4 terms (12, 15, 18, and 21) are divisible by 3

Thus, the probability that x is divisible by 3 is 4/12 = 1/3.
The correct answer is B. (Source : Manhattan GMAT Advanced Quant Guide)

Don't give up on yourself ever. Period.
Beat it, no one wants to be defeated (My journey from 570 to 690) : beat-it-no-one-wants-to-be-defeated-journey-570-to-149968.html

Intern
Intern

Re: Set A consists of all the integers between 10 and 21, inclus [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 13:04
I think this question is very controversial. There would be significant amount of people understand that y is chosen randomly in order to satisfy the condition y is prime, not that y is given as a prime.
VP
VP
Followers: 120

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Set A consists of all the integers between 10 and 21, inclus [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2014, 10:18
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 2.8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

CAT Tests
Re: Set A consists of all the integers between 10 and 21, inclus [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2014, 20:23
y has no factor z such that 1 < z < y this means that y is a prime and it has to lie between 10 and 50 inclusive. Now, since the product of xy is divisible by 3 so that means that we have to look for multiples of 3 in set A since primes from set B are all greater than 3. Set B has 12 elements and out of which 4 are multiples of 3 so probability should be 4/12 = 1/3.

Consider giving kudos if my post helped.

Consider KUDOS if my post helped :)

Re: Set A consists of all the integers between 10 and 21, inclus   [#permalink] 04 Mar 2014, 20:23