Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 06:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Seven countries signed a treaty binding each of them to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 0

Seven countries signed a treaty binding each of them to [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2008, 10:12
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

31% (02:18) correct 69% (01:40) wrong based on 319 sessions
Seven countries signed a treaty binding each of them to perform specified actions on a certain fixed date, with the actions of each conditional on simultaneous action taken by the other countries. Each country was also to notify the six other countries when it had completed its action.

The simultaneous-action provision of the treaty leaves open the possibility that

(A) the compliance date was subject to postponement, according to the terms of the treaty.
(B) one of the countries might not be required to make any changes or take any steps in order to comply with the treaty, whereas all the other countries are so required.
(C) each country might have a well-founded excuse, based on the provision, for its own lack of compliance.
(D) the treaty specified that the signal for one of the countries to initiate action was notification by the other countries that they had completed action.
(E) there was ambiguity with respect to the date after which all actions contemplated in the treaty are to be compete.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 5

Re: CR: treaty [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2008, 10:42
d)
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma
Schools: Harvard, Penn, Maryland
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [3] , given: 3

Re: CR: treaty [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2008, 16:46
This post received
KUDOS
couldn't be D, the actions were "conditional on simuptaneous (I'm assuming simultaneous) action taken by the other countries," hence, all the countries would comply at the same time and the start signal for one is the start signal for all of them. I'm going with C, because if one country does not comply, then the other six countries have "well-founded excuses, based on the provision, for their own lack of compliance." meaning that if one doesn't pull the trigger the other six don't have to, becuase the actions are conditional on the simultaneous action of the other six countries in the treaty, which is one possibility that "the simultaneous-action provision of the treaty leaves open."

Answer: C
Director
Director
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 33

Re: CR: treaty [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2008, 17:43
B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: treaty [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2008, 19:00
puma wrote:
Seven countries signed a treaty binding each of them to perform specified actions on a certain fixed date, with the actions of each conditional on simuptaneous action taken by the other countries. Each country was also to notify the six other countries when it had completed its action.

The simuptaneous-action provision of the treaty leaves open the possibility that

a) the compliance date was subject to postponement, according to the terms of the treaty

b) one of the countries might not be required to make any changes or take any steps in order to comply with the treaty, whereas all the other countries are so required

c) each country might have a well-founded excuse, based on the provision, for its own lack of compliance

d) the treaty specified that the signal for one of the countries to initiate action was notification by the other countries that they had completed action

e) there was ambiguity with respect to the date after which all actions contemplated in the treaty are to be compete.

C seems like the only answer that would satisfy this weird treaty. Each country will wait for the other six to complete the action and notify it. This will never happen.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: treaty [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2008, 19:22
I think "C" is right, too.

It seems that there is no mechanism to communicate the start. Although there is a mechanism to communicate completion and a fixed date on which the actions must be performed.

Sound right?

cP

Just a few electrons short of a full cloud...

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: treaty [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2008, 02:30
I will go for "C"
Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 5

Re: CR: treaty [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2008, 07:57
Great explanation.

dk94588 wrote:
couldn't be D, the actions were "conditional on simuptaneous (I'm assuming simultaneous) action taken by the other countries," hence, all the countries would comply at the same time and the start signal for one is the start signal for all of them. I'm going with C, because if one country does not comply, then the other six countries have "well-founded excuses, based on the provision, for their own lack of compliance." meaning that if one doesn't pull the trigger the other six don't have to, becuase the actions are conditional on the simultaneous action of the other six countries in the treaty, which is one possibility that "the simultaneous-action provision of the treaty leaves open."

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: treaty [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2008, 09:30
OA is C
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

Re: CR: treaty [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 05:47
If each country has to wait for the others to complete their tasks first and then send this particular country the Task completion signal, then there is always the possibility that each of the countries is kept waiting for the signals from others.In this way none of the countries will have done its task,and will have the excuse that it did not receive the signal from the others.
Hence C.
It seems as if D is a paraphrase of the stimulus .
Any good reason to eliminate D.

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB - Co 2013
WE 1: IT Professional since 2006
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 8

Re: CR: treaty [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 07:15
dk94588 wrote:

I thought along the similar lines and decided that for any country to start the action, that country must know that others have atleast initiated (if not finished) their part of the bargain too. Or else all the countries might keep waiting indefinetly (software professionals would remember something similar from Pressman's Software engineering book)

But now that you put it the way you do, I am of the opinion that C expresses it better.

Respect,
Vaibhav

PS: Correct me if I am wrong.

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1133

Kudos [?]: 5183 [4] , given: 164

Re: CR: treaty [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 11:10
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
puma wrote:
Seven countries signed a treaty binding each of them to perform specified actions on a certain fixed date, with the actions of each conditional on simultaneous action taken by the other countries. Each country was also to notify the six other countries when it had completed its action.

