Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 05:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Seven children are going to sit in seven chairs in a row

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 539

Kudos [?]: 2273 [0], given: 31

Seven children are going to sit in seven chairs in a row [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 14:14
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

76% (02:07) correct 24% (01:20) wrong based on 108 sessions
Seven children — A, B, C, D, E, F, and G — are going to sit in seven chairs in a row. Child A has to sit next to both B & G, with these two children immediately adjacent to Child A on either side. The other four children can sit in any order in any of the remaining seats. How many possible configurations are there for the children?
(A) 240
(B) 480
(C) 720
(D) 1440
(E) 3600

For an in-depth discussion of counting questions such as this one, as well as the complete solution to this question, see:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-count ... trictions/
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 35 [4] , given: 1

Re: Seven children are going to sit in seven chairs in a row [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 14:37
This post received
KUDOS
First we can imagine the trio ABG as one item to arrange along with four other items: C , D, E, F.

This can be done in 5! = 120 ways

However the trio can be arranged in 2 ways: BAG or GAB.

So, total number of ways to sit the seven children is equal to 2*120 = 240 (option A)

Posted from my mobile device Image

Please press "kudo" if this helped you!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT Date: 01-30-2013
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

Re: Seven children are going to sit in seven chairs in a row [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 06:14
Arrange B A and G in the following way --> BAG---- (4 open slots available after BAG). The total number of ways of arranging while fixing BAG in their spots is 4!. Since B and G can be interchanged we have 4!x2 number of ways having B A and G occupying the first 3 slots. Since there are 5 different ways to have A in the middle of B and G the total number of ways of arranging the children is (4!x2) x 5 = 240 (A)
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS '16, Stanford '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 16

Re: Seven children are going to sit in seven chairs in a row [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 10:28
+1 A

Here, we have to use the glue-method: Suposse that BAG or GAB are just one child. Let's call it X.
So, we have: X, C, D, E, F: Just 5 kids.
We arrange them: 5! =120

Then, we have combinations like this:
X - C -D - E -F
C - X - D - E - F
etc...

But X can be B-A-G or G-A-B
Then: 120 * 2 = 240

Kudos, if you like it ;)
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q0 V0
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 31

Re: Seven children are going to sit in seven chairs in a row [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2013, 04:00
Is this really a 700 question? seemed too easy :?
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 412 [0], given: 209

Re: Seven children are going to sit in seven chairs in a row [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2013, 12:48
Question states as following, thus I am not able to understand why others are considering GAB as a possible arrangement.
"Child A has to sit next to both B & G, with these two children immediately adjacent to Child A on either side."

As per my understanding I am able to figure out following possible arrangements.

[BGA] C D E F = 5! permutations.
[ABG] C D E F = 5!
[GBA] C D E F = 5!
[AGB] C D E F = 5!

120 x 4 = 480 arrangements, I got this, is it right ?

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 539

Kudos [?]: 2273 [0], given: 31

Re: Seven children are going to sit in seven chairs in a row [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2013, 13:05
Expert's post
nave81 wrote:
Is this really a 700 question? seemed too easy

Well, when I post a question, the GC system makes me guess on the difficulty ---- take that as a guess, no more. It's true, if you are fluent combinatorics and counting problems, this problem is a breeze, but folks who are not particular adroit at counting might start, for example, listing all possibilities. All math is impossibly difficult when you don't see how to do it, and trivially easy when you do, and that's doubly true for counting problems. I was basing my guess of the difficulty on the frequency of questions I see about such topics. If this question was easy for you, nave81, that may reflect more on your talent than on the nature of the question. :-)

PiyushK wrote:
Question states as following, thus I am not able to understand why others are considering GAB as a possible arrangement.
"Child A has to sit next to both B & G, with these two children immediately adjacent to Child A on either side."
As per my understanding I am able to figure out following possible arrangements.
[BGA] C D E F = 5! permutations.
[ABG] C D E F = 5!
[GBA] C D E F = 5!
[AGB] C D E F = 5!
120 x 4 = 480 arrangements, I got this, is it right ?

Dear PiyushK,
I regret to tell you, sir, that you are misreading the question. The wording here is tricky.
Child A has to sit next to both B & G, with these two children immediately adjacent to Child A on either side.
These "two children" are B & G, and each one of them is adjacent to A ---- thus BGA & AGB are not a possibilities because B is not adjacent to A, and ABG & GBA are not possibilities because G is not adjacent to A. The wording implies that B must be adjacent to A and that G must be adjacent to A, and that these two are on "either side" of A, that is on opposite sides of A. All four of your cases had B adjacent to G, not a requirement, and had them both on the same side of A, which contradicts the condition given in the text.
That's an example of a math idiom --- "on either side of A" --- this means that the two items in question, B & G, cannot possibly be on the same side of A; they must be on opposites sides of A.
Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

CEO
CEO
Followers: 206

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Seven children are going to sit in seven chairs in a row [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2014, 05:20
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: Seven children are going to sit in seven chairs in a row   [#permalink] 23 Aug 2014, 05:20