Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 10:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Shaken

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2006
Posts: 499
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Shaken [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 13:55
I have taken the GMAT 3 times:
1) 640 Q: 38 V40
2) 610 Q: 43 V:31
3) 630 Q:44 V:33

One of the schools I am wait listed at has asked me to retake. It has been 6 months since my last test and I have not looked at any material. So I took a GMAT PRep and got a 680, met with a tutor, started reviewing again, took the second GMAT Prep and scored another 680.

Then I hit the powerprep and got a 690 (I know the test seems easier), and then I took the second powerprep and scored a 720. So with the review and the tutor along with the practice tests I have felt confident I have a good shot at improving my score.

Today I took a Princeton Review and scored a 570 Q:38 V:30 - my lowest score since well over a year ago. It shocked me really.

Anyone have experience with the Princeton tests?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 06 Feb 2007
Posts: 1024
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 14:46
GMAT Prep and PowerPrep are the best estimates of what your actual GMAT score is going to be. If you are looking for more practice tests, the second best alternative would be Manhattan GMAT CATs. Princeton review tests are better than Kaplan's, however, they are still not good predictors of your GMAT score. Based on your recent GMAT Prep scores, it looks like your actual score is going to be in very high 600s - low 700s.

Good luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2006
Posts: 499
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 16:24
Yeah my only concern is at this point I feel like I have truly exhausted the "official" practice material, including the GMATPrep and Powerprep tests. I just dont want to go in with overinflated confidence and be let down - but I am shooting for high 6's low 7's, that would be enough for me.

I will try out the Manhattan exams.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 2308
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 18:21
I liked using the retired paper tests. They are official questions so you can get the proper feel for what is being asked. They are not CATs though, so they won't help much with timing, etc.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2006
Posts: 1360
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 20:43
Kaplan is not that good at predicting scores, but it's good for working on timing. Kaplan RCs and CRs are quite longer than GMAT's so if you can manage Kaplan with time to spare, then your timing is OK+.

Hope it helps. L.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2006
Posts: 499
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2007, 05:33
pelihu wrote:
I liked using the retired paper tests. They are official questions so you can get the proper feel for what is being asked. They are not CATs though, so they won't help much with timing, etc.


I have some of the paper tests - bought a pack of them - I think there are 3-4 of them.

I will use them over the next week before the exam.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2003
Posts: 19
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2007, 13:44
OasisNYK wrote:
pelihu wrote:
I liked using the retired paper tests. They are official questions so you can get the proper feel for what is being asked. They are not CATs though, so they won't help much with timing, etc.


I have some of the paper tests - bought a pack of them - I think there are 3-4 of them.

I will use them over the next week before the exam.


have 12 of them if interested, - let me know.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 07 Aug 2006
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2007, 22:43
The GMAT Prep practice tests are the only one's available which are good predictors of your score, however they are only a good predictor the first time you take them.

So once you have taken the 2 practice tests the only really good predictor of your score will be the real test, although the practice tests from Princeton review, Kaplan etc are likely to be in the ball park.

If you have taken the GMAT 3 times before and have got similar scores then you are going to need to do something different in your preparation this time. Maybe it's the tutor that will make the difference this time or maybe you will crack an area of the test that you have been particularly struggling on.

Best of luck.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2006
Posts: 499
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2007, 07:49
prepfortests wrote:
The GMAT Prep practice tests are the only one's available which are good predictors of your score, however they are only a good predictor the first time you take them.

So once you have taken the 2 practice tests the only really good predictor of your score will be the real test, although the practice tests from Princeton review, Kaplan etc are likely to be in the ball park.

If you have taken the GMAT 3 times before and have got similar scores then you are going to need to do something different in your preparation this time. Maybe it's the tutor that will make the difference this time or maybe you will crack an area of the test that you have been particularly struggling on.

Best of luck.


Yes I believe you are right and that has been my ongoing concern. I have exhausted the only tru indicator of performance so the real test is all thats left. The tutor has helped me in some of my weak spots so we will see how things go next Thursday. I believe I will get a higher score, my fundamentals are much stronger then before even though I always felt prepared to do well.
  [#permalink] 02 Mar 2007, 07:49
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Tabacco companies, shaken by a string of legal setbacks in GC14 1 06 Feb 2013, 06:09
Shaken by the GMAT! passion4ivymba 10 10 Jun 2011, 03:37
GMAT experience..shaken my confidence dghosh 1 03 Nov 2010, 07:08
1 Shaken by crisis, MBA schools retooling emphasis nink 4 17 Feb 2009, 08:12
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Shaken

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: bagdbmba, WaterFlowsUp



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.