The simultaneous-action provision of the treaty leaves open the possibility that

(A) the compliance date was subject to postponement, according to the terms of the treaty.
(B) one of the countries might not be required to make any changes or take any steps in order to comply with the treaty, whereas all the other countries are so required.
(C) each country might have a well-founded excuse, based on the provision, for its own lack of compliance.
(D) the treaty specified that the signal for one of the countries to initiate action was notification by the other countries that they had completed action.
(E) there was ambiguity with respect to the date after which all actions contemplated in the treaty are to be compete.

Read the question first: The simultaneous-action provision of the treaty leaves open the possibility that

Now read the stimulus and focus on what the simultaneous action provision is. It is that each of them needs to carry out certain actions on a fixed date simultaneously.
When I read this, a thought occurs to me. 'Who starts?'

Think of it this way, there are 7 people standing in a line. I say, "You all have to run simultaneously."
What do you think could be an issue? Each person could stand there waiting for someone to start because they have to run [highlight]simultaneously[/highlight].

Anyway, let's go on to the options.
Option (A) the compliance date was subject to postponement, according to the terms of the treaty.
The simultaneous provision has nothing to do with this possibility. These terms of the treaty, if they do exist, are irrelevant.

No relevance to the simultaneous provision.

Yes, it does leave open this possibility. Each country might have a well-founded excuse which is "We didn't see others taking action, so we didn't either because we had to take actions simultaneously."

Read this option along with the question stem: The simultaneous-action provision of the treaty leaves open the possibility that the treaty specified that the signal for one of the countries to initiate action was notification by the other countries that they had completed action. And anyway, the simultaneous action provision specified that all the countries have to act simultaneously. It did not leave open the possibility that one country could initiate after receiving completion signal from another.

The simultaneous provision has nothing to do with ambiguity with respect to end date.

Answer (C)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

Re: CR: treaty [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 11:33
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
puma wrote:

Read the question first: The simultaneous-action provision of the treaty leaves open the possibility that

Now read the stimulus and focus on what the simultaneous action provision is. It is that each of them needs to carry out certain actions on a fixed date simultaneously.
When I read this, a thought occurs to me. 'Who starts?'

Think of it this way, there are 7 people standing in a line. I say, "You all have to run simultaneously."
What do you think could be an issue? Each person could stand there waiting for someone to start because they have to run [highlight]simultaneously[/highlight].

Anyway, let's go on to the options.
Option (A) the compliance date was subject to postponement, according to the terms of the treaty.
The simultaneous provision has nothing to do with this possibility. These terms of the treaty, if they do exist, are irrelevant.

No relevance to the simultaneous provision.

Yes, it does leave open this possibility. Each country might have a well-founded excuse which is "We didn't see others taking action, so we didn't either because we had to take actions simultaneously."

Read this option along with the question stem: The simultaneous-action provision of the treaty leaves open the possibility that the treaty specified that the signal for one of the countries to initiate action was notification by the other countries that they had completed action. And anyway, the simultaneous action provision specified that all the countries have to act simultaneously. It did not leave open the possibility that one country could initiate after receiving completion signal from another.

The simultaneous provision has nothing to do with ambiguity with respect to end date.

Answer (C)

karishma dont u think D is a paraphrase of the stimulus

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1133

Kudos [?]: 5183 [4] , given: 164

Re: CR: treaty [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 12:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
mundasingh123 wrote:

karishma dont u think D is a paraphrase of the stimulus

Actually, I think the stimulus and option (D) say different things.

Stimulus says: All 7 had to perform specified actions on a fixed date simultaneously. Each country was to notify six others when it had completed its action.

D says that one country initiated its actions only after it received a signal from other countries that they had completed their actions. This is against the simultaneous specification of the treaty mentioned in the stimulus.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 2 IT
WE 2: 4 Software Analyst
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 57

Re: CR: treaty [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 22:45
man i fell for choice (D) too, but after reading Karishma's explanation, i have a better understanding now... +1 to you.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 6

Re: CR: treaty [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2010, 04:43
A.
Though there is a fixed time when each action has to start, it is conditional on the actions of other countries and hence a

Posted from my mobile device Image
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 109

Re: CR: treaty [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2010, 13:07
+1 C

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 27

Re: CR: treaty [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2011, 08:56
I narrowed the choices down to C and D.

On further analysis, I thought C is the best. In fact, it's the only one that really makes sense. D is simply paraphrasing the initial statement.

petrifiedbutstanding

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Software Design and Development

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 11

Re: CR: treaty [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2011, 11:55
IMO C

Argument : If you love long trips, you love the GMAT.
Conclusion : GMAT is long journey.

What does the author assume ?
Assumption : A long journey is a long trip.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

Re: Seven countries signed a treaty binding each of them to [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 21:39
C it is
Re: Seven countries signed a treaty binding each of them to   [#permalink] 28 Nov 2011, 21:39