Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 13:07

Happy Labor Day:

Free Access to New GMATClub Tests for all GMATClub Members!!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Several internet-based companies that use open-source

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 20

Several internet-based companies that use open-source [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 12:30
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

55% (02:33) correct 45% (02:02) wrong based on 40 sessions
Several internet-based companies that use open-source software for their day-to-day operations have been surprised at the degree to which volunteer contributions increase productivity. At the same time, the overall profits of most of these companies have increased, since a much smaller percentage of overall revenue per working hour must be directed toward salaries. Beginning internet companies should imitate this successful model by hiring only a small core staff and leaving the rest of the tasks to volunteers.

The argument above that internet companies will increase profits by hiring fewer full-time employees is based on which of the following assumptions?

A) Internet companies that use open-source software are better suited to function efficiently with only a small core staff than traditional companies.
B) The amount of administrative work to be performed in internet companies is small enough that it can reasonably be completed by fewer full-time employees.
C) Full-time employees and volunteers will have different levels of access to most projects undertaken by the company.
D) Internet companies will hire more full-time employees as they become more profitable due to volunteer contributions.
E) Companies that rely on both full-time employees and volunteer labor increase their overall revenue per working hour.
Current Student
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Internet companies vs traditional companies - assumption [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2011, 00:23
Clean B

clue here is 'Several internet-based companies that use open-source software for their day-to-day operations '

hence they assume the few FT employees can also do all the admin work.
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: Internet companies vs traditional companies - assumption [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2011, 01:52
Clearly the answer is B as explained above

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.65
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: Internet companies vs traditional companies - assumption [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2011, 14:22
I picked E...If you negate E the argument falls apart.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: None
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.01
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 32

Re: Internet companies vs traditional companies - assumption [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2011, 23:25
Gud question .
Tricked me into A. :(
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: Internet companies vs traditional companies - assumption [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2011, 01:27
i chose B too.. pretty much the similar reasoning as given by Sudhir...
while E is a good candidate, I feel E does not talk about the conclusion of hiring only a small core staff...

whats the OA and OE?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: Internet companies vs traditional companies - assumption [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2011, 01:29
GMATPASSION wrote:
Gud question .
Tricked me into A. :(

yea it was a good trick.... which is why, although i had nailed the answer in 2:00 mins, i had to go back to the argument and hunt for "traditional companies". took me an whooping extra 25 sec :-(
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Internet companies vs traditional companies - assumption [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2011, 01:11
I shall go with E

Several internet-based companies that use open-source software for their day-to-day operations have been surprised at the degree to which volunteer contributions increase productivity. At the same time, the overall profits of most of these companies have increased, since a much smaller percentage of overall revenue per working hour must be directed toward salaries. Beginning internet companies should imitate this successful model by hiring only a small core staff and leaving the rest of the tasks to volunteers.

The argument above that internet companies will increase profits by hiring fewer full-time employees is based on which of the following assumptions?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 4

Re: Internet companies vs traditional companies - assumption [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2011, 03:15
B for me.

If the amount of administrative work to be performed in an internet company is NOT small enough to be completed by a small task-force of full time employees, then the "hire fewer employees" model does not work

E is wrong because it is Irrelevant
The argument tells us that the companies become more profitable because of reduced expenses, not because of increased revenues.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Internet companies vs traditional companies - assumption [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 01:58
agdimple333 wrote:

A) Internet companies that use open-source software are better suited to function efficiently with only a small core staff than traditional companies.
B) The amount of administrative work to be performed in internet companies is small enough that it can reasonably be completed by fewer full-time employees.
C) Full-time employees and volunteers will have different levels of access to most projects undertaken by the company.
D) Internet companies will hire more full-time employees as they become more profitable due to volunteer contributions.
E) Companies that rely on both full-time employees and volunteer labor increase their overall revenue per working hour.

agdimple333, can you please post the OA.
I got B.

Thanks and Regards,
GM.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 19

Re: Several internet-based companies that use open-source [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2013, 23:13
1. If you negate E then it states :
Companies that rely on both full-time employees and volunteer labor may not increase their overall revenue per working hour.
Negating E makes the conclusion fall apart.
2. Where as negating B means :
The amount of administrative work to be performed in internet companies is not small enough that it can reasonably be completed by fewer full-time employees. This could mean that volunteer will perform the administrative task and this does not affect the conclusion.

Pl post the official answer.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.86
WE: Analyst (Advertising and PR)

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 3

Re: Several internet-based companies that use open-source [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2013, 00:34
IMO, the conclusion of this argument is at the last sentence of the argument. Correct me if I am wrong.

Don't be afraid to fail, but be afraid not to try

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.81
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 12

Re: Several internet-based companies that use open-source [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2013, 00:25
I think the correct answer is B.

Since assumptions are new information which are not mentioned or implied from the question stem, E cannot be the correct answer. E can be implied from "At the same time, the overall profits of most of these companies have increased, since a much smaller percentage of overall revenue per working hour must be directed toward salaries."

Coming back to B, negating B would mean the basic administrative tasks of internet companies will not be successfully or efficient completed by small group of employees. Hence the business model in the conclusion, which is deemed successful, would fail as company cannot run on small set of employees. This confirms B is correct answer.

Citius, Altius, Fortius

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 25

Re: Several internet-based companies that use open-source [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2013, 02:21

I don't think it's B. Who said anything about administrative work in specific? Am I wrong?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.81
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 12

Re: Several internet-based companies that use open-source [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2013, 02:30
Skag55 wrote:

I don't think it's B. Who said anything about administrative work in specific? Am I wrong?

But assumption questions do introduce new related information. You can check for any other Assumption question. I know 'Administrative Tasks' are not even mentioned in the passage but it does have a related contextual reference.
I think, one can very safely assume that without administrative tasks a company will fall apart. Hence they have specifically mentioned Administrative tasks in particular and not any other task such as, Housekeeping, etc. For example, if housekeeping jobs are not done properly because of the lack of employees the company might still work and generate profits under the model proposed.

I guess I am right, as we still don't know the Source OA of this question. But B makes more sense compared to any other option.

Citius, Altius, Fortius

Intern
Intern
Schools: IMD '16
GMAT 1: 500 Q V

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Several internet-based companies that use open-source [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2013, 08:30
Options: B for me

A) Internet companies that use open-source software are better suited to function efficiently with only a small core staff than traditional companies. ** comparison should be avoided.. comparing with traditional.. out of scope**
B) The amount of administrative work to be performed in internet companies is small enough that it can reasonably be completed by fewer full-time employees. **Correct, amout of work is small so fewer fulltime companies arre enough**
C) Full-time employees and volunteers will have different levels of access to most projects undertaken by the company.*** not helping with access**
D) Internet companies will hire more full-time employees as they become more profitable due to volunteer contributions. **Useless**
** focus is on lessnumber of full time employees**
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Several internet-based companies that use open-source [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2013, 08:40
E for me;

option E clearly provides the reason as to how lowering full time employees and hiring volunteers leads to higher profits.

Not B; it is probably a shell game answer. Nowhere, are we told about administrative work , it could well be the fact that non administrative work load can be handled by fewer FT employees . Therefore, B cannot be the assumption.

--It's one thing to get defeated, but another to accept it.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Several internet-based companies that use open-source [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2013, 00:45
IMO its NOT E.
Its an assumption question. If the option E said DO NOT as below then it would be correct
"Companies that rely on both full-time employees and volunteer labor DO NOT increase their overall revenue per working hour."

If the assumption that "Companies that rely on both full-time employees and volunteer labor increase their overall revenue per working hour" is correct than the argument is wrong. And it would be a weaken question.

IMHO answer is B

Please give Kudos if you like the post

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1243

Kudos [?]: 3437 [2] , given: 183

Re: Several internet-based companies that use open-source [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2013, 21:55
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sshivanis04 wrote:
1. If you negate E then it states :
Companies that rely on both full-time employees and volunteer labor may not increase their overall revenue per working hour.
Negating E makes the conclusion fall apart.
2. Where as negating B means :
The amount of administrative work to be performed in internet companies is not small enough that it can reasonably be completed by fewer full-time employees. This could mean that volunteer will perform the administrative task and this does not affect the conclusion.

Pl post the official answer.

Got a PM to respond to this one.

Frankly, there is no correct choice here. The question as well as the option statements are not of the highest quality. As is, no option statement qualifies as the correct choice.

Let me elaborate.

What is the conclusion of the passage?

Beginning internet companies should imitate this successful model by hiring only a small core staff and leaving the rest of the tasks to volunteers. ( we are talking about small staff i.e. we are talking in terms of absolute numbers, not in terms of comparative terms such as fewer or greater. This understanding is ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL if you solve GMAT Assumption questions. These are the keywords which make or break an option statement)

What is the basis of the conclusion?

At the same time, the overall profits of most of these companies have increased, since a much smaller percentage of overall revenue per working hour must be directed toward salaries - The first part i.e. the underlined part probably means that the profits of these internet companies have increased over time. What is the reason for this increase? The reason is that a smaller percentage of revenue must be given as salaries. It means that a lesser percentage of revenue now goes towards salaries now than before.

So, the argument is like this:

Since the profits of internet companies have increased because of lower outgo of salaries as proportion of revenues, the new starting internet companies should imitate this model and hire only a small staff.

Now, let's look at option B:

B) The amount of administrative work to be performed in internet companies is small enough that it can reasonably be completed by fewer full-time employees. - "Fewer" is a comparative term which means that the work can now be completed with less number of employees than before.

But is the conclusion about "Reducing" the number of employees? Or even is the conclusion a comparative statement?

The answer to both of these questions is NO. The conclusion only says that the new internet should hire a small staff, not fewer staff than someone else. So, option B is incorrect.

Option E:

My first question is: "increase from what?". I have to assume that it is talking about general increase over time. Even if I assume that this option is incorrect because we are talking in terms of profits. Even if revenue per working hour does not increase, the profits may still increase if the costs go down. Rather, the basis of the conclusion is talking about decline in costs, not increase in revenues. So, this option statement is also incorrect.

Other options are also incorrect for different reasons.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 102

CAT Tests
Several internet-based companies that use open-source [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2014, 08:32
egmat wrote:
[
But is the conclusion about "Reducing" the number of employees? Or even is the conclusion a comparative statement?

The answer to both of these questions is NO. The conclusion only says that the new internet should hire a small staff, not fewer staff than someone else. So, option B is incorrect.

ng about decline in costs, not increase in revenues. So, this option statement is also incorrect.

Other options are also incorrect for different reasons.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

so? none of the option is correct? it's a question found in gmatclub Tests..
Several internet-based companies that use open-source   [#permalink] 27 Jul 2014, 08:32