Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 07:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Several studies have found that the coronary patients who

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Several studies have found that the coronary patients who [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2011, 11:35
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

57% (02:10) correct 43% (01:09) wrong based on 24 sessions
Several studies have found that the coronary patients who exercise most actively have half or less than half the chance of dying of a heart attack as those who are sedentary.

A. have half or less than half the chance of dying of a heart attack as those who are sedentary

B. have half the chance, or less, of dying of a heart attack than those who are sedentary do.

C. have half the chance that they will die of a heart attack or less, than those who are sedentary do.

D. are at least 50 % less likely to die of a heart attack as those who are sedentary.

E. are at least 50% less likely than those who are sedentary to die of a heart attack.
Manager
Manager

Re: Several studies have found that... [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2011, 11:37
my material says that the answer is E.. but i marked B.

Can someone post the explanation..

A,C,D are out.. why is E correct and B incorrect??
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 33

Re: Several studies have found that... [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2011, 12:02
A. have half or less than half the chance of dying of a heart attack as those who are sedentary
half or less than half is just wordy//less than..as
B. have half the chance, or less, of dying of a heart attack than those who are sedentary do.
Awkward, Wordy, Comma splice ", or less", "who are sedantary do" doesn't make any sense.
C. have half the chance that they will die of a heart attack or less, than those who are sedentary do.
Awakward. Can heart attack be less?
D. are at least 50 % less likely to die of a heart attack as those who are sedentary.
less..as
E. are at least 50% less likely than those who are sedentary to die of a heart attack.
Correct!

If I look absent-minded or insane, I am just living a dream of being successful. If you still wonder why I am like this, you have no idea how success tastes like!

Manager
Manager

Re: Several studies have found that... [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2011, 12:07
but E says- "who are sedentary to die of a heart attack".. isnt that a misplaced modifier?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE: Web Development (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 33

Re: Several studies have found that... [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2011, 12:16
amritgodofwar wrote:
but E says- "who are sedentary to die of a heart attack".. isnt that a misplaced modifier?

I agree about the modifier that it is misplaced. But other choices are really awkward. I mean B has far more serious errors, and it lacks style too.

If I look absent-minded or insane, I am just living a dream of being successful. If you still wonder why I am like this, you have no idea how success tastes like!

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1697 [2] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Several studies have found that... [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2011, 20:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1.The reason why A,B, and C are out is that, they use a positive but questionable term ‘chance’ for describing a negative factors such as dying of a heart attack. It is customary to use chance with happy and positive events such as winning a jackpot or getting admission into the Whartons or the Harvards etc. For such unsavory phenomena as dying, risk is the fitting term

2. D uses wrong idiom – less likely as

3. If the phrase “who are sedentary to die of a heart attack" is misplaced in E, where else can we fit in that better? You can not, in my opinion. Therefore sgupta0827 is right in saying that others have more serious errors and lack style.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 7

Re: Several studies have found that... [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2011, 22:56
E because it is just better than others

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-guide-to-the-official-guide-13-for-gmat-review-134210.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manager
Manager
WE: Design (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 40

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Several studies have found that... [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2011, 23:11
A,B,C...discarded...
between d & E, E has correct usage of than ... so E

Kaustubh

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Insurance)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 16

Re: Several studies have found that... [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2011, 23:16
E is the best among the given choices. Less likely ..... should be followed by than( Comparative form)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

Re: Several studies have found that the coronary patients who [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2014, 01:19
amritgodofwar wrote:
Several studies have found that the coronary patients who exercise most actively have half or less than half the chance of dying of a heart attack as those who are sedentary.

half chance ...than
is not idiomatic. so, A,B and C are out
less likely to die as
is not idomatic. So D is out

this sc problem is purely idiom testing, a rare situation happening on gmat sc land

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Re: Several studies have found that the coronary patients who   [#permalink] 16 Feb 2014, 01:19