Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Oct 2014, 00:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Several recent studies suggest that a child born into a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Several recent studies suggest that a child born into a [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2006, 20:42
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Several recent studies suggest that a child born into a family whose members have allergies will probably themselves develop allergies following the onset of a minor viral infection.

(A) a child born into a family whose members have allergies will probably themselves develop allergies
(B) children born into families whose members have allergies will probably themselves develop allergies
(C) a child born into a family the members of which have allergies will probably develop an allergy
(D) in those families where members have allergies, children will probably develop allergies themselves
(E) children born into a family in which there are allergies will themselves probably develop an allergy

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."

- Bernard Edmonds

Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2006, 20:47
(B) looks best here. "Themselves" clearly refers to the children because other family members already have allergies.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2006, 21:23
Now I have allergy :lol:

Well, I think "B" is correct but....I go for "C".

What's wrong with 'C'? Any solid reason?
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2006, 23:25
vivek123 wrote:

Sorry Vivek, I didn't mean to cause any allergies. I got this one right but by POE. And as experts here have noted that is better to get a wrong answer for a correct reason than to get a correct answer for wrong reason.

I think in C, the meaning of original sentence is distorted by "an allergy"
a child born into a family the members of which have allergies will probably develop an allergy --> Doesn't it mean that the child develops a particular (known) allergy?

Need some help from SC gurus such as TeHCM, Matt, psd.....

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."

- Bernard Edmonds

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2006, 23:38
B.

C doesn't sound right to me, family the members of which.....isn't clear whether which refers to the members or the family....my 2 Cents.
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2006, 00:52
lhotseface wrote:
B.

C doesn't sound right to me, family the members of which.....isn't clear whether which refers to the members or the family....my 2 Cents.

lhotseface,

a child born into a family the members of which have allergies will probably develop an allergy

Is the correct form. "which" correctly refers to "family" & not to "members".
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2006, 00:56
You are right.

Take 2 : Don't we need "that" instead of "which" in B. If we remove the non-restrictive clause introduced by "which", the statement is in trouble.

vivek123 wrote:
lhotseface wrote:
B.

lhotseface,

a child born into a family the members of which have allergies will probably develop an allergy

SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2006, 00:59
giddi77 wrote:
vivek123 wrote:

Sorry Vivek, I didn't mean to cause any allergies. I got this one right but by POE. And as experts here have noted that is better to get a wrong answer for a correct reason than to get a correct answer for wrong reason.

a child born into a family the members of which have allergies will probably develop an allergy --> Doesn't it mean that the child develops a particular (known) allergy?

Yeah :-D , that makes sense Girish, very well caught.
Three cheers to you! :)
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2006, 03:39
lhotseface wrote:
You are right.

Take 2 : Don't we need "that" instead of "which" in B. If we remove the non-restrictive clause introduced by "which", the statement is in trouble.

vivek123 wrote:
lhotseface wrote:
B.

lhotseface,

No, it shouldn't be, "which" or "that" will not make any difference in this case. "which" is non-restrictive OR portrays less important information but still points to "family", & in this case we can't say it is pointing to different family!

Anyway, nice discussion :)
Others feel free to add. Actually, nowadays we are lacking hot discussions, which lead to lot of learning!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2006, 07:54
B is simple, best and also talks in general abour children families members
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: allergy part2- this time the whole family is allergi [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2006, 12:12
giddi77 wrote:
Several recent studies suggest that a child born into a family whose members have allergies will probably themselves develop allergies following the onset of a minor viral infection.

(A) a child born into a family whose members have allergies will probably themselves develop allergies
(B) children born into families whose members have allergies will probably themselves develop allergies
(C) a child born into a family the members of which have allergies will probably develop an allergy
(D) in those families where members have allergies, children will probably develop allergies themselves
(E) children born into a family in which there are allergies will themselves probably develop an allergy

The marked parts have the same meaning and function. C is just wordier.

I agree with B
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2006, 22:10
vivek123 wrote:
giddi77 wrote:
vivek123 wrote:

Yeah :-D , that makes sense Girish, very well caught.
Three cheers to you! :)

Thanks Vivek! It should be three cheers to GMATClub and all of the experts like you who have shared their wisdom here and made learning the SC concepts so much fun!

- Bernard Edmonds

[#permalink] 27 Jan 2006, 22:10