Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 713 [0]
Given Kudos: 138
GMAT 1: 470 Q30 V20
GMAT 2: 620 Q42 V33
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Sentence Correction RoadMap [#permalink]
Kudos
I wouldn't directly go to options. You can do this for easier questions. But for harder questions , dissect the original sentence and try to analyze it first. Try to find what's wrong. Later go to options and eliminate the wrong options.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks again saiprasad86! Quite helpful

I found thoug on Cracking the GMAT book a step-by-step approach that free you to the Logic and Prediction you have mentioned.

As you said, it may be too basic for those who are +700 but works quite well as a technique.

The Princeton Review establishes 8 steps to find any commom error, which I won't reproduce in here but are found on page 276.

it is a sequence

- Pronouns
- Misplaced Modifiers
- Parallel construction or comparison
- Tense
- Subject-Verb Agreement
- Idiom
- Quantity Words

They tell us to expand the list for other mistakes once we get use to the cross-checking

Combined with the material available here gmatclub. com/forum/all-sc-rules-official-qs-by-experts-legendary-club-members-145563

"Sorry, I can't post UR L's yet"

I think we can ace almost any SC question.

I wish I could hear more from the experts as well.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
felippemed wrote:
it is a sequence
Be very careful with these sequences. The only people who have enough time to go through a whole checklist while solving questions on the exam are the ones who don't need to go through a checklist in the first place.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Great insight! Thanks AjiteshArun!

For someone who is climbing his mountain - with some help and plenty of material (such as Jamboree, Magoosh, etc. and some private help) - but is now struggling to obtain better results, which route would you suggest to follow?

- More exercises? (I have completed and reviewed the OG)
- Diagnostic Material and then greater focus on weak areas? (any suggestion of software or course)
- Different approach? (such as the one I gave above?)

My feeling is always the same when I get a wrong answer. "I knew it!"
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
felippemed wrote:
- More exercises? (I have completed and reviewed the OG)
- Diagnostic Material and then greater focus on weak areas? (any suggestion of software or course)
- Different approach? (such as the one I gave above?)
If you're looking to improve your RC performance, it will most likely come down to the amount of practice you put in. Even general reading (of good material) helps.

As for SC, you need to practice all the concepts you learn, to the point that you no longer need to actively think about them during an exam. The concepts you mentioned in your post are absolutely fine. Please do study everything there. It's just the "apply these concepts in a sequence" bit that I'm skeptical about.

This (basic) process is not easy, and it usually takes a lot of time (differs person to person though). But I think it's easily the most reliable way to improve.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [1]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
saiprasad86 wrote:
I wouldn't directly go to options. You can do this for easier questions. But for harder questions , dissect the original sentence and try to analyze it first. Try to find what's wrong. Later go to options and eliminate the wrong options.

I agree with this. Strategy for hard SC is something I've been thinking about a lot lately, and working to develop with my students. I wouldn't necessarily divide it into hard questions versus easier ones, though. If a question has a short underline, whether it's hard or easy - or if there's an obvious split based on a small number of words - go straight to deciding on that split across all five answer choices. But if the question has a longer underline, or the underline covers a more complex part of the sentence, or if you can't find any great splits, you need a different approach. I've been telling my students to find an 'issue' in the original sentence, regardless of whether it's an error or not. Find something that the GMAT likes, like a modifier, a pronoun, or a tensed verb. Then track that issue across the answer choices, investigating how each of them handles it. Does it eliminate the issue altogether, maybe by restructuring the sentence? Does it approach the issue in the same way, or differently? Then eliminate any answer choice that doesn't handle that issue correctly before moving on to another one (from the first remaining answer choice - since you may have eliminated (A)).
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ccooley Thank you very much for your insightful tips and time to reply! Kudos to you!

I think now I understand better what you, AjiteshArun and saiprasad86 said: "be careful with your approach to every Sentence Correction".

Just now, after moving to harder questions, I understand the importance of the meaning and the sentence comprehension to answer correctly. Right now, grammar comes smoother, and it is applied almost automatically in every SC, that I recognize as the well-known "low-hanging fruit".

The thing is, when you start from the scratch on the GMAT prep, you have no idea what comes to you. The easiest questions test you on grammar and the hardest ones on a variety of errors, including grammar. For those who are a newbie - like myself :) - , losing easy questions mean that you haven't done your homework, which is not true. Sometimes, it lacks some clearer guidance on how to kill these first little monsters then move to the ugliest ones.

I just want to thank you all for taking the time to reply my messages and for building this excellent source of knowledge.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts