Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 04:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

SEVERANCE

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Sep 2004
Posts: 371
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
SEVERANCE [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2005, 02:32
Unlike most severance packages, which require workers to stay until the last day scheduled to collect, workers at the automobile company are eligible for its severance package even if they find a new job before they are terminated.

A) the last day scheduled to collect, workers at the automobile company are eligible for its severance package

B)the last day they are scheduled to collect, workers are eligible for it at the automobile companys severance package

C)their last scheduled day to collect, the automobile company offers its severance package to workers.

D) their last scheduled day in order to collect, the automobile companys severance package is available to workers.

E) the last day that they are scheduled to collect, the automobile companys severance package is available to workers
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 13 Jan 2005
Posts: 39
Location: Moscow, Russia
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2005, 03:44
My answer is E
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 1226
Location: Taiwan
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SEVERANCE [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2005, 05:02
saurabhmalpani wrote:
Unlike most severance packages, which require workers to stay until the last day scheduled to collect, workers at the automobile company are eligible for its severance package even if they find a new job before they are terminated.

A) the last day scheduled to collect, workers at the automobile company are eligible for its severance package

B)the last day they are scheduled to collect, workers are eligible for it at the automobile companys severance package

C)their last scheduled day to collect, the automobile company offers its severance package to workers.

D) their last scheduled day in order to collect, the automobile companys severance package is available to workers.

E) the last day that they are scheduled to collect, the automobile companys severance package is available to workers


only D, and E make the comparison logical.

In choice D, 'packages' last scheduled day' is strange. I go for E
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Posts: 700
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SEVERANCE [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2005, 05:16
saurabhmalpani wrote:
Unlike most severance packages, which require workers to stay until the last day scheduled to collect, workers at the automobile company are eligible for its severance package even if they find a new job before they are terminated.

A) the last day scheduled to collect, workers at the automobile company are eligible for its severance package

B)the last day they are scheduled to collect, workers are eligible for it at the automobile companys severance package

C)their last scheduled day to collect, the automobile company offers its severance package to workers.

D) their last scheduled day in order to collect, the automobile companys severance package is available to workers.

E) the last day that they are scheduled to collect, the automobile companys severance package is available to workers



A, B, C have bad inaccurate comparison's.

Severance Packages Vs [bad Choices - A, B, C].

Between D and E, i cant seem to spot anything wrong with either. I go with D because it sounds better to my ears. Dunno how to isolate the error between "D" and "E". Anyone spot a grammatical error with either "D" or "E"?
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 1447
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2005, 05:37
"E"
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Nov 2004
Posts: 193
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2005, 06:41
severance packages, which require workers to stay until their last scheduled day in order to collect

severance packages, which require workers to X in order to collect

now, severance packages dont require workers to collect--

E says the thing correctly,again as chunjuwa said "their last scheduled day" is strange.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 5252
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2005, 06:53
"D" is the most concise.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Sep 2004
Posts: 371
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2005, 10:48
I had the same problem was toen apart betweeb D/E. I am not able to spot any grammatical mistake in D or in E so i lil confused.

Let's wait for some more discussion and then i will post the OA.

Saurabh Malpani
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2004
Posts: 905
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2005, 18:05
It is (D) IMO. their refers to workers.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 1226
Location: Taiwan
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2005, 19:44
saurabhmalpani wrote:
I had the same problem was toen apart betweeb D/E. I am not able to spot any grammatical mistake in D or in E so i lil confused.

Let's wait for some more discussion and then i will post the OA.

Saurabh Malpani


Hi, D is strange, we can look as such.

Unlike most severance packages, which(means packages) require workers to stay until their last scheduled day in order to collect ......


packages require workers ....in order to.......


it seems to say packages have purposes. sound strange?

OA please
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Sep 2004
Posts: 371
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2005, 21:31
OA is D.

Thanks for participating!
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 1226
Location: Taiwan
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2005, 06:01
now I hope somebody elaborate b/w D and E :cry:
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2004
Posts: 1498
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SEVERANCE [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2005, 06:21
saurabhmalpani wrote:
Unlike most severance packages, which require workers to stay until the last day scheduled to collect, workers at the automobile company are eligible for its severance package even if they find a new job before they are terminated.

D) their last scheduled day in order to collect, the automobile companys severance package is available to workers.

E) the last day that they are scheduled to collect, the automobile companys severance package is available to workers


The difference between D and E is subtle. D is better over E, because, i believe, E is passive.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Posts: 700
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SEVERANCE [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2005, 12:50
MA wrote:
saurabhmalpani wrote:
Unlike most severance packages, which require workers to stay until the last day scheduled to collect, workers at the automobile company are eligible for its severance package even if they find a new job before they are terminated.

D) their last scheduled day in order to collect, the automobile companys severance package is available to workers.

E) the last day that they are scheduled to collect, the automobile companys severance package is available to workers


The difference between D and E is subtle. D is better over E, because, i believe, E is passive.


MA, i dont see how u're saying E is passive. Subject/Object arent really interchanged for D and E.

Besides brevity, i dont see any reason why D is better than E.

If anyone sees any other subtle difference please post.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2004
Posts: 905
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2005, 17:15
chunjuwu wrote:
now I hope somebody elaborate b/w D and E :cry:


(E) has a very basic Problem. "they" can refer to wrokers and thus can kill the whole sentence. (E) unambiguously avoids that stance.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Posts: 700
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 May 2005, 08:13
jpv wrote:
chunjuwu wrote:
now I hope somebody elaborate b/w D and E :cry:


(E) has a very basic Problem. "they" can refer to wrokers and thus can kill the whole sentence. (E) unambiguously avoids that stance.


What is wrong with the pronoun "they" referring to workers? Is it distorting the meaning?

D says severance packages require workers to stay until their scheduled day in order to collect.....This means you have to stay until the last day if you want to collect........

E says severance packages require workers to stay until the last day that they (workers) are scheduled to collect....Are you saying this possibly changes the meaning because the pronoun doesnt link/connect the idea which workers its referring to [just fired workers or all workers, etc, etc]?

I'm guessing thats what you mean?
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2004
Posts: 905
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 May 2005, 09:06
Yes.
gmataquaguy wrote:
E says severance packages require workers to stay until the last day that they (workers) are scheduled to collect....


Sentence in quotes means "worker are scheduled to collect", which is wrong. It is Package, which is scheduled to collect.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2004
Posts: 1498
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SEVERANCE [#permalink] New post 01 May 2005, 10:25
gmataquaguy wrote:
MA wrote:
saurabhmalpani wrote:
Unlike most severance packages, which require workers to stay until the last day scheduled to collect, workers at the automobile company are eligible for its severance package even if they find a new job before they are terminated.

D) their last scheduled day in order to collect, the automobile companys severance package is available to workers.
E) the last day that they are scheduled to collect, the automobile companys severance package is available to workers

The difference between D and E is subtle. D is better over E, because, i believe, E is passive.
MA, i dont see how u're saying E is passive. Subject/Object arent really interchanged for D and E. Besides brevity, i dont see any reason why D is better than E. If anyone sees any other subtle difference please post.

The following part of E is in passive: that they are scheduled to collect,

But saurabh, is not the question has typo? i believe the subject of the sentence should be in possesive form as under: the automobile company's.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Posts: 700
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 May 2005, 18:36
jpv wrote:
Yes.
gmataquaguy wrote:
E says severance packages require workers to stay until the last day that they (workers) are scheduled to collect....


Sentence in quotes means "worker are scheduled to collect", which is wrong. It is Package, which is scheduled to collect.


I think we are talking about different things.

After reading your last post, i'm guessing ure saying "they" ambigiously refers to workers but in reality it should refer to packages??

In my opinion the pronoun they should (and does) refer to workers in E just like in e.g. D. Anyone else care to comment on the discussion we are having?
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Posts: 700
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SEVERANCE [#permalink] New post 01 May 2005, 18:39
MA wrote:
gmataquaguy wrote:
MA wrote:
saurabhmalpani wrote:
Unlike most severance packages, which require workers to stay until the last day scheduled to collect, workers at the automobile company are eligible for its severance package even if they find a new job before they are terminated.

D) their last scheduled day in order to collect, the automobile companys severance package is available to workers.
E) the last day that they are scheduled to collect, the automobile companys severance package is available to workers

The difference between D and E is subtle. D is better over E, because, i believe, E is passive.
MA, i dont see how u're saying E is passive. Subject/Object arent really interchanged for D and E. Besides brevity, i dont see any reason why D is better than E. If anyone sees any other subtle difference please post.

The following part of E is in passive: that they are scheduled to collect,

But saurabh, is not the question has typo? i believe the subject of the sentence should be in possesive form as under: the automobile company's.


What would be the active form of your phrase in red?
Re: SEVERANCE   [#permalink] 01 May 2005, 18:39
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
6 Experts publish their posts in the topic Based on accounts of several witnesses, the avohden 10 25 Oct 2013, 10:53
Performance not improving... Severely depressed :-( melguy 1 25 Apr 2011, 19:56
1 Several Questions OpenBook 4 23 Jan 2011, 21:46
UF's MAIB - Several Questions lngbrdr 5 05 May 2007, 08:08
Several senior officials jeunesis 12 13 Jun 2006, 10:28
Display posts from previous: Sort by

SEVERANCE

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 31 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.